Waiting for zen3 CPUs. Testing parts and mobo BIOS upgrade = buy 3100 CPU?

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
1,633
Hi Guys...

Due to recent stock shortages and I pulled the trigger on all components for two brand new AMD builds based on upcoming zen3 CPUs (most likely 5800x). I got mobos, PSUs, cases, AIOs, case fans, RAM and nvme drives.
I can return them until October 25. According to the latest rumor the launch for rez3 will be October 20. So assuming I get my hands on CPUs by October 22-23, it should give me plenty of time to complete builds (including testing all components).

MSI yesterday released new beta BIOS to support Zen3 including x570 Tomahawk mobo, do you know if I need it on my mobo in order for 5800x CPU to work? or will it work out of the box.

If I need to flash BIOS, I guess I won't have a choice but to buy i.e. one 3100 CPU. This will also allow me to test the rest of the components (except maybe AIO) and maybe install windows 10. Then in theory I would just swamp CPUs and install AIO.
However swapping 3100 between 2 builds may be not ideal... Without CPUs I could possibly test PSU, case fans, RAM and possibly nVME drives on my current 8700k build. (possibly a lot of pain due to d15 HSF in the way).

Any ideas on how to do this? I know third world problems... LOL

EDIT: Someone pointed out I can do BIOS update without CPU. (it is on page 46 of my mobo's manual). Therefore I might just wait and hope I get zen3 to test the rest of the system. If not I might just buy 3100 CPU...
 
Last edited:

dave343

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 17, 2000
Messages
1,788
Ugh... Oct 20th... I was hoping we'd see them available for pre-order or availalbe on or around the 8th.
 

Ready4Dis

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 4, 2015
Messages
2,374
Hi Guys...

Due to recent stock shortages and I pulled the trigger on all components for two brand new AMD builds based on upcoming zen3 CPUs (most likely 5800x). I got mobos, PSUs, cases, AIOs, case fans, RAM and nvme drives.
I can return them until October 25. According to the latest rumor the launch for rez3 will be October 20. So assuming I get my hands on CPUs by October 22-23, it should give me plenty of time to complete builds (including testing all components).

MSI yesterday released new beta BIOS to support Zen3 including x570 Tomahawk mobo, do you know if I need it on my mobo in order for 5800x CPU to work? or will it work out of the box.

If I need to flash BIOS, I guess I won't have a choice but to buy i.e. one 3100 CPU. This will also allow me to test the rest of the components (except maybe AIO) and maybe install windows 10. Then in theory I would just swamp CPUs and install AIO.
However swapping 3100 between 2 builds may be not ideal... Without CPUs I could possibly test PSU, case fans, RAM and possibly nVME drives on my current 8700k build. (possibly a lot of pain due to d15 HSF in the way).

Any ideas on how to do this? I know third world problems... LOL

EDIT: Someone pointed out I can do BIOS update without CPU. (it is on page 46 of my mobo's manual). Therefore I might just wait and hope I get zen3 to test the rest of the system. If not I might just buy 3100 CPU...
Honestly, it's not a bad idea to at least throw in a 3100 (or any compatible CPU really) and get it all up and running/tested. You can install windows + steam, w/e you wanted. Just don't install ryzen master until AFTER you put the new CPU in, it gets very confused and causes issues (at least that was my experience when going from a 1600 to 3700x). Who knows how stock will be at launch, so might be a good idea to have everything tested and waiting so you can just drop it in, tweak a few things and start using it.
 

amd7674

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 1, 2007
Messages
1,633
Honestly, it's not a bad idea to at least throw in a 3100 (or any compatible CPU really) and get it all up and running/tested. You can install windows + steam, w/e you wanted. Just don't install ryzen master until AFTER you put the new CPU in, it gets very confused and causes issues (at least that was my experience when going from a 1600 to 3700x). Who knows how stock will be at launch, so might be a good idea to have everything tested and waiting so you can just drop it in, tweak a few things and start using it.

Thank you :p I'll wait till October 8 for the announcement when CPUs are coming out. Based on that I will make the decision. I would like to avoid buy/return CPU if I can.
 

/dev/null

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Mar 31, 2001
Messages
14,987
Thank you :p I'll wait till October 8 for the announcement when CPUs are coming out. Based on that I will make the decision. I would like to avoid buy/return CPU if I can.
Buy/resell. It's not like you are going to lose a ton of money on say a $99 cpu. I bet you can use a 3100 until Zen3 is available and get at least $50-$60 for it
 

Ready4Dis

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 4, 2015
Messages
2,374
Buy/resell. It's not like you are going to lose a ton of money on say a $99 cpu. I bet you can use a 3100 until Zen3 is available and get at least $50-$60 for it
Still time and hassle though, just saying it could allow some time to get things ready, but really depends on what they announce in what, 3 days now? If they say no availability until the end of month, maybe worth it, I'd they day availability next week, maybe not (if you can actually get hands on one).
 
Top