Wal-Mart In Talks To Buy Jet.com

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Jet.com, otherwise known as that place you ordered from only because there was a coupon, may be bought by the world’s largest brick-and-mortar retailer. The deal would hypothetically bolster Wal-Mart’s disappointing performance in the e-commerce arena.

Jet, barely a year old, has sought to underprice Amazon with a vast marketplace that would require billions of dollars in funding and a plan to rely more on suppliers than warehouse inventory. A part of its growth strategy early on relied on taking orders for products it didn’t sell and placing orders on behalf of its customers on other sites, often selling the items below what it paid while absorbing steep shipping costs. Jet has curtailed the practice. Wal-Mart has scrambled to keep pace with Amazon, which overtook Wal-Mart by market capitalization a year ago and now sports a market value that is 50% larger.

Jet $35 off $50 one time use coupon was awesome. It didn't verify credit card or shipping address to track usage, it verified email address. I created a shit ton of emails on one of my domains and got like $2000 in stuff I was going to buy anyways for like $700.

Jet sucks now, coupon not withstanding. They canceled 2 normal no coupon orders in a row without the fucking courtesy of notifying me. I need up waiting for things that never were canceled with no notice.

Close a few hundred stores to cover losses putting a few thousand people out of work, then blow a few hundred million (or more) on a website.

Does anyone else see a pretty serious issue with rationality here? :confused:

Disclaimer: "No, I'm not a business major or economist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night..."

Jet $35 off $50 one time use coupon was awesome. It didn't verify credit card or shipping address to track usage, it verified email address. I created a shit ton of emails on one of my domains and got like $2000 in stuff I was going to buy anyways for like $700.

Jet sucks now, coupon not withstanding. They canceled 2 normal no coupon orders in a row without the fucking courtesy of notifying me. I need up waiting for things that never were canceled with no notice.

You cheat the system creating a bunch fake emails to use a zillion one-per-household coupons, and then want to complain about their lack of courtesy now that they've upped their fraud prevention game to cut down on idiots trying to ruin it for everyone.

Utter comedy.

Well he did say they cancelled a "no coupon" order, so it wasn't fraud prevention.

That said, Jet.com was nothing more than a reseller for other companies, they were only the middle man who got a cut of profits which is why you see prices wildly all over the place (as in way too high), if it wasn't for the 20% or $50 coupon most of the shit there would be overpriced useless garbage. My favorite bit about them is them charging me for a GTX 970 at a good discount, sending me a GTX 960 which was too expensive for a 960, and then when I complain they simply say "send it back". Only after about half a dozen emails did they even do anything nice to rectify the situation which was to give me a credit for the $50 on a future purchase.

addtext_com_Mj_Iz_Nz_U3_MTY4_NTIw.jpg

They seemed to be nothing more than yet another storefront option for eBay "buy it now" type inventory liquidators...just with yet another name that made no sense.

Yep. I placed all of one order with them, a PS3 slim with a 20% off coupon. Pricier than normal without, but a decent deal with.
Not really surprised that they're getting taken over.

Though in a bit of irony, I've purchased more things from Walmart's existing online store than Jet. Not a lot, but still.

Abuses the system and then bitches when orders are cancelled. Yup that is hipster logic.

Fine with me. I have ordered a few things from Walmart and shipping seems fine. They must be paying a ton since they use FedEx.

Back