Wake on LAN HELP

Hi

At work we have about 250 pc's with intel 10/100 pro ve on board nic card with the ability to WAKE ON LAN.

My problem is if i do a start ==>shutdown the next time i try to use wake on lan it will work ok

but if i shut down with the power button, and if i then try wake on lan it will not work.

This is a problem because I work in a school with 8000 plus students and they all use the power button.

what is wrong with the WAKE ON LAN.

the only thing I can think of is that the wake-on-lan doesn't work because when you hit the power button it turns off all power to the computer. Therefore no power to use the wake-on-lan. If you properly shut it down, it still is powered (minimally). If the correct procedure is followed to shut it down then wake on lan will work, i don't think there is any way to get around this.

I've had a similar problem, and the conclusion I came to was that it was indeed a sleep/shutdown state issue.

I'm pretty sure that the regular windows shutdown doesn't actually totally poweroff the PC (it leaves some power going to the nic for instance), but using the power button sometimes does, so there's no one home when the magic packet comes a knocking.

However, I believe it is possible to modify exactly what the powerbutton does, if not through windows, then through the bios or via jumpers, at least on some motherboards.

There are multiple shutdown states, I think called "s1", "s2" "s3" etc, but I'm not sure if all motherboards support all the states.

It's something I've been meaning to look into recently, because we're re-evaluating the way we do remote administration in work.

Back