Wal-Mart says it’s preordered 5 of Tesla’s New Electric Tractor Trailers

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
The shoes are starting to drop and Tesla appears to be in the drivers seat when it comes to the electric tractor trailer market. According to CNBC, (WARNING auto play video) Wal-Mart has preordered 5 of the Tesla semi trucks and is going to test them in the U.S. and Canada. This follows on the announcement by J.B. Hunt that they have reserved multiple semis as well.

In an expansion from personal vehicles, Tesla CEO Elon Musk unveiled an electric semitractor-trailer Thursday that has a 500-mile range on a single charge and is electronically connected with a fleet's management system. The vehicle allows the driver to stand and puts the steering wheel in the center with a touchscreen panel on both sides of the driver.

"The vehicle allows the driver to stand"

How long until someone does that scene from Titanic?

I'd rather see some van damme split over a semi action like this:

There were safety precautions during that stunt in case anything went wrong, but the trucks and stability and him doing the splits between them are the real deal.

Judging by the photo. Is the trailer part of the truck? Otherwise, how does it turn if the trailer is that close to the cab ...

*Edit* looking at a few other photos, it looks as if the backend must have a foot of wind deflectors that the trailer would turn within. So the back of the truck would be like this \_______/ .

|________| <-- Trailer
\_______/ <-- Truck

Last edited:
Judging by the photo. Is the trailer part of the truck? Otherwise, how does it turn if the trailer is that close to the cab ...

Panels move out of the way. Unofficial video, but not sure that I can link to a specific time on the official video.

Great showman as usual, might want to actually get what they currently produce going right before venturing on to other vehicles. I also question the 500 mile range, Telsa cars start to drop significantly once you decrease the outside temperature and increase the equipment use such as AC and all that is before you add in pulling a trailer with all sorts of differing weights.

*Edit* looking at a few other photos, it looks as if the backend must have a foot of wind deflectors that the trailer would turn within. So the back of the truck would be like this \_______/ .

|________| <-- Trailer
\_______/ <-- Truck

The story I read yesterday said that it was trailer agnostic so that it should be able to pull any normal trailer, though the more streamlined the trailer the better the efficiency will be.

What I am wondering is what happened with the hybrid trucks Wal Mart bought several years ago? I remember they were going to test them to see how well they would improve efficiency, but never saw any further stories about them.

I'd rather see some van damme split over a semi action like this:

There were safety precautions during that stunt in case anything went wrong, but the trucks and stability and him doing the splits between them are the real deal.

Van Damme is awesome! 2nd only to Bruce Lee.

Great showman as usual, might want to actually get what they currently produce going right before venturing on to other vehicles. I also question the 500 mile range, Telsa cars start to drop significantly once you decrease the outside temperature and increase the equipment use such as AC and all that is before you add in pulling a trailer with all sorts of differing weights.

He doesn't have to because for someone like Elon whom almost anyone will throw all their money at the more ideas he comes up with the more money he gets from investors. Its almost to the point of a Ponzi scheme, make a product idea, get tons of money. Keep doing it to fund the over budget products from before. But really if people just kept throwing billions at me I would happily do that. On the other hand a company like Elio cant even get half a billion to try and make a product that is far more tangible and could put big dents in our gas and carbon footprint.

He doesn't have to because for someone like Elon whom almost anyone will throw all their money at the more ideas he comes up with the more money he gets from investors. Its almost to the point of a Ponzi scheme, make a product idea, get tons of money. Keep doing it to fund the over budget products from before. But really if people just kept throwing billions at me I would happily do that. On the other hand a company like Elio cant even get half a billion to try and make a product that is far more tangible and could put big dents in our gas and carbon footprint.
Elio hahahhaha, oh please, should be called who wants to die.

Back