wait so Vista comes with dx10 support but you still need dx9.0c?

eon

2[H]4U
Bioshock is complaining for a dx9. Just seems kind of odd that dx10 doesnt support previous versions. Is this correct?

DX9.0c is not actually just one version. There are many many versions of DX9.0c which get updated every few months or so. Essentially, new features get added to 9.0c which require additional or recompiled DX binaries. These, however, are not mandatory unless you need them for a specific application.

Yes, the system has both DX10 and DX9 librarires - DX10 is not backwards compatible as you say, so you need DX9 too to run older games.

Hooray for repeat questions! Directx is like the .Net framework, where you can have several versions installed at once.

ok thanks, I have another noob question and dont want to start another thread...
is Vista sp1 a single update or simply a series of updates? I dont see it listed in my update history and the Update checker says there are no more available updates

Service Packs are cumulative updates released over time when Microsoft deems it necessary to roll all the "current" updates into one release. Service Pack 1 for Vista contains all the Windows Updates that were released up until SP1 went RTM a few months ago, so when you install it, or you install an integrated Vista SP1 release, you'll find there aren't too many updates on Windows Update afterwards.

Whatever is there was released after SP1 was finalized. Since Service Packs are cumulative, they contain everything up to the time they're finalized.

I dont see it listed in my update history

I see it:
Windows Vista Service Pack 1 for x64-based Systems (KB936330)

Best thing to do is just to Start>winver.exe, or go to the Help>About box of any OS program like Notepad. If SP1 is installed, it should say:

Microsoft Windows
Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)

nope mine just says Version 6.0 (Build 6000)
Im using vista business 64 I got for free through my uni but I dont see how that should be a problem.

hmm I remember seeing some warning saying there was a problem with my Nvidia driver in slowing down the start up process
but for all my main drivers I thought I installed the newest one. Ill check into this when I get home, thanks.

Back