Wanna see some [H]ard Case Fan Deployment?

Tordek

[H]ard|Gawd
An idea which seems stable... (hopefully)

hard_case_fan.jpg

yes... those are rubber bands...

Hey, thats pretty damn smart.

and it isolates any vibrations, to boot :D

Almost as l33t as my four 80mm fans that were daisy chained and secured with zipties.

Thankfully, I no longer need that setup ^_^

EDIT

Holy shit...are those drives stable in that set up? Nothing at all supporting the other side :eek:

cool!!! (pun intended)

you should paint the case brown, and call it "the floater mod"

(no, I'm not calling your computer s**t) just saw the drives and fan just kind of floating there, and with my sick immagination.......

I've run drives with only 1 side of screws for years. Never hurt anything and they even survived multiple lan trips. I always hated those 3.5" > 5 1/4" trays, so I just used one side of screws.

btw...good idea too ;)

Not a bad idea! I been thinking about doing something to get air in from my drive bays. Well now I know what to do!

Hey, I just thought of something, rubberbands loose thier elasticity after a while, they crack and fall apart, so maybe string would be a better solution? or how about the elastic bands you put in clothing?

Deimos said:
Hey, I just thought of something, rubberbands loose thier elasticity after a while, they crack and fall apart, so maybe string would be a better solution? or how about the elastic bands you put in clothing?
i was thinking the same thing

nylon fishing line.
I like the rubber bands though. cheap and easy to replace.
Ive also used double sided tape.

magoo said:
nylon fishing line.

Fishing line. The rubber bands will break in time. The hard drives are a totally great idea. I've never even thought of that although I usually only screw in on the one side of the case anyway. I suppost putting a 3.5 hdd in a big bay is a great way to maximize your space (since many people have 4-5 hdd's and 1-2 cd/dvd drives. I'm doing that tonight in one of mine actually-thanks!

magoo said:
nylon fishing line.

I like the small bungee cords sold at home centers. About a foot long, but only about 1/4" thick. Won't dry out like rubber bands. I use the ones that come in loops, but usually untie them and tie them off shorter. Use two loops between the sides of the 5 1/4" bays to hold your drives. Put a twist in the loop for extra holding power. Plus it eliminates any drive vibration transferred to the case.

Here's the same idea with a different method............ :eek: I still need to either cut the screws to the right length or get shorter ones............. ;)

dsc001410dm.jpg

nice one BioHazard, but you don't get the vibration dampening with bolts. i'm thinking that the right size o-rings held on with bolts through the fan mounting holes, and outside the drive cage would work nicely, and as a bonus they'd be black :)

tennis racket strings.
5-6 bucks the cheapest ones...

Will almost last forever

If you've ever taken apart a large disk device (Ex: CD-Rom) you see the rubber grommets that "float" the laser assembly. They kinda look like miniature car-tire rims w/o the wheels, but all soft rubber. I think a smaller diamater bolt, with that around it where it mounts to the fan/case (pick one) would help in dampening. I'm cheap, I use them between the fans and the case for my case fans :)

mickey987 said:
That's very interesting idea. Wouldn't the hard drive eventually wiggle it's way out the string and just collaspe?
It might, but I'd worry more about the loss in performance (30% or more) and the long term health of the drive. Being a mechanical device, a HDD's actuator requires something to 'push' against when moving the arm. If the entire HDD moves towards the same side the actuator moves to, then you can bet that the access and seek times will drop through the floor :)

Elledan said:
It might, but I'd worry more about the loss in performance (30% or more) and the long term health of the drive. Being a mechanical device, a HDD's actuator requires something to 'push' against when moving the arm. If the entire HDD moves towards the same side the actuator moves to, then you can bet that the access and seek times will drop through the floor :)

Only problem with that premise is that the drive is self contained. Similar to how you can't really make the sailboat you're sitting in move forward by blowing on it, the actuator can't move the drive by pushing on it.

hignaki said:
If you've ever taken apart a large disk device (Ex: CD-Rom) you see the rubber grommets that "float" the laser assembly. They kinda look like miniature car-tire rims w/o the wheels, but all soft rubber. I think a smaller diamater bolt, with that around it where it mounts to the fan/case (pick one) would help in dampening. I'm cheap, I use them between the fans and the case for my case fans :)

hmm i got some cd drives i gonna take one apart now.....

Fising string would be more L33T, if you have a case window and lights. Then it would just be floating there in the air.

uzor said:
Only problem with that premise is that the drive is self contained. Similar to how you can't really make the sailboat you're sitting in move forward by blowing on it, the actuator can't move the drive by pushing on it.
In order for the actuator to move the arm in one direction, it has to 'push' against the HDD casing. Without the HDD being mounted in a rigid fashion accuracy suffers.

Anyway, I won't get into the actual physics (because I'd have to do research for that :p ), but this loss in performance is real and measurable.

This would probably be a horrible idea for hdd's, but for a fan like the op's I used velcro over the weekend. Very similar effect (-suspension), but the silience is intact because of the 1/8" of dampening material that is velcro.

i ran my hdd for a long time on just rubber bands, about 2 years, drive health is better then my older hdd only thing it did was it increased the temp there both going to be properly mounted when dd comes out with the hdd cooler thats supposed to do dual hdds

update...

update.JPG

one gone, three more to go...

I would like to start a contest on which one goes next. The winners get a cookie, from me. k? start!

Here's a little update on the one I installed. I got bored the other day and made this bracket out of some scrap aluminum.

dsc002284qf.jpg

dsc002299kl.jpg

dsc002303yz.jpg

oooo i gotta take pics of what i did last night there. gonna have to really get up close so you guys can see. basically bio, i attached a grille to the fan (moved the yate loon inside) with zip ties and then used other zip ties thru the ones holding hte grille on to mount to the case. whee. and god it wass hard, had to use knife blades to route and "steer" the ties into place! :rolleyes:

Back