Walmart is selling Gateway PCs and no the year is not 1999

My first decent spec'd machine was a gateway. It came with a 24" trinitron monitor that I kept for what seems like forever. It also came with the shittiest financing deal that I ever signed which coincidentally I also seemed to keep forever. That machine taught me a ton about both hardware and stupid financial decisions.

I still have my Gateway (Acer) NV5807U I got it back in 2009 for a whopping $599 on Amazon. It has 4GB DDR2 T6500 a 320GB 5400RPM disk and a Blu-ray drive (I added that myself) The keyboard is shot but it still works fine. I actually waited for my free Windows 7 upgrade kit to arive before I actually used it (I hated Vista even then) I don't like how difficult it is to find a new PC (desktop or laptop) with an optical drive included or even a place for one.

Well, I can't possibly turn down the possibility of getting a 4th_Gen Core series processor or even an AMD A6!!!

1599963046719.png

I am still using a Gateway laptop manufactured in 2008. I've swapped out the heatsink and fan once. It's also on its second SSD. It came with a standard hard drive of course. It's limited to 4 GB RAM in BIOS. Works fine for surfing the Internet with Linux Mint.

Last edited:
I haven't owned a pre-build PC since the first one my brother brought. It was a 486sx and can't remember what brand it was. Since then my brother built them himself and so did I when I finally made my own money. Other then laptops I have never personally owned a pre-build.

Did someone say Gateway?
IMG_20200912_235105316~2.jpg

NV55S09u:
Win7 on an A6-3400M, quad-core, with a massive 4GB DDR3 and a 500GB HDD. I upgraded the RAM to 16GB and put a SSD in shortly after getting it, as it was horribly slow in it's default config. Not a bad deal for (iirc) $250, $350?

So whatis what placed do with old inventory they never sold off... sell it to Gateway to sell them in computers.

My parent's daily driver is a hand-me-down p7811u FX with a Core 2 Duo p8500 and a 9800 GT. It was the best gaming laptop at the time for the money, beating Alienware and HP by miles on price for the same specs. I upgraded it a few years back with 8GB RAM, an SSD and Win 10. They've used it every day for the past 9 years and it's still chugging.

http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/gateway-p-7811-fx-review/

$1400 for a top-spec, well-built gaming laptop -- can you imagine?

I think I still have an old Athlon desktop and their 30" 1600p beast monitor somewhere in a basement.

Acer bought Gateway 7-8 years back and basically scuttled the brand.

Last edited:
Yeah a Gateway was my first PC. It's been an enthusiast PC building hobby since then for me. I also turned those first experiences into 15 years of working in tech. Thanks Gateway!

I got one of Gateways gaming laptops back in 2009. The hard drive died after three years but it was pretty powerful for it being a laptop and for what I paid for it at the time. It's still sitting in my closet.

EDIT:

My parent's daily driver is a hand-me-down p7811u FX with a Core 2 Duo p8500 and a 9800 GT.

That's the one!

Gateway also made some pretty decent 24 inch 1920 x1200 16:10 monitors back in 07/08 with a nice stand that went portrait and was height adjustable. I still use the stand on other monitors til this day because it was standard VESA.

I’m holding out for an E-Machine. Those were the alienware of the times. lol

This brings back memories. Excitement of opening the box with the cow theme my first computer still qqgives me chills lol. Good old days.

Our first PC was a PB:

8088 XT 4.77MHz w/ 8MHz "Turbo"
1024K RAM
360kb 5.25" FDD
720kb 3.5" FDD
Paradise EGA card
14" EGA monitor
DOS 3.31 booted from FDD

That thing was a tank and still ran fine up until we decided it was time to step it up, then I built a "budget" Am386SX40 system during the early 80486 days.

Seeing Gateway computers again is bittersweet...great bit of nostalgia, but likely just as cheap and junky within a smooth wrapper (aesthetic cases) as they were back in their heyday (like almost all OEMs of that era).

I have a full time job and a child. You can find time to play. It's called not sleeping.
I work full time, am in the Reserves, and own my own business on nights and weekends. If I get an hour to try to work towards finishing the Witcher3 then its a miracle.

I remember owning a Celeron powered Gateway and that thing got 50x more gaming time then my current PC lol.

I honestly dont know how adults have time to even enjoy a powerful computer. I barely have time to wipe properly let alone play enough video games to justify a 1k graphics card.

Not everyone spends every waking moment working. I work 58 hours a week. I find ways to enjoy my time away from work by...Not working.

I work full time, am in the Reserves, and own my own business on nights and weekends. If I get an hour to try to work towards finishing the Witcher3 then its a miracle.

I remember owning a Celeron powered Gateway and that thing got 50x more gaming time then my current PC lol.

Oh, I'm sure my older PC's got more true gaming use. I miss my Quantum3D Raven and 300A Celery.

This 2080Ti gets more use on youtube then games lately.

Man, my first PC was a gateway, ironically it was my gateway into PC gaming. Was strong enough at the time to play diablo 2 and Tribes 2 which had just come out, played those 2 games for hours each day and loved it lol. Didn't upgrade that PC until WoW came out.

First family PC was a Gateway2000 bought through a Computer Shopper "magazine."
It was a 286 or 386 in the mid to late 80s. BBSing. Trade wars and a couple others that I can't remember anymore.

Back