Wait for HDMI 2.1 TV or get Dell 34" now?

larciel

n00b
I've been away from PC stuff for a while and while shopping for a monitor, heard hdmi 2.1 TV will rock as PC monitor. I don't see any within 43" range.

Anyone else waiting for hdmi 2.1 TVs? Should I just get Dell 34" deal currently @ $380 AR ?

What will hdmi 2.1 give one anyways? More bandwidth for 160hz+??

2080ti.. grab a 1440 display. Wide screen go for it.

For a tv.. 1440 at 120hz would be a samsung 8 series 55" and above. Alot more then the price your quoting.

I don't do game. Just office work (excel, word, web)
1440 has too short vertical res. That's why I wanted to go full 4k with TV for cheap.

Just FYI...We have no idea when HDMI 2.1 comes out. People are hoping nvidia's new GPUs (around June) will have them but nvidia hasnt said anything about HDMI 2.1 at all so... yeah it could be a while. We just dont know when.

TVs are generally BGR subpixel so text quality tends to be worse than a PC monitor. I'm waiting for HDMI 2.1 TVs...for my living room.

I don't do game. Just office work (excel, word, web)
1440 has too short vertical res. That's why I wanted to go full 4k with TV for cheap.

As mentioned, HDMI 2.1 will do absolutely nothing for you if you don't game.

4K rules for productivity, but I'd stay away from any BGR panels as these will have inferior text reproduction. They work find for TV/video viewing, but are not optised for desktop work due to their flipped orientation. You want a good quality RGB IPS panel. There are some TV's which might be suitable I believe. Failing that, a dedicated 32" IPS 4K monitor would be the way to go,but you might find these rather costly.

As mentioned, HDMI 2.1 will do absolutely nothing for you if you don't game.

4K rules for productivity, but I'd stay away from any BGR panels as these will have inferior text reproduction. They work find for TV/video viewing, but are not optised for desktop work due to their flipped orientation. You want a good quality RGB IPS panel. There are some TV's which might be suitable I believe. Failing that, a dedicated 32" IPS 4K monitor would be the way to go,but you might find these rather costly.

BGR isn't an issue for text - ClearType supports it perfectly well. If text isn't displayed well on some BGR monitors like the PG43Q or CG437K, it's a specific problem with those monitors, not a BGR problem. There are plenty of BGR monitors and TVs that display text perfectly fine.

BGR isn't an issue for text - ClearType supports it perfectly well. If text isn't displayed well on some BGR monitors like the PG43Q or CG437K, it's a specific problem with those monitors, not a BGR problem. There are plenty of BGR monitors and TVs that display text perfectly fine.

Yes it is. RGB just does it better. Side by side, it's obvious on every BGR panel I've tried. Some BGR panels MIGHT not pose an issue, but it's still a terrible recommendation and something I would personally NEVER advise someone do as they could find themselves severely disappointed. Safer just to stay away from BGR altogether.

Yes it is. RGB just does it better. Side by side, it's obvious on every BGR panel I've tried. Some BGR panels MIGHT not pose an issue, but it's still a terrible recommendation and something I would personally NEVER advise someone do as they could find themselves severely disappointed. Safer just to stay away from BGR altogether.

Again, BGR is perfectly fine for text. There is absolutely no advantage to RGB vs BGR as long as the font rendering software (such as ClearType) supports BGR. Text is rendered perfectly on 43" BGR monitors such as the HP Z43. If there are problems with the PG43Q and CG437K, they have nothing to do with BGR.

Again, BGR is perfectly fine for text. There is absolutely no advantage to RGB vs BGR as long as the font rendering software (such as ClearType) supports BGR. Text is rendered perfectly on 43" BGR monitors such as the HP Z43. If there are problems with the PG43Q and CG437K, they have nothing to do with BGR.

The problem is when you've got an BGR panel but Windows thinks it's RGB (or vice versa) and does the wrong sub-pixel rendering. There should be a way to correct that in setting somewhere; I know I've seen it in either XP or W7.

Your choices are cheap 34" or a 48CX for $$$$.
Even without 2.1 a 48CX will probably be a better experience for gaming and with right setup, text is fine for most on OLED.

Your choices are cheap 34" or a 48CX for $$$$.
Even without 2.1 a 48CX will probably be a better experience for gaming and with right setup, text is fine for most on OLED.
Burn-in doesn't concern me except for that setup. 8+ hours a day on a windows desktop is asking for it on OLEDs.

Burn-in doesn't concern me except for that setup. 8+ hours a day on a windows desktop is asking for it on OLEDs.

Even ignoring the burn-in, it doesn't make sense for 8+ hours a day on a Windows desktop... Text is problematic - fringes with ClearType. Also, the brightness keeps changing because of ASBL. An LG OLED isn't a good solution if you do a lot of desktop work. It's a better fit for playing games and watching videos.

RGB and BGR are the same thing - it's just a matter of the mounting orientation (top/bottom) of the panel within the monitor (in other words, it's a property of the monitor, not the panel). The panel is mounted in the BGR orientation in these monitors (Z43, 43UD79, P4317Q, etc.) Completely irrelevant to text quality as long as the font rendering software supports it and set to the correct orientation.

Last edited:
Keep in mind big monitor guy always says this in every thread and most other users don't find it an issue. Test it out for yourself.

This makes ZERO sense. Think about it. If BGR panels are shifting colours in certain ways, then RGB must be shifting them in the exact opposite direction. As others have already said, it's a MAPPING (software) issue.

This makes ZERO sense. Think about it. If BGR panels are shifting colours in certain ways, then RGB must be shifting them in the exact opposite direction. As others have already said, it's a MAPPING (software) issue.

Whether it makes sense or not, it's quite apparent that the majority of BGR panels are reported as having issues with text reproduction. I've experienced this myself on the 4-5 BGR monitors I've tried, and there are countless comments in numerous forums speaking of the same. It's somewhat immaterial if it's software or not, as it IS a problem regardless, and one that doesn't seem any closer to being resolved.

Whether it makes sense or not, it's quite apparent that the majority of BGR panels are reported as having issues with text reproduction. I've experienced this myself on the 4-5 BGR monitors I've tried, and there are countless comments in numerous forums speaking of the same. It's somewhat immaterial if it's software or not, as it IS a problem regardless, and one that doesn't seem any closer to being resolved.

It's hardly immaterial. If it's a software issue, then it can be easily corrected. You do realize there isn't much of difference. Unless I am missing something.

What monitors are you talking about? I've seen complaints about text on the PG43Q and CG437K, but not many other 43" BGR monitors like the ones I own. People just seem to assume that the problems they see with the PG43Q and CG437K are caused by the BGR orientation of the panel, but this makes zero sense in principle as well as in practice since other 43" BGR monitors and TVs show no such issues.

It's hardly immaterial. If it's a software issue, then it can be easily corrected. You do realize there isn't much of difference. Unless I am missing something.

Only the problem has existed for years and it hasn't been fixed. If it's that simple, why hasn't it been?

What monitors are you talking about? I've seen complaints about text on the PG43Q and CG437K, but not many other 43" BGR monitors like the ones I own. People just seem to assume that the problems they see with the PG43Q and CG437K are caused by the BGR orientation of the panel, but this makes zero sense in principle as well as in practice since other 43" BGR monitors and TVs show no such issues.

In addition to the Asus and Acer, the 43" Philips monitors (there are a couple), the LG 43UD79, another couple of Acer ones... I've tried them all, plus a few TV's. Your Z43 is actually the ONLY 43" BGR monitor I have not seen in person, but every single other one I've tried has very obviously worse text reproduction than the traditional RGB IPS and VA panels I've used. I am talking from actual experience here. I must have sat in front of at least 30+ monitors over the past few years. I actually don't believe anyone who says otherwise, because I've seen it with my own eyes... I just naturally assume now other people have inferior vision to me and I just see things they don't. It's a curse. That's not a boast... I ace eye tests and have never needed glasses for anything.

Only the problem has existed for years and it hasn't been fixed. If it's that simple, why hasn't it been?

In addition to the Asus and Acer, the 43" Philips monitors (there are a couple), the LG 43UD79, another couple of Acer ones... I've tried them all, plus a few TV's. Your Z43 is actually the ONLY 43" BGR monitor I have not seen in person, but every single other one I've tried has very obviously worse text reproduction than the traditional RGB IPS and VA panels I've used. I am talking from actual experience here. I must have sat in front of at least 30+ monitors over the past few years. I actually don't believe anyone who says otherwise, because I've seen it with my own eyes... I just naturally assume now other people have inferior vision to me and I just see things they don't. It's a curse. That's not a boast... I ace eye tests and have never needed glasses for anything.

Did you set ClearType to BGR? You need to click on the right block of text in the first tuning screen.

Also, what's the PPI on the RGB monitors that you are comparing to? If higher than on the 43" monitors you are talking about, then text will look better, but because of the PPI, not RGB/BGR.

Did you set ClearType to BGR? You need to click on the right block of text in the first tuning screen.

Also, what's the PPI on the RGB monitors that you are comparing to? If higher than on the 43" monitors you are talking about, then text will look better, but because of the PPI, not RGB/BGR.

Yes I have spent much time tinkering with ClearType settings.

I have always been at 32" 4K, so yes, superior PPI vs 43", but I have adjusted for that with seating distance. The difference I see is more significant than this would explain. I think it will mostly come down to the panels in question. Even with reguilar RGB panels, IPS and VA, I have seen HUGE variation in performance and the quality of what I see. I think because my vision is so acute, I am simply more sensitive to these things.

LG CX 48 all day. The C7 was a very good monitor, the CX fixes everything that bothers me. Wish I could get a 40 inch but I'll buy a 48.

Back