Wanna give DOOM3 another play-through; any good graphics mods?

spine

2[H]4U
Hey all, as the title says, I feel like giving Doom3 another play through. I don't expect there to be anything like the HL cinematic mods out there, but are there any quality graphics mods worth getting?

I seem to remember at the time there was a parallax bump mapping mod or something, but it ran too slowly on the hardware back then. So I'm interested in things like that. Searching Google just gives me endless "Duct Tape" mods which I'm not interested in (no gameplay mods); I just want one, maybe two, good graphics enhancements mods.

Anyone?
:cool:

No, you want the Duct Tape mod, because it allows you to have your gun and flashlight out at the same time. It doesn't change any other aspect of the game.

I mean, you could play through the game with a retarded gun without a light attached, but that's just silly.

It seems that pretty much all Doom 3 mods end up here.

"One, maybe two" mods is going to be tough, since most of them are fairly minor changes (specular highlights, self-shadows, relief maps, bloom...). Some mods combine several of these, but rarely do so without including a few gameplay tweaks as well. This looks like one of the better ones out there, though a few of the components are a little out of date. If you want to roll your own, there's a reasonably good list here, though once again you can find newer versions of some of them.

That's a game I think I'll try again with mods sometime soon, too. Thanks for the idea, spine.

I mean, you could play through the game with a retarded gun without a light attached, but that's just silly.
No, you're just silly :p

But seriously, dark as fuck is how it's meant to be. It fits. With everything fully lit all the time it's just not the same game. I never heard of anyone whining about all the shadows and building flashlight mods in Thief. Why is this so different?

I came across a little easter egg while working on the shotgun texture. Check this out

94145156.jpg

See that text along the side of the shotgun that looks like a model number? After a lot of scrutiny in Photoshop, I've determined that it says "IDKFA-666"

IDKFA was a cheat code for Doom 1 that gave you all guns, ammo, and keys :D

I was actually going to send you a PM about how far you've gotten with the texturing work. Nice stuff so far, and I can't wait for the finished pack.

IDKFA and IDDQD are the only codes I can remember to this day.

I remember playing doom ultimate and getting to the last level where it teleports you into a dark room filled with enemies and you died no matter what (game disabled cheats here), and a friend and I would play, one controlling the character and the other rapidly typing in the god code to see how long we could last lol.

I remember using idspispopd only to find out later that idclip did the same thing. :[

ilm held down is the cheat to wolf3d. I can still remember that :)

And having to swap between the gun and the flashlight is one of the best game play mechanics in the past decade. The whiners who bought doom3 thinking it was going to be a nutter fragfest like quake3 never let it go, even to this day

And having to swap between the gun and the flashlight is one of the best game play mechanics in the past decade. The whiners who bought doom3 thinking it was going to be a nutter fragfest like quake3 never let it go, even to this day
The silliest thing is that there were a fair few pitch black rooms and flickering lights in the originals (not to mention a boatload of monster closets...). You've got to wonder how many of these people actually played them.

IDCLIP didn't exist 'til Doom2. So no clip for Doom 1 was the former.

I thought it was IDNOCLIP for Doom 2.

Also when this little subject came up the very frist one that popped in my head was idspispopd. I also remember that there was a little brother of IDFKA, IDKA which I believe was the same as IDKFA minus the health boost.

Also there was idnoclev # which allowed you to skip levels.

Good times, good times.

Edit. Just did a google search and I was close on most of it. Been a while.

The only mod I'm looking for (but have never found) was a handgun model to replace the stock one. Doesn't seem right playing ANY Doom game without a Berreta M92fs.

I thought it was IDNOCLIP for Doom 2.

Also when this little subject came up the very frist one that popped in my head was idspispopd. I also remember that there was a little brother of IDFKA, IDKA which I believe was the same as IDKFA minus the health boost.

Also there was idnoclev # which allowed you to skip levels.

Good times, good times.

Edit. Just did a google search and I was close on most of it. Been a while.

it was idfa, all weapons and health but no keys

The silliest thing is that there were a fair few pitch black rooms and flickering lights in the originals (not to mention a boatload of monster closets...). You've got to wonder how many of these people actually played them.

yeah you get that lot with classic games, everyone assumes everyone has played it and noone is willing to admit they havent

IDCHOPPERS which IIRC gave you a chainsaw...

Man, I feel so old now. Can't believe I was like 17 when Doom came out...

Almost 35 now and to be honest if I fired up a game of Doom I'd STILL get 'DoomSick'. I couldn't play it for longer than about 20 minutes at a time because of the up and down walking motion.

Heh, thanks. I'm still working on that texture pack...slowly.

I'll see about tossing together a new release with everything I've done so far :D

That mirror offer (w/ direct linking) is still up btw! :)

Just got a new domain that is used for game server redirects and downloads! (sunu.us)

i remember getting to the first dark area, turning on the flashlight and the gun dropping. i was like, you SUNUVABITCH and loving it. anyway later on once you get the plasma rifle you can just fire off a shot or two intermittently to light the way

No, you want the Duct Tape mod, because it allows you to have your gun and flashlight out at the same time. It doesn't change any other aspect of the game.

Only 1 at a time was a huge aspect of the game...

kept me on my toes and honed my reflexes :p

ilm held down is the cheat to wolf3d. I can still remember that :)

lol like that is even close to what maries would do lol go into a dark room with no light .........:rolleyes:

lol like that is even close to what maries would do lol go into a dark room with no light .........:rolleyes:

as opposed to the hunting down zombies, ghouls, and other beasties in an off planet mining colony as they would normally be doing every day? ;)

Really? Did you REALLY just try to say that about this game? REALLY? Like this is supposed to mimic what people do in real life all day? Well shit, I didnt know there was a job like this, I wouldnt mind rampaging around on another planet stomping alien/monster/zombie things for a living.

As well, the originals had nice black rooms, and some with occasional flashes of light - and you didnt have a flashlight then! Oh no!

It's interesting, I bought th ID pack a long while ago, and I have yet to install and play Doom 3 again. I played through it when it first came out, and not since then. When I bought it on Steam as part of the pack, I expected to actually play it. Guess now is as good a time as any to get started, and some graphics mods sound like a great way to make it even better :)

Really? Did you REALLY just try to say that about this game? REALLY? Like this is supposed to mimic what people do in real life all day? Well shit, I didnt know there was a job like this, I wouldnt mind rampaging around on another planet stomping alien/monster/zombie things for a living.

As well, the originals had nice black rooms, and some with occasional flashes of light - and you didnt have a flashlight then! Oh no!

It's interesting, I bought th ID pack a long while ago, and I have yet to install and play Doom 3 again. I played through it when it first came out, and not since then. When I bought it on Steam as part of the pack, I expected to actually play it. Guess now is as good a time as any to get started, and some graphics mods sound like a great way to make it even better :)

lol having doom 3 myself I find it stupid that one would not have a flashlight on their gun when going into a dark room...lol like the tiny circle of light is going to make the game any less scary........

I was glad when this game came out that there were actually pitch black moments in the game. I hate when people cheat on other games by raising the gamma up so that they don't use flash lights or NV.

Hearing people whine about it and using the ducttape mod makes me think they're all wimps.

Doom 3 is obviously a Mars colonial base demonic outbreak scenario simulator, guys. An MCBDOSS, for short.

lol having doom 3 myself I find it stupid that one would not have a flashlight on their gun when going into a dark room...
They calls these things "gameplay mechanics". Granted, unrealistic gameplay mechanics have no real place is a strict MCBDOSS like Doom 3...

Doom 3 is obviously a Mars colonial base demonic outbreak scenario simulator, guys. An MCBDOSS, for short.

They calls these things "gameplay mechanics". Granted, unrealistic gameplay mechanics have no real place is a strict MCBDOSS like Doom 3...

well of course doom 3 isn't real but marines (fictional or otherwise) are not going to to combat blind ya see?

Scariest flashlight simulator game I ever played. Also I enjoyed ducking before you opened every door in case there was an imp on the other side ready to throw a fireball.

Give this a shot:
HDR Interaction Redux
Don't let the "HDR" in the name fool you; it's not another bloom mod. It's more like a vastly improved Brilliant Highlights. Doesn't get along with the parallax mods, but well worth it. Looks even better with r_lightscale 2 set in your config.

Last edited:
I have a 850MB Ultra High Resolution package I downloaded while ago, and you need a 512MB + graphics card to run it smoothly due to the 60FPS cap in Doom 3, or you can head over to tweakguides for Doom 3 or google how to remove fps cap for Doom 3, although it may make things unsync if you don't have a mid-high range card. Enjoy.

Heck while your at it, download Doom 1 remake mod for Doom 3, allows you to play all the original Doom 1 levels/maps using Doom 3's ID engine.

I have a 850MB Ultra High Resolution package I downloaded while ago, and you need a 512MB + graphics card to run it smoothly due to the 60FPS cap in Doom 3, or you can head over to tweakguides for Doom 3 or google how to remove fps cap for Doom 3, although it may make things unsync if you don't have a mid-high range card. Enjoy.

Heck while your at it, download Doom 1 remake mod for Doom 3, allows you to play all the original Doom 1 levels/maps using Doom 3's ID engine.

Can we have the link?

ditto ^

uhi-res pack and doom 1 remake links plz =D

dammit cant download it now at work to install once i get home. poo.

but thanks for the links!

Back