Walmart Associate Delivery Pays Employees to Deliver Packages After Shift Work Ends

This.
If you are a Walmart employee, and they are paying you to make a delivery, then Walmart is liable.
If you get in an accident, Walmart would likely be held responsible,

I don't thing classifying a employee as a contractor while they are delivering Walmart product would fly in most states.

How does domino's do it? Are you a business lawyer? I hear lots of people saying they would be liable, but i'm not certain that is legally correct(i am definitely not a laywer)

The walmarts within a 100 mile radius of me are all extremely clean and well stocked, workers nice, normal people shopping. Never had a single problem ever with any of them. I love walmart, I can get a tire, an Xbox, prescription filled, subway, a shotgun, groceries, a case of beer, and lawnmower all at the same time :)

Does this make my e-cred go down since im not parroting the walmart hate? :(

What no drone delivery service?

10 miles, to cover 90% of customers an industrial Drone should be able to provide delivery within several blocks from each store.

Drone to the next level, print out a QR code landing pad for delivery at your residence or leave a tablet out on the porch. (leave packages in a more secure area, such as upper floor deck, inside a fenced and locked backyard, or automated delivery robot (powered trashcan)

This is potentially RIFE with abuse. They are not professional delivery drivers. And what happens when they get in an accident? What happens when the insurance company discovers they are using the service to deliver work packages for money? What happens if the employee is injured lifting a package. What happens if the package is damaged in transit? If they work 10 extra hours delivering packages and go overtime or meet over 35 hours a week, do they get overtime or fulltime benefits?

Shame on walmart!

How does domino's do it? Are you a business lawyer? I hear lots of people saying they would be liable, but i'm not certain that is legally correct(i am definitely not a laywer)

It depends on what goes wrong. If they steal the package only Walmart would be liable because walmart still had custody of the package but that doesn't mean the employee isn't criminally liable to Walmart though most employers rarely press criminal charges for petty theft or vandalism. They employee is usually just fired.

If the employee were to inject your delivery orange juice with listeria, the employee would be criminally liable to you personally and Walmart would be civilly liable.

What no drone delivery service?

10 miles, to cover 90% of customers an industrial Drone should be able to provide delivery within several blocks from each store.

Drone to the next level, print out a QR code landing pad for delivery at your residence or leave a tablet out on the porch. (leave packages in a more secure area, such as upper floor deck, inside a fenced and locked backyard, or automated delivery robot (powered trashcan)

You can't do drone delivery, it requires pilots for commercial applications.

Around here Walmart is the best place to buy ammo and Clay pigeons (based on price). That is all I buy there,

On one hand, I can see the benefits. This is a lot more realistic than Amazon's drone delivery, in terms of months before it's ready for nationwide deployment rather than years. This could be a $ bonus for the employees, who may already be driving for Uber or some other side hustle, and a simple solution to a complex problem.
On the other hand, oversight on Walmart's end seems prohibitively expensive and complex. I hope someone smarter than I is working out the kinks.
I think I see an impending class action suit that this officially "voluntary" service actually becomes mandatory in practice.

I think I see an impending class action suit that this officially "voluntary" service actually becomes mandatory in practice.
I dont see how you can sue over a job requirement. Someone could get transferred from the stock room to a cahsier, your job is whatever your boss says it is, there's nothing written in stone.

This wont wont for in CA trust me to many labor laws. if a Associate works 8 hr shift then goes home to deliver a package, lets say 8 to 10 packages at least that will be overtime. If an Assiciate never done deliverers thats going to take 2 hours to complete. We all know Walmart doesnt like paying OT. Amazon Flex pays 18.00 an Hour i don't see Walmart matching. also does Walmart provide Insurance for the vehicle? to many liability

If Walmart actually implements this, it'll last until:
1) the 1st lawsuit
2) Driver-less technology is rolled out and someone in the company discovers that they can save more money by delivering by a combination driver-less truck and drone system.

If Walmart actually implements this, it'll last until:
1) the 1st lawsuit
2) Driver-less technology is rolled out and someone in the company discovers that they can save more money by delivering by a combination driver-less truck and drone system.
Well this is a move many big box retailers who are trying to take revenue from places like amazon. It's a massive reduction to cost of shipping decentralising your shipping as much as possible making it possible to offer cheap to free 2/same day shipping. With the stores already in the area shipping from the store to local area is a good way to save money. Just seems like they want to take it a step further by doing the shipping themselves but without actually investing in any equipment and extra bodies, seems like a great way for an employee to hurt themselves "while on the job". Just lining up a deal with ups or fedex to do 2 day shippping out of the stores would have probably been enough of a savings this is being too experimental.

I dont see how you can sue over a job requirement. Someone could get transferred from the stock room to a cahsier, your job is whatever your boss says it is, there's nothing written in stone.
As in, on paper you aren't required to do any deliveries, but if you don't, you start noticing your hours keep getting cut back, and you get passed over for every promotion...
I find it hard to believe they could classify them as independent contractors for only the delivery portion of their work day, so they'd have to be very careful to keep peoples' hours under the full time threshold (where they have to start offering benefits.)

This is ingenious! However, the problem is that these are Walmart employees. Bottom of the barrel. Having them do deliveries will only bring more problems than the benefits the company will reap.

Seems like a great way for a seedy employee to stake out a wealthy home theft/invasion target.

Some of you guys in this thread seem to be very uppity about the worst things that could happen in what seems like an extremely optional option. Most of us here probably orders more things from Amazon so those scary walmart employees who might "Find out our address" probably wouldn't be clicked on to deliver it anyways. Those who do get the service will probably be everyday people who aren't paranoid about suzy q and tom j from walmart seeing their home.

While I've got no love for the waltons and their shitty stores, I think it's kinda cool that Walmart, a company tradition inept at paying their workforce is allowing options for their employees to make more money. I'm sure down the line they may ruin it.

It's pretty cool to see companies try new stuff, it's what gaves us things that are better alternatives in the first place...but like some of the sentiment above there's probably gonna be a lot of growing pain like stolen stuff, broken stuff, injury claims, and all that...cause well that's people.

They already don't get paid a fair wage. You really think this is going to be any better? We instantly poke plenty of holes in this idea and it just sounds desperate.

They already don't get paid a fair wage. You really think this is going to be any better? We instantly poke plenty of holes in this idea and it just sounds desperate.

yes poke holes in an idea that hasn't started yet and instantly started on a pessimistic front, and when you guys didn't make fun of the company (which they deserve) you also make fun of the people. There are over 5000 walmart branded stores in the US. I'm sure everyone of the employees there are criminal pieces of shit that none of you complainers want at your home. Every single one.

You guys realize there are people who happily work at walmart also and some of those stores do supply both work and opportunity for people. Just like the US military, which a lot of desperate people join, make well below a fair wage, etc.

I'm not a big fan of walmart, but I do shop there. It just kinda sucks to see people make blanket statements about how walmart employees suck and are the bottom of the barrel etc...

I've worked with some people who work at major companies who suck more rancid donkey dick than some people I've met at walmart and mcdonalds :)

From a logistics and legal point of view, none of this is going to fly.

This will not end well.

But you'll order pizza delivered from a methhead?
Absolutely not. I go to a family owned pizza shop where I have known the employees who work for this employer since 1995. Their pizza is not even the best, but I go there because the service is and plus it is always nice to know the people who you are doing business with.

Walmart cooperates with a local temp agency, when you're driving, you're employed by the temp agency (at a fraction of the pay) and are under contract to follow orders from Walmart, now you're not technically Walmart's problem!

I'm just pulling that out of my rear, I don't know if that would legally work, but I wouldn't doubt that something shifty like that is possible.
That sounds like yet another lawsuit against Walmart waiting to happen. I would not be surprised in the slightest if the company tried to avoid paying employees OT this way though. I don't think it would end well for walmart though haha

Back