wake on lan question for home network

thekipper

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I'm kind of a novice to this but I have a home network set up as follow and was interested in the WOL function.

1. Server/gaming PC located in basement: wired via switch connected directly to router (WNDR3700)

2. Dell XPS lapop upstairs connected to wirelessly to network.

Can I use the Dell laptop (wireless connection) to wake up my PC that is located in the basement?

If not, is it okay to let the basement PC run continuously without sleeping/hibernating or is there a way to reduce power but keep the drives network accessible?

It's really cool in the basement and the case is well ventilated so heat shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks!

Is the magic packet going to be sent directly from the laptop to the workstation in the basement? Or are you going to submit the command to your router to send it on the laptop's behalf?

Is the magic packet going to be sent directly from the laptop to the workstation in the basement? Or are you going to submit the command to your router to send it on the laptop's behalf?

Those are great questions for which I do not have answers:) For me, whatever is easiest would be best but I am open to recommendations if there are pro's/cons to either solution!

Thanks for the input!

Generally, most people on SOHO networks (those with single subnets or VLANs) simply broadcast the magic packet. Certainly in a home environment, this is what I'd do.

Now, to the original question on whether to let a PC sleep or keep it on all the time... This is one of those questions you can ask 10 people and get 12 different answers. I believe the current thinking on the subject these days is that the electronics problems caused by regular heating and cooling of computer have mostly been addressed. It's no longer necessary to keep a system running full time to increase its lifespan or maintain reliability.

Availability is the other reason to keep a system on all the time. But if you have the ability to power the system on a schedule, or use capabilities like WOL to activate a system when it's needed, then why keep it on all the time?

This is a tool I've used before to generate WOL magic packets. It's nice because it does have other useful functionality... There are other tools (simpler, more complex, command line, etc) which might fit your needs better... But if nothing else, this gives you somewhere to start:

http://aquilawol.sourceforge.net/

Finally, if you know you want your basement PC on at a specific time every day, you can use the built in Windows task scheduler to wake the computer from sleep mode on a schedule. I do this with my media / download server and have it wake up every day at 3:00 just before the kids get home from school. (it also goes to sleep at 1:00 AM, just after the time I typically crawl to bed.) That'll save you from having to wait the few minutes after using WOL to wake the machine, or make life simpler if you have family you don't want to teach to use WOL. :)

Last edited:
Finally, if you know you want your basement PC on at a specific time every day, you can use the built in Windows task scheduler to wake the computer from sleep mode on a schedule. I do this with my media / download server and have it wake up every day at 3:00 just before the kids get home from school. (it also goes to sleep at 1:00 AM, just after the time I typically crawl to bed.) That'll save you from having to wait the few minutes after using WOL to wake the machine, or make life simpler if you have family you don't want to teach to use WOL. :)

Voila! This is exactly what I would like to do. Could you PM me some info on how to accomplish this? Ironically, I want the drive accessible for the same reasons and basically the same times as I usually am done about 1am also.

Thanks very much for the info!

Back