Wait for X38?

ruffz

Limp Gawd
I've been looking into upgrading my machine this fall/winter and I've decided I'm waiting for one of Intel's yorkfield processors (something preferably around $300, or equivalent in value to the e6600 when it came out). I also decided I'll be buying one of nvidia's G92 cards as well, and I've heard they're using PCI express 2.

My current motherboard (Asus P5W DH Deluxe) is rumored to not support yorkfields as well as PCI-ex 2. If nvidia's new cards use PCI-ex 2 and my motherboard doesn't support it, does that mean I can't use the card or maybe it'll just run at PCI-ex 1 speed?

I'm strongly considering picking up an X38 motherboard when they come out due to the fact that they'll support everything, is that worth it or is there something out now that'll be compatible with yorkfields and PCI-ex 2? My apologies if this question has been asked a lot.

I can't answer your specific questions (I don't think many boards out now support what you're looking for, but I'm not positive on that...if P35 doesn't, I don't think any do), but since you're waiting for components that aren't even out yet and we don't know a lot about them yet, if it were me, I'd definitely wait for a motherboard to come out around the same time. That way you're assured of support, and would upgrading just the mobo now really benefit you?

Just my two cents. I'm going to be building a new rig soon and have decided to wait on X38 as well.

yes
wait for X38 at this point.
the new nvidia cards will be backwards compatible with 1.0.
many more reasons to wait for x38

Most cards are not even taking advantage of pci-express 8x lanes, let alone the 16x max speed of PCI Express 1.1. PCI Express 2.0 will allow for 32x lanes, but we're realistically at least 2 - 3 years away from seeing cards that will take full advantage of PCI Express 2.0.

nVidia's G92 will be PCI Express 2.0 but all PCI Express 2.0 cards are backwards compatible with PCI Express 1.1. I think the main reason for PCI Express 2.0 enthusiasm is not because of the speed increase, but because it can supply twice the power - 150 watts, to video cards. This should hopefully eliminate the need to plug multiple power lines into modern video cards.

In short my recommendation: if you have a decent rig, hold out until X38. If you are building fresh or need a new machine, go with P35. You can always sell it in 6 - 8 weeks when X38 comes out.

i was in your position up untill 2 days ago and here is what i did... I want a x38,,, But im sick of waiting.. So what i did was get a gigabyte ds3r board for $160 at pclub near me... Used the e6600 i had. and now i have am enjoying my p35-oc'd to 3.2 with almost no effert... Now im going to enjoy this while i wait for the new x38s to come out(late sep early nov)--- and let them mature a month or two.. Along with waiting for ddr3 prices to come down and for nv to come out with the 9800.... then around jan or feb-- get all that stuff and sell this board for about half of what i paid for it... So i get to enjoy a nice new fast system for about 75 bucks out of pocket for 6months of use.. :)

there's always gonna be new stuff coming out. just buy now. sell your old stuff later. then buy the new stuff then! :) just make sure you have enough cash to do all that.

Today Intel set September 9th as the launch date for X38, so hold out for two more weeks and you'll start hearing what you need to know. But I expect we'll all be darn pleased with what we hear. ;)

My current motherboard (Asus P5W DH Deluxe) is rumored to not support yorkfields as well as PCI-ex 2. If nvidia's new cards use PCI-ex 2 and my motherboard doesn't support it, does that mean I can't use the card or maybe it'll just run at PCI-ex 1 speed?

it will be backwards compatible but current generation of pci-e 1.0 cards bearly take advantage of 8x speed while 1.0 supports up to 16x so you dont have to worry about the speed problem just yet for next one

I was in same position, so I ordered the cheapest thing I could..Abit ip35-e, not a bad board.. good enough to hold me over, for sure. If my p5b's socket pins weren't so out of whack, I wouldn't be in this damned situation :(

Josh

Today Intel set September 9th as the launch date for X38, so hold out for two more weeks and you'll start hearing what you need to know. But I expect we'll all be darn pleased with what we hear. ;)

are we going to be able to BUY a board on sept 9?
if we can I can hold out. I already bought Bioshock in anticipation of my new rig. the box is proudly displayed unopened on top of my TV. I have some of my parts but I'm waiting on the CPU (Q6600), Mobo(??? X38), and soundcard (Prelude)

oh and a commission cheque to pay for it all...

Im in the same situation as a lot of you guys. Wanting to build a new system in time for all the new games coming but now im thinking of waiting until the X38 boards. Does Nvidia have a new chipset coming out soon to rival the X38 ?

My parts that I have decided on are :

Q6600
Arctic Pro Cooler
4GB PC8500 Ram
8800GTX
Corsair 620W PS
Antec 900 case

I've read that Nvidia will be releasing their next Intel and AMD enthusiast chipsets alongside their graphics launch, in November. Whether it's true or not I cannot say.

Back