So if you've never been to Walmart, and they destroyed all your local businesses, where do you go?

I live in the country. The nearest larger town got one some years ago and the only direct impact, is some of the things I get from there. It roasted a bunch of smaller operations when it moved in, and after some thought about the entire phenomenon, I decided they were evil. ;)

I think it is double-speak to detect those with elevated heart rates and nervous inclinations who are contemplating shoplifting.

Wow, a serious invasion of privacy to read biometrics from a shopping cart.

1. The Walmart bashing is old. NO ONE thinks you are hipper or cooler because you claim to never go to Walmart. No one.
2. I don't get the shopping cart thing at all. I DO have to go to Walmart fairly frequently because of the hours I work, and I'd simply be real fucking happy if I didn't have to test drive 4 or 5 carts in order to simply find one that doesn't have a flat wheel, or one stuck at 3 O'clock forcing the thing to attempt a constant right turn. Fix the motherfucking wheels on the carts before you decide to turn them into Tron lazer-cycles.

Where they need to deploy this is on the electric scooters. If anyone is going to die inside the store, it will be one of them as they struggle to reach the nuclear apocalypse sized cheese puffs on the top shelf.
Came in here to say something similar. OT: I had to use one of those scooters when I had a broken leg. I was so embarrased that I parked it back at the entrance and used crutches.

As the great flava flav says, don't believe the hype.

This is to measure biological response to things in the store.

When someone is holding the sensor and they see something that raises their heart rate, then that's going to be flagged as successful marketing. With the advent of how many cameras are in Walmart, they'll be able to conclusively identify where you were and what you were looking at.

Walmart doesn't give a fuck about your health. That doesn't make them more money. Validation that their promotions work is far more valuable.

they see something that raises their heart rate, then that's going to be flagged as successful marketing.
Trick's on them.. *wheeze* due to the cheap, roll-back, over processed, high sodium, high fructose, *wheeze* and high sugar foods I eat from there my heart rate is ALWAYS up! *wheeze* *cough*

img_2502.jpg

But the phone tracking data while shopping in Walmart goes to Amazon and other competitors. Cart datawill be all Walmart's except for selling parts of it to Pepsi or other companies.

I was more talking about the biometrics aspects. Tracking with a cart would only be the store and parking lot and Walmart I'm sure already tracks everyone via the security cameras so tracking with carts is not needed

Tldr
"Wal-Mart develops new way to quantify/extract customer responses (data) to in house marketing, products and services to create a better business model, without remuneration."

2. I don't get the shopping cart thing at all. I DO have to go to Walmart fairly frequently because of the hours I work, and I'd simply be real fucking happy if I didn't have to test drive 4 or 5 carts in order to simply find one that doesn't have a flat wheel, or one stuck at 3 O'clock forcing the thing to attempt a constant right turn. Fix the motherfucking wheels on the carts before you decide to turn them into Tron lazer-cycles.

This was my thought as soon as I read the headline. There's simply no way this can turn out to be cost effective considering they can't even take care of the basic necessities of what a cart needs to be functional for its intended use. Carts are beat to hell to begin with and anytime there's something "special" or added to a cart you're going to have a bunch of people fucking with it or trying to break it just because they can.

That's not even counting the fact that these carts are going to be sitting outside in the sun, rain and snow and that will kill the electronics simply because no matter how well you try to waterproof it it's going to fail. Then there's the need to to recharge the crap added to the carts. That's a hell of a lot of carts to charge or replace batteries on all the time.

This just sounds like a really fucking stupid idea no matter how you look at it.

Back