Want a Raid1 With a backup drive added??

ButchB

n00b
Hello,
I am using a new Asus M5A97 R2.0 MB and would like to setup a raid1 using two 1TB drives from WD. After win7 64bit is up and running can I put a different size HD on the board and create a system image and backup. I would like to use the WD Acronis supplied software from WD.

Thank you for any help and advice you can give me.
Butch

Are you wanting to "double backup" you data or just have a base install point for windows?

If you are wanting to backup so you never loose data, you will need three drives.
First two for Raid 1.
3rd to have windows backups on.
So yes. You can install a third drive on a raid system.

I feel the raid1 will protect against hd failure and a system image and regular backups will keep everything in a safe place.

Let me try and explain. When I first put the system together for the lady I just used Raid1. Well sure as hell one drive failed but the raid1 kept me in the game with just replacing the bad drive and recreating the array. Next I get a call windows won't boot. I disconnected one drive and no boot. Tried the other drive no boot. No windows boot from either drive. Tried to repair it but no go. I had to do a win7 fresh install.

That is why I thought I could clone her install on a third drive and save time when she has trouble again.

I hope this explains my questions.

Oh, Can I use a smaller drive for the image and backups??
Thanks again,
Butch

Was hoping someone might have done this before and offer some info on trying it. Hate to spend money on something that might not work.

Thanks,
Butch

Waitwhat? You want to run a "backup" image to a drive on the *same system*?
Rather bad idea there. Say your PSU goes *foom* and spikes everything, bye bye backup.

Tons better to have the backup on a separate machine. Doubly better for it to be in a separate building.

I agree with FnordMan, if you aren't using the 3rd drive as a backup external to the machine you're backing up, it's not really worth the hardware cost. You'd be better off to sort out what's causing the existing failures, as it sounds like there are some issues there.

Set up a backup drive that gets disconnected from the system, and backup up periodically (or two and just swap them out). You can make a DVD-based "base install" image of the system to put in a safe place in case of a crash again.

I will look into getting an external drive. I would like to put the system image on it so as time goes on if needed I won't have to install all her programs along with windows. I just need to make an image once in awhile to keep current. Along with the image I would keep her pictures, documents and other items separate on the external disk. I would hope to be able to set that backup auto so when she adds anything to the files or folders it is backed up.

Is this possible?
Thanks, Butch

What software are you using for backups and or system image??

At the moment? Acronis True Image. Wouldn't recommend that one anymroe due to stupid licensing practices.

If you want something decently good and free (for personal use) there's Macrium Reflect

WD has a version of Acronis for free to use. Does Acronis have a bootable system Image? I'm still trying to pick an external hd. Leaning towards WD because of the free software. I'll look at the Macrium. It really has to be simple so I can explain to the young lady how to use it.

Thanks

Seems like it's time to move to a legit controller and better drives to me. RAID 1 on standard mb's are worthless anyways not only from a performance level, but reliability as well.

Back