Wait for Crucial C400 or buy a C300?

Vertex 3 is faster so C400 should be cheaper.

They said the 240gb Vertex 3 would be about $500. The C400 can be had now for $459. Plus if you go back and look at failure rates between Intel, Crucial, and OCZ this may change your mind also.

I just don't know what to think.

Tweaktown's c400 does 450MB/s sustained read and Tom's gets 391MB/s.

I'm officially totally confused about the Crucial drives. :)

That makes two of us. I dont know what to buy. Not a big deal since I went sandy im broke anyways lol.

I was all set on a C400 a few weeks back, but now I'm thinking waiting for an SF-2000 based SSD (that isn't OCZ) is the best bet... any ideas when the Corsair Force GT is coming out?

Tom's hardware reviewers are sometimes quite clueless. From the review linked above:

It might surprise you, but Crucial's Marvell-based drives don't have any over-provisioning.

That reviewer does not know what he is talking about. The 256GB Crucial drives have 256GiB of flash memory, but only 256GB of available capacity. That comes to (1024)^3 / 1000^3 = 1.0737 or 7.37% overprovisioning.

As for the read speed decrease on the m4 when full, that does look worrisome, but this review does a poor job of studying it. HD Tach is one of the worst benchmarks to use on SSDs. It would have been better if they included some other benchmarks comparing full and empty performance. Also, it would be good to know if it is, say 90% full, how much of a drop off there is.

If that read speed when full drop-off occurs in normal usage (i.e., outside of HD Tach), then it is clearly a bug -- there is no way that is intended/design performance. It will be interesting to see if Micron has anything to say about it and/or fixes it with a firmware update.

I see that tweaktown is also finding a performance drop-off when the m4 is 25%, 50%, or 75% full:

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/3...iew_and_next_gen_2x0_gb_shootout/index10.html

This looks to me like a bug in the m4 firmware in these pre-release m4s. I would certainly hold off on buying an m4 until the reviews of the retail m4s come out, to see if Micron has fixed the firmware.

Last edited:
The performance of the C400 when full isn't promising...
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-ssd-320-crucial-m4-realssd-c400,2908-4.html

I think I'd prefer to give up the 3.4% of space for Over-Provisioning like the Intel 510.

Couldn't you do this manually by partitioning 3.4% smaller? If that works then technically micron is letting you choose your amount of partitioning? (I assume the controller can still map to unpartitioned space - after all the latter should be a higher level construct than the controller is working at?)

Couldn't you do this manually by partitioning 3.4% smaller? If that works then technically micron is letting you choose your amount of partitioning? (I assume the controller can still map to unpartitioned space - after all the latter should be a higher level construct than the controller is working at?)

I'm doubtful the controller is that smart.

Couldn't you do this manually by partitioning 3.4% smaller?

If it's true that manually leaving a partition unformatted adds to overprovisioning it is.

And from what I've read it's true.

I partitoned 20% on my Intels in RAID0 and it seemed to work just fine.

As for the read speed decrease on the m4 when full, that does look worrisome,

Yes the Vertex3 does a little better but the Crucial recovers quicker.....a little ying, a little yang. :)

I've never used an SSD over 25% full and that chart sucks.

Got my 256GB C400 today.

Here is my 80GB X25M G2 RAID 0 compared to my C400 in the same PC.
The X25M has windows on it and the C400 is completely empty.

oldvsnewssd.png

Got my 256GB C400 today.

Here is my 80GB X25M G2 RAID 0 compared to my C400 in the same PC.
The X25M has windows on it and the C400 is completely empty.

damn dude, that one disk is that much faster than twin intels in raid? sweet. why wont microcenter get all the Gen 3 in stock!!

It's fairly well known that SSD's decrease in performance the less room they have to work with GC and TRIM.

This is true, however, it depends on the SSD - some are worse than others.

This is true, however, it depends on the SSD - some are worse than others.

True but then you should have said something to the effect that it's interesting that this one seems to slow down more than others when it gets full :p

True but then you should have said something to the effect that it's interesting that this one seems to slow down more than others when it gets full :p

Is anyone else concerned at the speed decrease experienced by the C400/m4?

Is anyone else concerned at the speed decrease experienced by the C400/m4?

I'm not cause I'm not buying one.:D

However, anyone considering these newer drives should ask themselves...

"Does this decrease and corresponding increase in some of the drives' stats create a better desktop performance for me".

The decrease in some performance aspects may make little difference in the actual desktop experience.

All depends on what you're trying to do with your storage. Surf the web? Word docs? No, pretty much ANY SSD is going to feel the same. As soon as the heavy multitasking starts, that's where they start to seperate from each other.

Well after all the reviews the Vertex 3 sure is looking good. I may have to wait for G.Skill's version of it to come out.

Well after all the reviews the Vertex 3 sure is looking good. I may have to wait for G.Skill's version of it to come out.

+9.. i dont give a crap about the OCZ bad reviews and haters.. speed is speed. not like i keep a drive more than a couple years anyway.. the Vertex 3 is about top of the pack for me right now..

Well NewEgg had the C300 128GB'ers for $199 yesterday via a coupon in their email blast. That's a damn good price for a damn good SSD. And........ they sold out yesterday as well...
I was gonna grab me one or two to test out.

Well NewEgg had the C300 128GB'ers for $199 yesterday via a coupon in their email blast. That's a damn good price for a damn good SSD. And........ they sold out yesterday as well...

ya, i considered it... but i want something current.

+9.. i dont give a crap about the OCZ bad reviews and haters.. speed is speed. not like i keep a drive more than a couple years anyway.. the Vertex 3 is about top of the pack for me right now..

After a couple bad experiences I can't help but be a hater. It's easy say you don't care when you haven't had a bad experience with them. Looking at the failure rates for all the brands OCZ doesn't look as dependable. Not saying I wont pick one up if it ends up being the best out there in terms of performance. I will just hate my self :D

Damn.. that was a good deal.. I would have jumped on that one.

After a couple bad experiences I can't help but be a hater. It's easy say you don't care when you haven't had a bad experience with them. Looking at the failure rates for all the brands OCZ doesn't look as dependable. Not saying I wont pick one up if it ends up being the best out there in terms of performance. I will just hate my self :D

hey i got one of the OCZ 120GB disks with less space than it should have had. didnt bother me.. in fact, its in my machine right now.

hey i got one of the OCZ 120GB disks with less space than it should have had. didnt bother me.. in fact, its in my machine right now.

I'm sure OCZ would give it's left nut to have all it's customers mimic your attitude. :)

Are there any websites other than SuperBiiz that has the C400s listed?
It's been over a week and they are still out of stock. :(

I just order a 128GB C300 from newegg earlier @ $199 seems like they got a good amount of stock in today.

Back