Wall Street Didn't Like Apple's Big iPhone 7 Event

Well, it doesn't surprise me really. People are still stupid enough to buy it.

That being said, Older Windows laptops, up to about 6 years old are still plenty fast for most people. Second gen i5/i7 laptop stuff is just fine for anybody doing anything but high end gaming on a laptop. And even then, if you have one that has an MXM 3.0b video card slot, you can upgrade to a pretty sweet laptop video card.

I have an old Dell Precision M4600. Once the FirePro 5100m (same as a Readeon 8870m - Slot is only MXM 3.0a, so it can't take the nicer video cards) arrives, it will have all the fastest available hardware that will work with it. Only thing it will lack is a second SSD, which I plan to add at some point IF I need it.

I have a precision m4600 and the m5100 does indeed work, and quite well. made my solidworks render times go like 3-4 times faster. the m5950 was a super derp card.
I do lust after those pcie x4 m.2 ssds tho..... :/

Oh tech specs! You mean like how magical it is, what colors it comes in, how many accessories I can buy for it and how well in integrates with an Apple watch? :D

I do think it's quite telling when a 3 or 4 year old flagship still has better specs than the newest iPhone. I'll probably be using my LG G3 until it dies.

It is really funny every year now seeing Tech Journalists trying as hard as they can to sound excited and breathless over moribund changes and features that were in Android flagships the year before.

Especially as those same Tech Journalists deemed those Android features "interesting but hardly essential'.

Reminds me of about 4-5 years ago when they were saying NFC is the future! OMG NFC IS SO HOT RIGHT NOW!!!! Everything has to have NFC! NFC rules!!!!!! NFC TAGS TAGGGGGGGS!!!!! TAG ALL THE THINGS!!!!

Then a few weeks later that generation of iPhone was expected to have NFC and didn't and it was all...

...well NFC isn't important...

I do think it's quite telling when a 3 or 4 year old flagship still has better specs than the newest iPhone. I'll probably be using my LG G3 until it dies.

People always say this, yet the CPU in the iPhone has always blown away everything else. It only ever performed worse (10-25% at most) to CPUs that literally had 4x the cores. I mean you can keep pretending that the specs are old and have a negative effect though if it makes you feel better.

yeah but that was 1 design they could have fixed they even ended up fixing it with the gs7 and gn7

Yes, but because of all the complaints and lackluster sales of S6 series Samsung is now punishing USA consumers with only 32GB internal UFS and no 6GB RAM option (China gets it though). It is a case of "that's why we can't have nice things" because consumers did not see past the lack of their beloved MicroSD. People ignored backup options like MUF-128CB/AM and now Samsung laughs and expects you to buy MB-MD128DA/AM or MB-MF128DA/AM.
iu

People always say this, yet the CPU in the iPhone has always blown away everything else. It only ever performed worse (10-25% at most) to CPUs that literally had 4x the cores. I mean you can keep pretending that the specs are old and have a negative effect though if it makes you feel better.

I do think there are more important things than just CPU/SOC performance alone.

Like screen resolution, expandable storage, replaceable batteries, ability to sideload all the wonderful games from Humble Bundle...

I do think there are more important things than just CPU/SOC performance alone.

Like screen resolution, expandable storage, replaceable batteries, ability to sideload all the wonderful games from Humble Bundle...
Goal posts, meet your mover.

But that's just in canned benchmarks. Why is it when you have a iPhone and Android in both hands doing usual smartphone stuff, they just perform the same?

Its not really performance that counts anymore...it's actual useful features.

I think Apple has enough cash that they could close all their stores and the web store, shut down the warehouses and halt all shipments and they'd still keep operating for years.
I don't think so. Apple's wealth is one big illusion. A huge percentage of Apple's wealth is not from product sales but from stock. Stock values are volatile. A panicked sell-off could result in a loss of 50% or more of Apple's worth...

I have a precision m4600 and the m5100 does indeed work, and quite well. made my solidworks render times go like 3-4 times faster. the m5950 was a super derp card.
I do lust after those pcie x4 m.2 ssds tho..... :/

Thing is, when the M4600 was released, the M5950 was cheaper and faster than the Quadro 1000m that was standard. And if you wanted about 20% increase over the m5950 with the Quadro 2000m, you would have had to pay around $400 more than what the 1000m was.

I don't think so. Apple's wealth is one big illusion. A huge percentage of Apple's wealth is not from product sales but from stock. Stock values are volatile. A panicked sell-off could result in a loss of 50% or more of Apple's worth...
AAPL Income Statement | Balance Sheet | Cash Flow | Apple Inc. Stock - Yahoo Finance

They have over $18 billion in cash.

But that's just in canned benchmarks. Why is it when you have a iPhone and Android in both hands doing usual smartphone stuff, they just perform the same?

Its not really performance that counts anymore...it's actual useful features.

Well look at the post I responded to.

And what features do you mean? Specifics, not just general "features" please.

Apple is one of the few companies that has a lot of actual cash floating around. Not stock value, not investments, but liquid cash. More than any other company. This fact apparently pisses off a LOT of investors, because they'd like to see it invested or returned to the stockholders.

Wall Street can suck my nuts. They're the same people who demand increased profits and growth quarter after quarter while raping the economy at the same time. They are sociopaths is every damn definition of the word.

You know, without getting into an apple rant I just think the decision to remove the jack was at anti-consumer as it gets. "Slightly thinner" is really just a bullshit excuse thrown out to and dodge around that fact. Including the silly adapter doesn't change anything other than appease a few people in the short term until the battery life starts going to shit and they learn the hard way the cost of this change.

The Air pods are just a stupid marketing money grab. They will become the "Beats" of wireless earbuds when it comes to light that they are just horribly over priced for what they are. That said, if people want to waste their money on them more power to them. This will be the last you hear out of me unless some twit starts trying to claim how their audio quality makes them worth or the other typical bullshit associated with things like this.

To me this is just another smartphone on the market that had the potential to be good, but ends up being mediocre due to so many terrible design decisions. Just like most of the top end Android handsets at present. The only reason why I even care is the simple fact that the number of good choices in a small smart phone that isn't intentionally handicapped by dumb design decisions (non removable battery being one) for those of us who don't want to upgrade every 6 bloody months is almost non-existent at this point.

Thing is, when the M4600 was released, the M5950 was cheaper and faster than the Quadro 1000m that was standard. And if you wanted about 20% increase over the m5950 with the Quadro 2000m, you would have had to pay around $400 more than what the 1000m was.

Exactly. That's why I got one with the m5950 :D. The 1000m was super derpcity

Exactly. That's why I got one with the m5950 :D. The 1000m was super derpcity

I was just looking up the M5100 to compare it to my current M4800 at work which has the K2100M in it. The M5100 is about 20% faster. hehehehe

And that is at stock speeds. There is a modded BIOS out there that ups the voltage, TDP limit, and clock limits. General speed that people get with it is about 900-930GPU/1350 RAM. The stock speed is 725/775 boost GPU/1125 RAM.

Mwhahahahaha!

You know, without getting into an apple rant I just think the decision to remove the jack was at anti-consumer as it gets.

Soldering ram into MacBooks.
Voiding warranty to expand storage.
No user removable batteries.
Redesigned the Mac Pro to eliminate the possibility of upgrading the GPU aftermarket with a standard PCIEx card.
Lightning connector instead of USB3
Removing all USB connectors for one USB3 and dropping MagSafe

There's not a whole lot that Apple does, when they make these wide sweeping changes, that is actually good for the user in the end.

Exactly.

Apple has a tight control of their hardware AND software which means the software is perfectly optimized for the hardware. The same is true of their supposedly aging Mac lines. It doesn't matter that they are 'low' specced because they perform as well if not better than competing products.

It's extremely easy to see how piss poor Android is optimized (because the hardware ecosystem is all over the place) that they need 6 core Snapdragon SoCs with 8GB of RAM just to barely meet the fluidity and input response of an iPhone. It's horrible overkill but Android sucks balls so it's a necessity to have that many cores, high clock speeds, and shit loads of RAM. That bloated OS is bloated to cover all the possible hardware combinations. The specs mean shit.

Last edited:
Back