Walking Makes You Smarter

HardOCP News

[H] News
Apparently walking makes you smarter. If this is true, I want to walk enough to eventually become as smart as Steven Hawking. Wait, that’s just wrong.

U.S. researchers suggest walking enhances brain circuit connectivity and brain function. Moderate walking for 40 minutes three times per week for a year -- rather than just stretching and toning -- helped increase brain function in older adults.

Steve's just jealous because Stephen gets all the ladies with his smooth talking.

i laughed.

i once saw a comedian who made fun of handicapped people. a woman in the audience stood up and told him off, and he replied, "mam, i will stop making fun of retarded people when they stop doing funny shit"

terrible but i laughed

Steve's just jealous because Stephen gets all the ladies with his smooth talking.

I think he's jealous because its not smooth talking, but clunky robotic talk that gets the ladies ... and he's a major cripple, if that ain't a shot to one's ego ... I mean its like seeing a totally hot woman with a really fat guy!

seriously this news story I think wins the award for most uses study in history.

But the Joke was classy and well played. Not titter worthy but did give me a smirk.

I don't buy it... I've never had a driver's license and I average probably 40 miles per week and I'm still stupid...

Since ancient times, people had "thinking rooms" where they walked and thought. It does help the process.

My own personal theory on this though is a bit modified though. I practice meditation and as a major skeptic I have to admit it works, and it works by inhibiting thought about anything but the present, which in reality causes you to work out internal conflicts using some very good, modern, psychological tools disguised as centuries old Buddhist books. As medically recorded it produces theta waves in the brain, the same brain waves as deep REM sleep, which your brain goes into when its repairing itself while you sleep. (You ever wake up with the answer to some major problem from the night before?.. yea)

What does that have to do with walking? Well, if you take a moment to just notice, the truth is that while you walk, the focus on the immediate physical activity brings your mind forward and into the moment. Its a common practice for monks too, other than sitting and trying the same. You may "psych out" into a similar state while in the shower or during any long repetitive work. The mind is amazing.

So this only makes sense to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same individuals had lower stress and emotional stability factors after the fact.

Since ancient times, people had "thinking rooms" where they walked and thought. It does help the process.

My own personal theory on this though is a bit modified though. I practice meditation and as a major skeptic I have to admit it works, and it works by inhibiting thought about anything but the present, which in reality causes you to work out internal conflicts using some very good, modern, psychological tools disguised as centuries old Buddhist books. As medically recorded it produces theta waves in the brain, the same brain waves as deep REM sleep, which your brain goes into when its repairing itself while you sleep. (You ever wake up with the answer to some major problem from the night before?.. yea)

What does that have to do with walking? Well, if you take a moment to just notice, the truth is that while you walk, the focus on the immediate physical activity brings your mind forward and into the moment. Its a common practice for monks too, other than sitting and trying the same. You may "psych out" into a similar state while in the shower or during any long repetitive work. The mind is amazing.

So this only makes sense to me, and I wouldn't be surprised if the same individuals had lower stress and emotional stability factors after the fact.

Do most of my deep thought on the treadmill or similar. Typically if I have a complex network issue unresolved at work I resolve it while spaced out at the gym.

Do most of my deep thought on the treadmill or similar. Typically if I have a complex network issue unresolved at work I resolve it while spaced out at the gym.

Treadmill, walking... I do roughly 9 hours of biking every week, I find myself most often "in the zone" about 45 minuets into a ride, when I can stop paying attention to the breathing and muscles, and the sensation feels extremely like what it feels in my mind when I sit for meditation.

You're not alone.

There is a nuts-and-bolts kind of meditation manual called Mindfulness in Plain English .. you can buy it off Amazon or download it free (legally) here ... check out their description of the state you want to attain and compare it to your thoughts (or lack there of) while on the treadmill.

Some idiot forgot to correlation between reading or thinking while doing a long term remedial task (like walking). Longer sessions of reading and/or thinking performed, much like the old "thinking rooms", were a direct result of correlation, NOT causation.

So, walking does NOT make you smarter, but you can find a correlation just as you would in many areas of life.

It's been known for a while. John Ratey did a study on it and it's not just walking, really any aerobic exercise for at least 45 minutes a day, at least three times a week.

Looks like Steve is stealing his jokes from Fark submissions these days, though I think the original headline was better. And it's Stephen, Steve. I went ahead and highlighted that for you. :D

hawking.png

What about the homeless? They walk way more than that. Study leader Art Kramer and his colleagues gonna do some explaining.....

It's not rocket science. Walking improves circulation and pulmonary function, and improved circulation helps nutrients and oxygen reach the brain more effectively. Capillary health is important for the brain. If the body is healthy, the brain can be healthy. If the body is healthy, the brain suffers as it's part of the body.

It's not rocket science. Walking improves circulation and pulmonary function, and improved circulation helps nutrients and oxygen reach the brain more effectively. Capillary health is important for the brain. If the body is healthy, the brain can be healthy. If the body is healthy, the brain suffers as it's part of the body.

Your brain is not healthy. ;)

Walking doesn't make you smarter, it just increases blood flow from the end result of strengthening your heart. Any healthy increase in blood flow allows your organs to function more effectively, as now your organs have more access to oxygen and nutrients.

To say you become "smarter" though is a bit of a stretch though.

I find it ironic that a thread about smarts gives me an Atma link to Steven Seagal. :p

I go walking when I think up new melodies for crap. But it's more because I am doing nothing constructive and walking places is really boring/monotonous unless you get mugged which is a rare occurance.

And older probably means really old people, like 40, 30 somethings.

Also walking in bad shoes makes your feet weird, which means that you can't wear sexy heels. Which will mean the alien overloads will exterminate you all when you can't be hookers in the alien bars. Whos stupid now walking meatsack?

Back