Walmart Working With Google For Voice-Activated Shopping

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Walmart has announced today that it is working with Google to offer hundreds of thousands of items for voice shopping through Google assistant. Walmart has also stated that it will be expanding it's grocery delivery service with Uber. To be more competitive with Amazon, Google Express is scrapping the $95-a-year membership starting Wednesday, allowing shoppers to get free delivery within one to three days on orders as long as the purchase is above each store's minimum.

Sounds like competition for Prime is heating up, especially with Google dropping the membership fee. Will be interesting to see how, or if Amazon will respond to the deal.

Walmart says it will be tapping its 4,700 U.S. stores and its fulfillment network next year to offer more kinds of customer experiences using voice shopping. For example, shoppers can tell Google Assistant they want to pick up an order in a store. Lore said the company wants to make voice shopping as easy as possible.

Since I associate Walmart with crap and Google with evil, I would have to call them combining on something a bunch of evil crap.

At any rate, Amazon already has a working infrastructure and methodology that is getting things done *right now*. Google-mart doesn't have that, so I don't see them matching Amazon in the shipping department.

Back