Waiting on a backordered 1gb GTX 460 - Cancel and go for a 5850?

RobotChild

Gawd
My MSI 1gb GTX 460 is on backorder right now, and I am debating cancelling the order and getting a XFX 5850 instead.

Is the 5850 worth the extra 60$?

I'm using a Asus Crosshair IV Formula, so CrossfireX is my main reasoning.

I'd say go for the 5850 so its much easier on your wallet to upgrade later on if you feel you need the performance boost from CF.

well sli actually is working better right now, however as a single card the 5850 is faster and OC well.

what are the rest of your system specs? esp resolution. generally the 5850 is worth more but if your planing to go dual card that changes pretty quick. but I would normally recommend the faster single card solution, in this case the 5850

My specs are
Phenom x6 1090T
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
8gb OCZ ram
850W Seasonic PSU

My motherboard only supports Crossfire, but I've heard of an SLI hack for any board?

I game at 1920x1200

My specs are
Phenom x6 1090T
Asus Crosshair IV Formula
8gb OCZ ram
850W Seasonic PSU

My motherboard only supports Crossfire, but I've heard of an SLI hack for any board?

I game at 1920x1200

a single 5850 would be fine. SLI can be hacked but I would not bother with the 5850 available. make sure you get the reference card from XFX as its known to OC better (you can control the voltage.) also the MSI cards seem to be pretty good cooling wise.

I game at 1920x1200

Then the 1GB GTX 460 should be fine for now. Tough decision. At least we don't have to talk you out of the 768MB card for that resolution. That's refreshing after recent threads.

Honestly, I dont think you will get one and say to yourself "I wish I got the other one".
They are both good cards.

I sent NCIX a ticket, if I can still cancel the order for the card, I'll go for a 5850.

I don't like upgrading very often, and the ability to add a 2nd 5850 a year or two down the road for cheap doesn't sound half bad.

I'm using a GTS 250 right now, and I can play every game I want to play right now, albeit at mid settings.

I hope the 68xx is released shortly after the 67xxs

Back