Walmart Is Reportedly Developing a Store of the Future with No Cashiers

Fucking Amen to that, tired of the machine telling me something is on the checkout spot and needs to be removed before proceeding, tired of buying something that needs an attendant to come over with their code to approve the sale, tired of fucking security always wanting to check your receipt because THEY DON'T HAVE A FUCKING CASHIER DOING THE JOB!

Last time I went there, the door security was right in front of my machine watching me do the fucking work (that's right, doing the work and where does it show me saving the money doing that) and she still wanted to check my receipt. I said "all good" she said yes, then I turned around to the service desk and returned everything for a refund and said "I won't be back". Fuck that shit!

Obviously the self checkouts need to work better and they probably will in the not so distant future.

I have no problem with the age thing. Mainly because a cashier is going to have to go through it. Does the customer look over 40? For a six pack of beer. Is the customer over 18? For white out. These are societal issues and not really store issues. Thank your fellow members of society for it.

There are places like Costco that have cashiers and still check your receipt. Some people do have a problem with it. In the end it’s a win for me if they decide not to shop there. One less person taking up good space in the store. Secondly it’s not that intrusive and doesn’t take up to much time. Probably less than 30 seconds. So if that time is so valuable to you there’s bigger issues. Can’t speak to many Costco stores but in our local town when things get busy they add more people at the door to help. The ones who complain are usually the slower ones to begin with.

The real problem I have with self checkout is produce and if you’re at the store early 5AM (before work) they have them blocked off. Have to look for the checkout line that is open not close to the door and the cashier is pulling double duty and usually have to wait while they take their time figuring out they have customers that want to give the store money.

First world problems.....

I use the self check because I am faster than the cashier and generally nobody is using one so it's quick.

Reactions: Gavv
like this
Obviously the self checkouts need to work better and they probably will in the not so distant future.

I have no problem with the age thing. Mainly because a cashier is going to have to go through it. Does the customer look over 40? For a six pack of beer. Is the customer over 18? For white out. These are societal issues and not really store issues. Thank your fellow members of society for it.

There are places like Costco that have cashiers and still check your receipt. Some people do have a problem with it. In the end it’s a win for me if they decide not to shop there. One less person taking up good space in the store. Secondly it’s not that intrusive and doesn’t take up to much time. Probably less than 30 seconds. So if that time is so valuable to you there’s bigger issues. Can’t speak to many Costco stores but in our local town when things get busy they add more people at the door to help. The ones who complain are usually the slower ones to begin with.

The real problem I have with self checkout is produce and if you’re at the store early 5AM (before work) they have them blocked off. Have to look for the checkout line that is open not close to the door and the cashier is pulling double duty and usually have to wait while they take their time figuring out they have customers that want to give the store money.

First world problems.....

Checkouts are finicky and getting worse, you have more hope than I in this regard. It tells me to just start scanning my item, so I did and put it on the checkout pad, then it tells me that the machine does not give back change and can only be used with a CC (already noted by a hand written sign on the machine) and asks me to OK it, so I do. Then it tells me something is on the checkout pad and needs to be cleared before proceeding, do you see how the steps accumulated to annoyance...

My case was buying paints and household cleaners, but thanks for thinking I might be a drunk and deflecting cashier less checkout problems on society as if it's their unreasonable fault ID should be checked for alcohol or kids huffing white out. There are a series of typical items that this happens with and now I'm waiting on one person servicing issues at multiple checkouts, who may or may not be around to find and there have been some long delays. When I buy known items that will create this issue, I'd be happy to wait in line at a cashier checkout to avoid any item related delay, but there aren't any manned checkouts, it's all self.

Pace (gone the dodo), Sam's Club and Costco have always been a receipt checkout at the door, from day one, not a department store and nothing you said even comes remotely close to the inconvenience of my stated example at such a store with noted security guard. Department stores do not check receipts when a cashier checks you out, they do it much of the time when you self checkout, because they don't trust you, and even that is laughable because they don't check the items per receipt that well, just enough of a pita to ask you to pull back out your receipt and waste your time. Yes, my time (3 seconds, 30 seconds or whatever), if you don't consider unnecessary waste of your time an issue, that is your preference, not mine. I am not one of your "slower ones" I am highly efficient and courteous to others how I use my time and prepare for expediency, it's why I get so annoyed when others waste mine. It's bad enough other people waste my time, I don't need money grubbing store policies doing it to.

They try to pass this off as convenience and saving you money, but it is only convenient for certain items, and if just one of the inconvenient items is in your cart, the positive experience is ruined and the savings typically only wind up in shareholder hands.

I use the self check because I am faster than the cashier and generally nobody is using one so it's quick.

All depends on what you're buying and what time of day you're buying it. They can be very convenient.

Checkouts are finicky and getting worse, you have more hope than I in this regard. It tells me to just start scanning my item, so I did and put it on the checkout pad, then it tells me that the machine does not give back change and can only be used with a CC (already noted by a hand written sign on the machine) and asks me to OK it, so I do. Then it tells me something is on the checkout pad and needs to be cleared before proceeding, do you see how the steps accumulated to annoyance...

I have more issues with people standing in the center of the aisle so you can't get past than the self check outs. Everyone is different. Machines are what they are. I had gas pumps that only seem like they are going half speed at pumping gas. It really boils down to machinery is going to have flaws in it and nothing will work perfect 100% of the time. If that is all it takes to annoy person.. then again there are bigger issues.

My case was buying paints and household cleaners, but thanks for thinking I might be a drunk and deflecting cashier less checkout problems on society as if it's their unreasonable fault ID should be checked for alcohol or kids huffing white out. There are a series of typical items that this happens with and now I'm waiting on one person servicing issues at multiple checkouts, who may or may not be around to find and there have been some long delays. When I buy known items that will create this issue, I'd be happy to wait in line at a cashier checkout to avoid any item related delay, but there aren't any manned checkouts, it's all self.

No I am not thinking you are a drunk. Maybe you are.. who cares. What was meant is that society has created the problem. If underage people didn't try to buy tobacco and alcohol we wouldn't have to ID people. Likewise if people weren't huffing butane... Yes I know the frustration, as one local mom and pop shot asked to see my arms as I bought 2 bottles... I didn't think I looked like a meth addict... but I guess you never know. So why your looking to be offended you might consider that people have had similar instances and it is annoying... But if there is liability or a chance of being sued/losing a license... I can't blame the store either.

Pace (gone the dodo), Sam's Club and Costco have always been a receipt checkout at the door, from day one, not a department store and nothing you said even comes remotely close to the inconvenience of my stated example at such a store with noted security guard. Department stores do not check receipts when a cashier checks you out, they do it much of the time when you self checkout, because they don't trust you, and even that is laughable because they don't check the items per receipt that well, just enough of a pita to ask you to pull back out your receipt and waste your time. Yes, my time (3 seconds, 30 seconds or whatever), if you don't consider unnecessary waste of your time an issue, that is your preference, not mine. I am not one of your "slower ones" I am highly efficient and courteous to others how I use my time and prepare for expediency, it's why I get so annoyed when others waste mine. It's bad enough other people waste my time, I don't need money grubbing store policies doing it to.

Then you should buy and run your own store.

No Gavv, I just found a different store, as I said to them "I won't be back".

Reading a clearly written sign telling you the machine is CC only and then having to do a package placement dance when you try to check out IS a store issue, not a society, not a machine, and not my issue, it is a programming issue and should be addressed by the store and is not. Maybe you should be treating your distaste of people in your way in an isle as a "bigger issue" of your own personality instead of telling me my distaste of poor machine programming is one of mine.

If you find me "offended" by your replies, it is because I see you as a corporate apologist putting your arguments on everything else but the store policies while not addressing the specific incidents I mention, but generalizations of the self checkout experience. I can blame the store for the inconvenience of purchasing these items with self checkout (not society), because as I've said to you, they only have self checkout available with a single attendant that may or may not be around when I arrive at the checkout, but corporate apologists don't read what they don't want to about the scenario, they just give you the standard "go buy and run your own store" crap.

I have more issues with people standing in the center of the aisle so you can't get past than the self check outs. Everyone is different. Machines are what they are. I had gas pumps that only seem like they are going half speed at pumping gas. It really boils down to machinery is going to have flaws in it and nothing will work perfect 100% of the time. If that is all it takes to annoy person.. then again there are bigger issues.

No I am not thinking you are a drunk. Maybe you are.. who cares. What was meant is that society has created the problem. If underage people didn't try to buy tobacco and alcohol we wouldn't have to ID people. Likewise if people weren't huffing butane... Yes I know the frustration, as one local mom and pop shot asked to see my arms as I bought 2 bottles... I didn't think I looked like a meth addict... but I guess you never know. So why your looking to be offended you might consider that people have had similar instances and it is annoying... But if there is liability or a chance of being sued/losing a license... I can't blame the store either.

Then you should buy and run your own store.

No Gavv, I just found a different store, as I said to them "I won't be back".

Reading a clearly written sign telling you the machine is CC only and then having to do a package placement dance when you try to check out IS a store issue, not a society, not a machine, and not my issue, it is a programming issue and should be addressed by the store and is not. Maybe you should be treating your distaste of people in your way in an isle as a "bigger issue" of your own personality instead of telling me my distaste of poor machine programming is one of mine.

If you find me "offended" by your replies, it is because I see you as a corporate apologist putting your arguments on everything else but the store policies while not addressing the specific incidents I mention, but generalizations of the self checkout experience. I can blame the store for the inconvenience of purchasing these items with self checkout (not society), because as I've said to you, they only have self checkout available with a single attendant that may or may not be around when I arrive at the checkout, but corporate apologists don't read what they don't want to about the scenario, they just give you the standard "go buy and run your own store" crap.

Obviously reading and comprehension aren’t something you’re even average at, below average may even be to high a mark.. I’ll just disagree with you and go about my business as this issue isn’t worth the trouble.

Apparently a regional thing. Where I'm at no one uses the 3-4 cashiers as the self are just faster. The only ones I see in cahier lines are buying alcohol or cigarettes. As for me I'll avoid any cashier I can if given the chance. I don't bag shit that doesn't belong together and frankly I'm faster most of the time.

Well. That sucks.

I love Walmart. Dead serious. I make a point to shop there when I can.

And I worked there.

Was it awesome? Well, no. But it was nowhere near the worst place I have worked. And, as an immigrant with an university diploma, it was still the only place that had the nerve to offer me a damn job when I first started.

Honestly, the quality of everything there was on par or better than most other places around. And've seen worse - way worse - on car dealerships than on the TLE there.

And when everything went so God damn awry and I had to drive 5k+ km with my POS car and a trailer to the middle of effin nowhere to try and make this immigration thing work, without a dime to my name other than gas money, who would let me sleep in their parking lots without treating me as a thief? You bet.

Walmart bashing is one of the things that amuse me the most since I moved to Canada. Some people here are really, really out of touch with reality.

"First World Problems" is not a joke.

Back