[Walmart] Nokia Lumia 920 $49.99 with upgrade or new 2 year contract

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie

Derangel

Fully [H]
sprint might've known something sitting this one out.

I highly doubt it. WinPho 7/7.5 was pretty good. WinPho 8 looks like it is going to be really good as well. The interface is pretty much the same as WinPho 7 and that was a great interface and they made some good other improvements.

Ali Man

[H]ard|Gawd
This really sucks man, I just got the Lumina 820 from AT&T today for $53 with tax. Wish I had known this earlier.

ValeTudo

Limp Gawd
This really sucks man, I just got the Lumina 820 from AT&T today for $53 with tax. Wish I had known this earlier.

You can return within 14 days.

Checked out the 920 today in store (I've had a samsung focus for two years now, prefer it over the iphones I've had and currently have for work). The 920 looks pretty good, not as large as the S3.

They don't have the HTC in stores yet so I'm going to wait until I can compare the two.

Costco is also a good source of cell phone upgrades as long as they have the model you like.

Ali Man

[H]ard|Gawd
You can return within 14 days.

Checked out the 920 today in store (I've had a samsung focus for two years now, prefer it over the iphones I've had and currently have for work). The 920 looks pretty good, not as large as the S3.

They don't have the HTC in stores yet so I'm going to wait until I can compare the two.

Costco is also a good source of cell phone upgrades as long as they have the model you like.

Really, can you emphasize a bit more on that?
Would they return me my the desired amount that I paid them or do they have some restocking fee or something like that?

Ali Man

[H]ard|Gawd
Just read that there's a $35 restocking fee lol, not really worth it afterall.

rudy

[H]F Junkie
sprint might've known something sitting this one out.

Sprint does not know anything other than they are stupid. Maybe they knew something about the galaxy note too, or the tons of other phones. Simply put sprint sits any new phone out or half asses it because they are affraid to commit. then the end up paying way more when the product is a hit. Meanwhile their selection is pathetic.

Ocellaris

Fully [H]
Sprint does not know anything other than they are stupid. Maybe they knew something about the galaxy note too, or the tons of other phones. Simply put sprint sits any new phone out or half asses it because they are affraid to commit. then the end up paying way more when the product is a hit. Meanwhile their selection is pathetic.

Actually a CDMA 920 simply doesn't exist.

rudy

[H]F Junkie
Of course it does not exist because they did not ask for it.

Power5

Limp Gawd
Seriously. The 920 is $100 on ATT.com so you would still be getting the 920 at a slight discount.

XeroHouR

[H]ard|Gawd
Better deal, $450 off contract, take to wal-mart for straight talk, no contract $45/month unlimited everything. Save massive amounts of money and get out whenever you want. Save $50/month, takes 9 months to cover the difference between $50.00 on contract at $100/month plan.

burningrave101

[H]F Junkie
Better deal, $450 off contract, take to wal-mart for straight talk, no contract $45/month unlimited everything. Save massive amounts of money and get out whenever you want. Save $50/month, takes 9 months to cover the difference between $50.00 on contract at $100/month plan.

Wouldn't it be $75 cheaper to sign up for a 2 year agreement to get the Lumia 920 for $49.99 and then just pay the $325 early termination fee if you want to switch to Straight Talk? Or do you have to have the off contract unlocked Lumia 920 to work on Straight talk?

XeroHouR

[H]ard|Gawd
Wouldn't it be $75 cheaper to sign up for a 2 year agreement to get the Lumia 920 for $49.99 and then just pay the $325 early termination fee if you want to switch to Straight Talk? Or do you have to have the off contract unlocked Lumia 920 to work on Straight talk?

Is it only $325 for the ETF? Do they not add the value to the ETF until it meets the ETF?

Derangel

Fully [H]
Early termination fees now include a fee per month remaining in addition to the fat penalty amount.

ETF is a flat amount at the start and goes down by $10 every month. At least that is how ATT does it.

Ali Man

[H]ard|Gawd
$35 to have a much better phone imo. Worth it in the long run.

You won't pay $35 to have a much better phone for the next two years? :eek:

I used both at the AT&T store before deciding, 820 was the straight winner. Why? I don't need a screen a little smaller than a Nexus 7, that is harder to use with one hand, basically hard in all ways. I also compared the IP5 to the 820, they both are exactly the same size in length, but just that the 820 quite much more wider and of course, personally it's a better choice in my regard. The IP5 only has the advantage of being much more lighter than the 820.

entropism

2[H]4U
The ETF kicks in after the first 14 days, so if you cancel before then, you get hit with the prorated portion of your bill, plus the $450 retail price. After the first 14 days, you get the ETF + subsidized price + prorated bill. Basically? It's better to buy it for $450, or find someone selling one on ebay/craigslist for $300 a few weeks after launch.

kingk

Gawd
I was very seriously considering trying this phone, but it seems there's virtually no dev or apps available for it.... It looks like an innovative piece of hardware, that lacks the software of the android and apple mobile communities. If you're in for a good stock experience, this looks like a good choice.

I think it's an S3 on black friday for me...

Derangel

Fully [H]
I was very seriously considering trying this phone, but it seems there's virtually no dev or apps available for it.... It looks like an innovative piece of hardware, that lacks the software of the android and apple mobile communities. If you're in for a good stock experience, this looks like a good choice.

Of course there aren't many apps, it just came out. How many apps are really needed anyway? I've always wondered about the complaint of not enough apps. Do we really need a few million apps where 90% of them are crap? I don't even brother browsing the Play Store anymore. If I need something specific I'll search for it, but it feels like a waste of time to dig through all the crap on there. Same with the App Store.

buttons

2[H]4U
I had a windows phone 7.5 and hated it, still the nokia 920 looks great on paper. I think sprint is playing it safe until they see if windows 8 is successful or not. I dont think its free for sprint to just market / sell the nokia 920. For all we know, maybe AT&T paid a bunch of money to nokia to keep them off CDMA ?

buttons

2[H]4U

this is why i went back to android. I really liked the windows 7 interface, but the lack of apps drove me nuts. I just picked up a galaxy nexus for $29 with new contract and love this thing!

Disposed

Supreme [H]ardness
Of course there aren't many apps, it just came out. How many apps are really needed anyway? I've always wondered about the complaint of not enough apps. Do we really need a few million apps where 90% of them are crap? I don't even brother browsing the Play Store anymore. If I need something specific I'll search for it, but it feels like a waste of time to dig through all the crap on there. Same with the App Store.

These are the types of responses I got when I had a problem with the severe lack of apps. It's bullshit people tell themselves to feel better about shit they like.

A bigger app selection is never a bad thing and before you go to the old wp7 fan standby "who needs a million fat apps" just don't, that's bullshit too.

The wp7 app store was missing basic shit we take for granted on other platforms.

And it didn't "just come out" it's an update to an os that's been around for years now, years... that statement simply makes no sense.

mtbush

2[H]4U
I've loving my 920, and this is coming from iOS with a plethora of app offerings.
I think Microsoft is doing a great job of building the dev community, you have to keep in mind the Windows Phone is still in it's infancy when compared to Android & iOS.

BTW $49 is great deal for the 920, I paid $99 @ launch from AT&T and got a free wireless charger. Either way you look it, it's a very solid deal.

JPF_

Limp Gawd
So if I read the plans right....for 70 bucks its unlimited text/talk and 4gb of data?

arg....this plan is confusing.....

AT&T Mobile Share with Unlimited Talk & Text 4GB

Plan Details
Unlimited
$0.00
Unlimited
4GB
$15/GB
$70.00
per month

BoxDude

Limp Gawd
So if I read the plans right....for 70 bucks its unlimited text/talk and 4gb of data?

arg....this plan is confusing.....

AT&T Mobile Share with Unlimited Talk & Text 4GB

Plan Details
Unlimited
$0.00
Unlimited
4GB
$15/GB
$70.00
per month

That's for the share plan alone. You have to add $40 or $45 (I forgot which) per device attached to the plan.

Derangel

Fully [H]
These are the types of responses I got when I had a problem with the severe lack of apps. It's bullshit people tell themselves to feel better about shit they like.

A bigger app selection is never a bad thing and before you go to the old wp7 fan standby "who needs a million fat apps" just don't, that's bullshit too.

The wp7 app store was missing basic shit we take for granted on other platforms.

And it didn't "just come out" it's an update to an os that's been around for years now, years... that statement simply makes no sense.

I didn't have a Win7 phone for long (literally a day) but beyond basic phone features and Skype I don't need anything amazing or special as far as apps go. Outside of what comes default on my Epic the only things I've installed for use beyond a single time are Skype and a few games. All the one-time use apps I put on if they weren't there I could have just gone online on the phone to do what I wanted, so no I really don't have a need for millions of apps for my phone. So what "basic shit" would I be missing?

And yeah, I forgot that the WinPho7 apps will work with it, my fault.

rudy

[H]F Junkie
A bigger app selection is not a bad thing no, but the usefulness of an OS really comes down to if you need the apps or not. When it comes down to it its kinda funny but the vast majority of people I see running around with smart phones really are not doing anything with apps. Simple things like taking notes, calendar, etc, litterally half these people are not even using basic stuff like that, so what are all these apps they are using? All of the common things they interface with like email and facebook come on every phone, clock, alarms, the phone calls and texting and of course a web browser.

MS has office and thats a pretty important application. Having an app that is nothing more than an interface to a website you can visit adds nothing and IMO detracts from the entire computing platform. Smart phones remind me of the early days of the internet when ISPs would try to give you their own branded browser and catch you up in a world of AOL, Yahoo DSL etc... All it did was give us all half assed browsers, and apps that interface with websites are the same, half assed versions of the website where they pay 5x the programmers to make an app for various platforms none of them doing what those programmers could have achieved working on a single web based interface.

At the end of the day its not the total apps, its the useful apps, thats why I was able to go android when apple had a head start, because there was not a single useful app that apple had that I could see I needed and anything even close google had in the play store and so far as I have seen of WP8 its pretty much the same, granted I am not ready to try WP8 because the killer phones are still all android, but if MS leverages office they have the main ace that no one can out do.

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie

With Windows 8, Windows RT, and Windows Phone 8 all sharing the same market and apps, we'll probably see a more significant expansion of apps than what we saw with Windows Phone 7.

entropism

2[H]4U
Give me access to Gmail, Google calendar, Google Reader, Twitter, Facebook, Yelp, FourSquare and a forum software like Tapatalk and I'm a happy camper. Untappd would be nice as well... got to track my beer consumption.