Waiting for VEGA. Am I alone?

I am more interested in AMD's cooling solution that they will have to conjure up to cool the beast and not throttle...and be robust.

I am more interested in AMD's cooling solution that they will have to conjure up to cool the beast and not throttle...and be robust.

If it's 225W on 400mm^2 they should be fine provided they don't have to maintain stupidly low operating temps for whatever clock they're aiming for

If it's 225W on 400mm^2 they should be fine provided they don't have to maintain stupidly low operating temps for whatever clock they're aiming for

We'll see. Higher power density because of the new node plus HBM adding to that density... I can only imagine HBM hurts thermal further.

Should be a bit tough to clock it to the edge like they like to and maintain proper temps.

Why? You think only Nvidia can do that? But I kinda agree with you as well :LOL:. I am just going by AMD's famous marketing slides and graph. Remember the 225w came from a rumor but still the numbers are derived by this graph, if you plug in 250w you would have 3x performance over Polaris :ROFLMAO:. Which would indeed be great but reality is to be seen how this plays out.

Vega other slide showing relative size of Vega over Polaris was Vega was huge! while Polaris well was kinda small -> What does that mean? Hint? Marketing B.S.? Your guess is as good as mine.

Well you still need to take mid line to mid line, why would you take anything other than that. Also best case that's x4 of 28 nm chips. Given AMD's propensity to BS I would still put it at x3 over 28 nm.

Just remember Raja and is BS about dual P10 vs 1080, perf/watt figures for the 480 came out to on 2x (best cast) 470 came out to 2.5 x (best case), on average those figures were more like 1.5 for the 480, and 2.0 for the 470. And then we had the crazy perf/watt numbers of 3.8 or what ever at the 480 launch lol. Yeah those are materialized.

Well you still need to take mid line to mid line, why would you take anything other than that. Also best case that's x4 of 28 nm chips. Given AMD's propensity to BS I would still put it at x3 over 28 nm.

Just remember Raja and is BS about dual P10 vs 1080, perf/watt figures for the 480 came out to on 2x (best cast) 470 came out to 2.5 x (best case), on average those figures were more like 1.5 for the 480, and 2.0 for the 470. And then we had the crazy perf/watt numbers of 3.8 or what ever at the 480 launch lol. Yeah those are materialized.
So here AMD gives out a perf/w chart and does not clarify what test is being done in what aspect (perf/w varies from game to game, even Fiji can give Maxwell a few beatings - very few that is). Then AMD does not indicate at what power (this I thought you would blow me away with) the chip is running at to achieve that perf/w ratio. Fiji at it's bleeding edge clock speed (FuryX) has way less perf/w then the Nano at a more efficient clock speed. Personally that chart is blowing smoke and I can see why Kyle hates to go to these events with slides that show a whole bunch of nothing.

That said, if Vega perf/w at the power it is going to be released is indeed represented by that smoke chart - hell yea - gpu celebrations galore. So really nothing new on how Vega will really perform. In the end if it does not do too good then that chart should be rammed where the sun does not . . .

Would you like another water cooled GPU card? Rather efficient and quiet except mounting the radiator can become a pain if you don't have a slot for it.

So here AMD gives out a perf/w chart and does not clarify what test is being done in what aspect (perf/w varies from game to game, even Fiji can give Maxwell a few beatings - very few that is). Then AMD does not indicate at what power (this I thought you would blow me away with) the chip is running at to achieve that perf/w ratio. Fiji at it's bleeding edge clock speed (FuryX) has way less perf/w then the Nano at a more efficient clock speed. Personally that chart is blowing smoke and I can see why Kyle hates to go to these events with slides that show a whole bunch of nothing.

That said, if Vega perf/w at the power it is going to be released is indeed represented by that smoke chart - hell yea - gpu celebrations galore. So really nothing new on how Vega will really perform. In the end if it does not do too good then that chart should be rammed where the sun does not . . .

Right, the only way that chart will come real, is if they did have Vega as the successor to Polaris but sped up its time line by 2 years, I don't see that happening as we would have seen an considerable increase in R&D over the past few quarters. All I can say is the savings is going to be do to HBM2 (which I know others are saying there wont be) but I still feal they will save 20 watts to 30 watts on that.

Last edited:
Would you like another water cooled GPU card? Rather efficient and quiet except mounting the radiator can become a pain if you don't have a slot for it.

I like AIOs, but something of that size would need at least a 240x120 if you wanted to OC... assuming OCing is possible.

I really wish they'd sell high end cards without a cooling solution. If they insist on blowers (Titan XP, 290x) it'd be nice if they offered a triple slot. I understand why they don't... idiot users buying blindly without checking for compatibility costs them money in the end.

Last edited:
I like AIOs, but something of that size would need at least a 240x120 if you wanted to OC... assuming OCing is possible.

I really wish they'd sell high end cards without a cooling solution. If they insist on blowers (Titan XP, 290x) it'd be nice if they offered a triple slot. I understand why they don't... idiot users buying blindly without checking for compatibility costs them money in the end.
Blower coolers work better for OEMs were they don't have to worry about smoking the cheapo case and lack of good cooling while charging a premium price. AMD issue is their cards just consume more power and thus produce more heat making blower coolers not as viable except the new Titan with 250w of power seems to pull it off just fine albeit not as quiet as some folks want. Not to mention previous Titans and Ti cards using big chips.

I hope AMD does have a AIO Vega 10 and a blower model but also allow AIB's to have more traditional cooling methods to give a better choice. I thought the cooling for the FuryX was rather awesome except it virtually locked that card from being used in OEM's while 980Ti's and Titan X's sold like hotcakes with the blowers to OEMs. Also with better performance that just made Nvidia sell them even better. So if AMD wants to sell to the OEMs, professional and retail PC's they will need to have blowers. I think AMD fell short on the cooling options that took them out of the OEM market on the high end last generation.

Back