Wake on LAN over Internet

Barstool

Limp Gawd
Has anyone successfully gotten Wake on LAN (WoL) to work over the Internet?

I've read a few tutorials on how to get this to work. I've enabled Wake on LAN on my mobo/integrated NIC, I have the pertinent IP/MAC info., I've forwarded the ports necessary on my router (to point toward my desktop I want to wake up, which has a static IP address), and I've opened up those ports in my firewall as well.

I haven't been able to get it to work, and it's really irritating. Help? :(

I haven't had a chance to test it, as I don't have a second computer to try it out on.

Ugh. Everywhere I read, they say it's possible to do it from a computer that is not in the LAN.

So why is this so fscking difficult?

There's gotta be a workaround somewhere.

It is possible to do WoL over the Internet, the tricky part is getting the WoL packet to get through the router and be broadcasted over the network. You could have WoL setup perfectly on the PC, be sending the packet to your home network, but your router might be killing that packet thinking it's an attack, or it may simply not be able to forward it right.

I have WoL enabled on certain machines in my home network, I've never tried to wake a machine up directly via that method, I use a FreeBSD box on my network that runs all the time, I SSH into it, and then have it send the magic packet.

Give us more info on the router, NIC's and general setup, as that will make a difference.

Yeah, I would agree that it looks like my router is the culprit.

I'm running a WRT54G v5 running the latest Linksys firmware (yeah, I know, I should flash it but I wanted to try it stock for a while since it's new). The NIC in question is a generic onboard NIC, branded a Realtek RTL8139 (or something to that effect).

UPDATE: Tested it at home on my LAN, it works flawlessly when I'm behind the router.

The whole point is that I'm living in an apartment with a huge electric bill as it is and want to have everything off until I need it.

Barstool said:
The whole point is that I'm living in an apartment with a huge electric bill as it is and want to have everything off until I need it.

You do realize that one computer idling 24/7 uses about $9/mo of electricity, right? (assuming 9c/kwh)

I think the Linksys is your issue, I'm pretty sure the stock firmware doesn't have an option to forward WoL packets. Third party firmware can do this, but as I recall the v5 is not upgradable with the 3rd party stuff.

tdg said:
I think the Linksys is your issue, I'm pretty sure the stock firmware doesn't have an option to forward WoL packets. Third party firmware can do this, but as I recall the v5 is not upgradable with the 3rd party stuff.

I've determined this as well, by verifying that WoL works perfectly within my LAN. However, I'm reluctant to try any third party firmwares (there ARE hacks around for the v5).

In any case, it's not a necessity, just a challenge. I'm still welcome to ideas if anyone has them.

Thanks [H]. :D

Axeldoomeyer said:
I found some info here:

http://www.broadbandreports.com/faq/wol/1.1 DSLR Wake on Lan

I don't know if this is any help. I know that I have had problems with WOL and routers even on a large LAN with mutiply VLAN's. I have yet to try it on the internet.

Great article, I've read it before, however the info. in it...well...I can't do some of it.
It suggests I forward UDP port 9 traffic to xxx.xxx.xxx.255. My wrt54g won't LET me forward, saying that it's an invalid adress then defaults back to what it was.

da sponge said:
You do realize that one computer idling 24/7 uses about $9/mo of electricity, right? (assuming 9c/kwh)

That highly depends on hardware and power draw. My desktop(athlon XP-m [email protected]) pulls 167w while folding, which is running almost all the time. I seem to remember getting about $20 a month for the power draw, and add some more to run the a/c to cool the heat it throws off. My laptop(1.86Ghz Pentium m) also is always folding, but it only uses 30w.

As far as waking it up, I'd run one low power machine that you can VPN/VNC into and wake up the machine you want. Remember though, that even when machines are off, they are still drawing power on the +5VSB rail. I usually unplug mine form the wall when I leave it off for a while.

Back