Waiting for VEGA. Am I alone?

Spoonie_G

Limp Gawd
I have a freesync monitor, and I don't like how Nvidia operates as a company. So I find it hard to purchase their products anymore. Current card is a Water Cooled R9 Fury (non x). I'm looking to game in 4k and AMD doesn't offer a single die GPU that can produce that. I will be ready in October. Not sure when AMD will be ready with the VEGA. I read that they pushed the date from 2017 to late 2016.

Thanks

Based on all of the rumors I have seen it will probably be closer to the end of the year that Vega is released at the earliest. Judging by the amount of stock of RX 480s you probably won't actually be able to buy one until Q1 next year sometime. This is all just my speculation, so take it with a grain of salt.

They, AMD, have a ton on their plate with Zen, refresh of consoles, and then Vega. It could be delayed.

I have a freesync monitor, and I don't like how Nvidia operates as a company. So I find it hard to purchase their products anymore. Current card is a Water Cooled R9 Fury (non x). I'm looking to game in 4k and AMD doesn't offer a single die GPU that can produce that. I will be ready in October. Not sure when AMD will be ready with the VEGA. I read that they pushed the date from 2017 to late 2016.

Thanks

If you are patient, I would wait. In fact, adding a second R9 Fury to your loop could definitely boost your 4k performance as well. (Assuming your loop and power supply could handle it.) Yes, they only have 4GB of ram but that should not be an issue for a while anyways but, it will eventually become an issue, of course.

What are the clocks you are able to get on that card? Where you able to unlock the disabled shaders? I know you did not ask for what I am saying, just giving my 2 cents worth, which is about what it is worth. :D

Thanks

I'm in pretty much the exact same situation. I dislike nV's practices and I'm not in a hurry to upgrade yet. I'm still trucking along at 4K with an unlocked Fury and a 33-60Hz Freesync range. I drop a few settings like AA to stay in that range and get by. I'm waiting to see what Zen and Vega offer before I make a new build in a Dan A4 case.

Considering what you have....
Waiting for Vega sounds good! Wish I was hurting with a fury lol

Reactions: atom
like this
I have a 3440x1440 ultrawide freesync monitor that I was thinking about waiting until Vega for, but then I just grabbed a 480 and water block instead. I was coming from a GTX 680, so it's a good upgrade. If you have a Fury, I'd say wait for sure!

Vega won't be out until sometime next year (likely) being that they just announced a delay for Zen. I'm going to see what Vega has to offer and either jump on that, or just wait until the following generation with AMD's "next gen memory". More than likely the 480 will get me by for another year+

Have a freesync monitor too and I am waiting for Vega too but why have that stop you from enjoying now I have nvidia now and if Vega performa well I will sell this and switch. No problem there. I guess that's just me I don't mind selling at a little loss as long as I enjoyed the product.

I have a 3440x1440 ultrawide freesync monitor that I was thinking about waiting until Vega for, but then I just grabbed a 480 and water block instead. I was coming from a GTX 680, so it's a good upgrade. If you have a Fury, I'd say wait for sure!

Vega won't be out until sometime next year (likely) being that they just announced a delay for Zen. I'm going to see what Vega has to offer and either jump on that, or just wait until the following generation with AMD's "next gen memory". More than likely the 480 will get me by for another year+

Announced delay for zen? Seriously. Zen was always 2017 part volume. Stop making things up. Lol

Announced delay for zen? Seriously. Zen was always 2017 part volume. Stop making things up. Lol

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/08/18/amd_zen_latest/

FTA: Zen-based chips will be fabricated by GlobalFoundries and feature 14nm low-power FinFETs. Desktop PC Zen processors, codenamed Summit Ridge and branded AMD FX, will ship in the first quarter of 2017, with perhaps a few appearing on sale at the very end of 2016. In other words, it won't officially become available in 2016 as AMD had once planned.

I mean, Algrim already proved you wrong, but I will too.

From the AMD earnings call on Jan 19th, 2016

Lisa Su - "In client computing, our opportunities to regain share in 2016 will be driven by our design win momentum, continued progress expanding into the commercial market, and reentering the high-performance desktop market late in the year with our Zen-based Summit Ridge CPU."

AMD-Zen-High-Performance-Core.jpg

We should just stay on topic now ;)

If big VEGA comes in at 4096 Graphics Cores (Polaris Equivalent Cores), 8GB HBM2, Better Triangle Throughput, and higher clock speed than Polaris (1500 MHZ) - priced at around 499$ MSRP the it'll be big WIN. Should put up a fight quite nicely against the GTX1080 on newer games.

For small VEGA - give it 3584 cores, 8GB HBM2, Better Triangle Throughput, and higher clock speed than Polaris (1400 MHZ) - price it around 349$ and let it rip against the GTX1070..

RX450-2GB - 79$
RX460-4GB - 109$
RX470-4GB - 169$
RX480-8GB - 239$
VEGASMALL-8GBHBM2 - 349$
VEGABIG-8GBHBM2 - 499$

Pretty sure most of the cards bought will be RX470-4GB, and the VEGASMALL.

AMD can undercut NVIDIA in the display chain (monitor, and vid card) given Free Sync.. My assumption is that 4K free sync should work out fairly well even if VEGA might be struggling to keep 60 FPS on the latest DX12 games.

Last edited:
If big VEGA comes in at 4096 Graphics Cores (Polaris Equivalent Cores), 8GB HBM2, Better Triangle Throughput, and higher clock speed than Polaris (1500 MHZ) - priced at around 499$ MSRP the it'll be big WIN. Should put up a fight quite nicely against the GTX1080 on newer games.

For small VEGA - give it 3584 cores, 8GB HBM2, Better Triangle Throughput, and higher clock speed than Polaris (1400 MHZ) - price it around 349$ and let it rip against the GTX1070..

RX450-2GB - 79$
RX460-4GB - 109$
RX470-4GB - 169$
RX480-8GB - 239$
VEGASMALL-8GBHBM2 - 349$
VEGABIG-8GBHBM2 - 499$

Pretty sure most of the cards bought will be RX470-4GB, and the VEGASMALL.

AMD can undercut NVIDIA in the display chain (monitor, and vid card) given Free Sync.. My assumption is that 4K free sync should work out fairly well even if VEGA might be struggling to keep 60 FPS on the latest DX12 games.

You aren't going to see HBM2 on ANY GPU under $599..It just isn't going to happen anytime within the next 6~12 months..The costs behind HBM2 are massive and low yields/tight supply are going to make it even worse..

I will be the first to eat crow if AMD can perform a miracle and bring out a 1080 competitor with HBM2 for $499, but I don't see it happening..If Vega is on a par with a 1080, expect it to be ~$550..

my current card is still going strong and I'll continue to hold out for the underdog.

I'm waiting for sure. In almost 1 year of 4k gaming I have found exactly 1 game which I could not use max settings which is rise of the tomb raider with very high textures @ 4k. Far cry primal hit the hbm pretty hard also but that's it. There's only a handful that don't support crossfire and I always turn off aa, dof, motion blur, film grain, and chromatic abberation. With those turned off I can actually use 1 card and never leave freesync range (33-60hz). If the fury x replacement can get within 20% of the new titan x pascal I will be very happy. If you look at current benches you will see a fury x is now faster than a titan x maxwell

To the guy who mentioned doom, I beat that game with nightmare shadows and it doesn't even touch hbm. You have to add this in the steam launch options

+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1

Nvidia owes me $60 from my 970 sli setup I came from

You aren't going to see HBM2 on ANY GPU under $599..It just isn't going to happen anytime within the next 6~12 months..The costs behind HBM2 are massive and low yields/tight supply are going to make it even worse..

I will be the first to eat crow if AMD can perform a miracle and bring out a 1080 competitor with HBM2 for $499, but I don't see it happening..If Vega is on a par with a 1080, expect it to be ~$550..

You got part of the rumour correct , supposedly Vega launch was in 2017 because of SK Hynix producing the 8gb stacks in last quarter of this year. When you are talking about terrible yield for HBM2 that is Nvidia's problem and the reason why there is no Pascal (consumer) with HBM2.

You got part of the rumour correct , supposedly Vega launch was in 2017 because of SK Hynix producing the 8gb stacks in last quarter of this year. When you are talking about terrible yield for HBM2 that is Nvidia's problem and the reason why there is no Pascal (consumer) with HBM2.

No, its because HBM for consumer segment is idiotic due to its cost structure. Its a great product for HPC, specially due to ECC. You also see Samsung commit to GDDR6(GDDR5X clone) for the same reason. And the HBM consortium struggling to try and make a lower cost HBM model. But its flawed in design in terms of cost structure. Even the power benefit looks to be completely gone vs GDDR5X/GDDR6.

So in short, you use HBM for size and ECC.

Hynix-HBM2-4-900x507.png

Last edited:
Waiting it out unless there's something that forces my hand. At 1440, so far the 290x is doing great for the few titles I play.

I thought the reason was cost, not yields.

If you are patient, I would wait. In fact, adding a second R9 Fury to your loop could definitely boost your 4k performance as well. (Assuming your loop and power supply could handle it.) Yes, they only have 4GB of ram but that should not be an issue for a while anyways but, it will eventually become an issue, of course.

What are the clocks you are able to get on that card? Where you able to unlock the disabled shaders? I know you did not ask for what I am saying, just giving my 2 cents worth, which is about what it is worth. :D

I haven't overclocked the card yet. I downloaded everything I need but haven't found the time. Stock speeds are fine at 1440p, and at 4k even an overclock isn't enough if you want to turn on all the eye candy. Its tempting to overclock, because in some games, my card can handle 4k with a good amount of eye candy still left on. But a second R9 fury might be my best bet. But I didn't want to SLI, and my case (Inwin 805) won't fit another radiator cooled component (already have a H80i).

Have a freesync monitor too and I am waiting for Vega too but why have that stop you from enjoying now I have nvidia now and if Vega performa well I will sell this and switch. No problem there. I guess that's just me I don't mind selling at a little loss as long as I enjoyed the product.

I might have to do that if my 4k gaming falls short with my current card, which it does. And if AMD is talking about 1Q of 2017 (which means April 2017). I"ll be looking at a 1080 or ti (if they make it) as a place holder. Thanks bud!!!

Yeah I'm part of the waiting for Vega crew, I want to see what the Samsung Cf791 is like and the X34P. Until both of those monitors are released, i'm not purchasing a monitor or a graphics card.

Didn't stop AMD selling HBM videocard maybe Nvidia enjoys profit to much to consider you guys worthy

And that was such a great success wasn't it? Not to mention the pricepoint AMD stopped production.

Nvidia made the GP102 for the same reason. And HBM manufactors are trying to figure out a cheaper HBM cost structure as well.

Its about cost, cost and cost as you are already presented for earlier in this thread.

HBM2 in its current form contra GDDR5X/GDDR6 only holds 2 advantages. ECC and size. All the rest is more a disadvantage at this point, specially cost.

But ask yourself why you want HBM based cards. And you may end up with a "just because" without any arguments.

Last edited:
Didn't stop AMD selling HBM videocard maybe Nvidia enjoys profit to much to consider you guys worthy

LOL and making a loss, and still haven't recouped from creating a supply chain and manufacturing chain for it? That was smart?

Granted Fiji had no choice if they used GDDR, die size would have been larger, which probably would have made their chip unmanufacturerable and if it even was say by by to the 250 watts, it would of been closer to 300 watts.

Doing something out of necessity isn't the same thing as what your saying, there were business needs that had to be met, and even then they weren't fully met.

Last edited:
Vega may be a Q2 2017 product now. Since H1 is used as reference.

d3YwROH.png

I'm waiting for sure. In almost 1 year of 4k gaming I have found exactly 1 game which I could not use max settings which is rise of the tomb raider with very high textures @ 4k. Far cry primal hit the hbm pretty hard also but that's it. There's only a handful that don't support crossfire and I always turn off aa, dof, motion blur, film grain, and chromatic abberation. With those turned off I can actually use 1 card and never leave freesync range (33-60hz). If the fury x replacement can get within 20% of the new titan x pascal I will be very happy. If you look at current benches you will see a fury x is now faster than a titan x maxwell

To the guy who mentioned doom, I beat that game with nightmare shadows and it doesn't even touch hbm. You have to add this in the steam launch options

+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1

Nvidia owes me $60 from my 970 sli setup I came from

Man if I had known that a few weeks ago I would have gotten a Fury X. Guess I'll just mess around with this RX 480 until Vega comes out. It's going into the HTPC whenever I get around to it. I'm waiting to see what the first HDR monitors are going to look like.

Vega may be a Q2 2017 product now. Since H1 is used as reference.

d3YwROH.png
you are speculating way too much. I highly highly highly doubt vega is q2 2017. Kudari tweeted the major mile stone over 2 months ago. I highly doubt it takes them another year to bring it to production. It will probably hit near the end of the year in low availability most likely. We will start hearing all about it another month or two.

you are speculating way too much. I highly highly highly doubt vega is q2 2017. Kudari tweeted the major mile stone over 2 months ago. I highly doubt it takes them another year to bring it to production. It will probably hit near the end of the year in low availability most likely. We will start hearing all about it another month or two.

So Vega in 2016 despite AMD always says 2017? October as well right? ;)

Using H1 or H2 is a PR speak for Q2 and Q4. Try roll back in history with AMD, intel, Nvidia, Qualcomm, ARM, Samsung etc.

If it was Q1, specially early Q1. I can guarantee you AMD would write Q1.

N3EorGV.png

Zen comes in Q1 2017. And they have no problems writing that. The Zen APU however is more a Q4 2017 product as you see with H2. See the pattern? If Vega was Q1, they damn sure write Q1.

Well it took AMD 6 months for Polaris to ship out from the first showing of it (demo, didn't see the card or GPU) so from Tape out it might be longer. But having said that, Q1 is likely for Vega, I can't see them waiting longer then that. If it gets pushed back to Q2 that would be a major fail, right now its just a medium fail lol.

Last edited:
I would like to upgrade as I'm still rocking a 7970, but I'm in debt right now. So I'm making due with what I have. But when I'm finally back, the idea is to go Large Format 4K Freesync with a High End Vega Graphics Card.

I was looking at a GTX 1080 as it's almost 3 times the gaming performance of my card, but I want VRR on a large 4K screen and that doesn't exist on Team Green.

Well it took AMD 6 months for Polaris to ship out from the first showing of it (demo, didn't see the card or GPU) so from Tape out it might be longer. But having said that, Q1 is likely for Vega, I can't see them waiting longer then that. If it gets pushed back to Q2 that would be a major fail, right now its just a medium fail lol.

Well it better crush Volta then.

If you're antsy now just buy a damn Nvidia card. Yes you might not care for some of their business practices, but I also don't care for AMD's practice of dropping the ball for so long on CPU's and now GPU's. This is coming from a guy who's CPU progression was K6-2, K6-3, Athlon, AthlonXP, and Athlon64, then seeing the writing was on the wall and getting an i7 920.

You can always sell the Nvidia card and get Vega when it launches.

I simply could not wait for them to get a high end GPU out. Its not my problem if they cannot get one out, but it is my problem when I cant hit the frames I want in the games I play. I have respect for both companies and I have issues with both but no matter what I go where the performance is.

Back