Walking While Texting Could Mean Jail Time In New Jersey

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
How would you even enforce something like this?

The measure recently introduced by New Jersey assemblywoman Pamela Lampitt would ban walking while texting and bar pedestrians on public roads from using electronic communication devices unless they are hands-free. Violators would face fines of up to $50, 15 days imprisonment or both, which is the same penalty as jaywalking. Half of the fine would be allocated to safety education about the dangers of walking and texting, said Lampitt, a Democrat.

That's beyond crazy. This is probably just another source of revenue for NJ.

What will happen to all the funny walking & texting videos of people waljing into all sorts of things? :banghead:

Oh nvm, people will never stop... :dead:

"a democrat"

Is that her official title? Then why is it mentioned like that? It's not like it has anything to do with coming up with stupid shit.

this is the same state what won't let you put gas in your own fucking car... so this seems par for the course.

Fuck that entire state.

It's already illegal in New York City to walk down the street while reading a book.

Why doesn't this surprise me coming from New Jersey. They should make it illegal to text while taking a crap cause they're full of shit over there. Jeez.

Just make software that uses the cameras to see if you're texting while walking. Use facial recognition to find your address and bill you.
This is where its going.

The laws these days are less about promoting public good and more about giving ticketing outlets new "gotcha!" avenues to harrass the public with.

Corruption in law enforcement is quite rampant, little accountability for modern day highwaymen in uniform, on a local level they walk out the same door as the judge overseeing the process, it's a sham.

That said, this is a small one compared to the ridiculous asset seizure laws abused up the wazoo the last ten years.

It's would be so so nice to hold public "servants" accountable for their actions one of these days, less boot licking and yes men please, for the sake of society so people wont fear the law like they fear some mafia.

$50 or 15 days in jail? That sounds completely balanced.

"Your honor my client recognizes the severity of the crime, however they like to keep the $50 and request that you please send them to get buttfucked for 15 days in lockup instead".

Way I see it , it shouldn't be illegal. Just let things sort themselves out. Its win win really.

This is apparently already in affect in NYC. Pedestrians are walking into traffic, not paying attention and getting themselves into all kinds of shit because they are zoned out.

This is apparently already in affect in NYC. Pedestrians are walking into traffic, not paying attention and getting themselves into all kinds of shit because they are zoned out.

Yeah but according to Gawker media its always, 100% of the time, entirely the fault of the driver because cars are evil.

$50 or 15 days in jail? That sounds completely balanced.

"Your honor my client recognizes the severity of the crime, however they like to keep the $50 and request that you please send them to get buttfucked for 15 days in lockup instead".

These types of laws basically mean if you happen to have $50 in discretionary income, the state can steal it from you. And if you happen to be actually poor and dare to live in that state, well the state will gladly pay hundreds of dollars to house you and feed you for two weeks, and make sure you can't walk straight afterwards as punishment. So I don't think we can even point at a simple cash grab as the reason for this law and more likely a certain someone really enjoys sodomy and believes it's her duty to forcibly enlighten our less educated and wealthy citizens to this experience. You know, greater good and all that.

Yet another reason I can't wait to get out of this godforsaken state. Thankfully, I retire and move this year.

"a democrat"

Is that her official title? Then why is it mentioned like that? It's not like it has anything to do with coming up with stupid shit.

Meh, the governor of the state was considered a front runner candidate for the republican party, and he was just as over controlling and big government. The whole state is fucked up.

Walking while texting is stupid, but we don't need a law for everything. This is a massive overreach. At max the law should be that if you get hit by a car while texting you're entirely at fault. Covers what people really care about and doesn't waste cops time giving out stupid tickets.

I did point out just a few days ago that we keep having stupid laws passed by stupid politicians, glad to know the stupidity continues.

And that's how you get classism, racism, and a bunch of other stupid shit, when you start generalizing.

Racism accusation after one reply criticizing the Democrat party. New record I think.

Well, there it is again. Making a law to "finance" something else. It's always for "education". What a crock.

Sweet, now we'll see people getting gunned down for not putting their phone back in their pocket fast enough; resisting a "lawful order" and some cop gets scared.

Sweet, now we'll see people getting gunned down for not putting their phone back in their pocket fast enough; resisting a "lawful order" and some cop gets scared.

Well, I'm not waiting around for it. It would be like deciding to never sit down again until you've won the lottery.

Racism accusation after one reply criticizing the Democrat party. New record I think.
Claims of racism accusation after one mention of racism in a general context. Definitely not a new record because the right does this shit all the time because they don't know what racism is.

Right left, who the fuck cares.

I've found that the people who enjoy hanging labels on other people are the same ones who are so proud of their own.

I suppose that means I am not much one for labels. My wife is Korean, I'm a white boy. My two girls would come home confused, were they white or Asian. I told them they were just themselves and what they do.

Don't let people hang labels on you, You are all more then that.

Meh, the governor of the state was considered a front runner candidate for the republican party, and he was just as over controlling and big government. The whole state is fucked up.

Governor Christie is a more liberal Republican. In the northeast, there isn't much of a difference between the two major parties, which is why in New York conservatives organized the state's second largest third party, the Conservative Party.

Claims of racism accusation after one mention of racism in a general context. Definitely not a new record because the right does this shit all the time because they don't know what racism is.

Because disagreeing with liberal redefinitions = racism.

See, there's three kinds of people: dicks, pussies, and assholes. Pussies think everyone can get along, and dicks just want to fuck all the time without thinking it through. But then you got your assholes, Chuck. And all the assholes want us to shit all over everything! So, pussies may get mad at dicks once in a while, because pussies get fucked by dicks. But dicks also fuck assholes, Chuck. And if they didn't fuck the assholes, you know what you'd get? You'd get your dick and your pussy all covered in shit!

"The right does this shit all the time", huh? And what post were you siding with? Oh yeah, the one saying that generalizations are a bad thing.

And that's how you get classism, racism, and a bunch of other stupid shit, when you start generalizing.

Self-awareness. You need some.

Nobody's going to be enforcing these, as per the cops I deal with at work on a regular basis. The law's there so that when something DOES happen, the texter can be found in the wrong and breaking a law, and held responsible for damages to other people, or, in the case of the texter being hit by a car, the driver not being held responsible for the idiot texter walking into traffic. We've had numerous pedestrians struck by auto patients coming into the e.r. where the patient admits openly that they were texting, yet also saying that it was the drivers fault and that they're going to sue him.

Besides, I love to see a texter coming, and position myself directly into his path, and just stand there sideways so he can walk into my elbow. Great fun, they often drop their phone, I've seen a few crack the screen.

this is the same state what won't let you put gas in your own fucking car... so this seems par for the course. Fuck that entire state.
Those laws were on the books from years ago when there were more fires due to driver incompetence while self filling their cars with gas. Today, there's less chance of that, but as NJ has the lowest gasoline prices there's the feeling that making it a self fill state won't make any difference in the long run. Prices are determined by the competition from surrounding gas stations. If you want cheap gas in NJ, you can use an app for that, and drive the extra mile or so and wait on the line. Costco routinely had low prices, and they also have a five car line to wait in every time I pass there, and that's WITH someone to pump the gas for you. It's not going to get any faster having grandma fiddling with the gas cap, and shuffling to the man inside the building to pay for it first, then back again when she's done. Fuck the entire state? Great. Less people. It's already one of, if not the most densely populated states in the country. A few less people will always make it better for the rest of us who live here, as we're the cheapest option for NYC workers as opposed to CT, upstate NY, or Long Island. Besides, I've filled my car many times on my own. Like texting while walking, nobody seems to give a crap, especially the pump jockey who's been working in the freezing rain or snow for the past 12 hours. Yup, lots of the filling stations are still family run, and nobody's checking on how long grandpa hajib is sitting in that little box. Feel free to fill up over in NYC or PA where the gas can cost 30% more; nobody's forcing you to fill up in NJ. The state's only about 50 miles wide, and 170 miles long, a tankful will get you through it with no problem.

I'm just glad to see a state that is making forward steps to supporting recently separated veterans with job opportunities. CSMs and 1SGs would be wonderful pioneers to this career field.

Back