Wait for Crucial C400 or buy a C300?

I think the C400 isn't a compelling enough upgrade for existing C300 owners. I was set to sell my 4 x C300 64GB's but then I saw the C400 benches and took the auction down :) The C400 isn't the quantum leap forward everyone had imagined, relative to the C300 anyway - because the C300 had already raised the bar higher than all the other Gen2 drives at least in read performance. Everyone else has had to play catch up for their gen3 offerings which is why they now seem like they've got "so much more performance" - its true mostly just relative to their previous gen.

Two 64GB C300's in Intel RAID0/SATA600 on my X9SCM/C204 smokes, TRIM seems to be enabled, and this Win2K8R2 server running 8 x HyperV VM's is pretty much "totally instant" in any disk operations.

Last edited:
I've just gone from 2x80gb X25-M's in RAID 0 to a single 120gb Intel 510 and the new drive seems slightly faster in real world use. Nice not having the RAID business on boot also.

The Intel 510 is great. If I had to start over my choices would be Intel 510, Crucial C400, or waiting out an SF-2200 offering from a company other than OCZ.

I think the C400 isn't a compelling enough upgrade for existing C300 owners. I was set to sell my 4 x C300 64GB's but then I saw the C400 benches and took the auction down :) The C400 isn't the quantum leap forward everyone had imagined, relative to the C300 anyway - because the C300 had already raised the bar higher than all the other Gen2 drives at least in read performance. Everyone else has had to play catch up for their gen3 offerings which is why they now seem like they've got "so much more performance" - its true mostly just relative to their previous gen.

Two 64GB C300's in Intel RAID0/SATA600 on my X9SCM/C204 smokes, TRIM seems to be enabled, and this Win2K8R2 server running 8 x HyperV VM's is pretty much "totally instant" in any disk operations.

TRIM may be enabled but it is probably not working on the RAID.

Yeah I took it with a grain of salt -- luckily the C300 has decent garbage collection. At least it appears to work, given the previous configuration of the drives was an Areca RAID0 volume about 95% full. No secure erase between migrating from Areca to Intel RAID, and various benches for read and write were mostly a straight line after allowing the new array to idle overnight at windows login. Of course TRIM is a whole separate discussion.

/DERAIL

Last edited:
Yep, no TRIM on RAID yet....
That's a nice array though odditory.
I'm still on gen I R0 Vertexes, so the jump makes sense for me. But yeah, if I was on C300's already I'd definitely be skipping this go-around.

Old Hippie, Ive spoken with you a few times on here and know you have ran many setups and helped others as well. With a SATA II setup like mine.. would you run RAID 0 128gb drives or a single 256gb? I value your input!

Double 128GB is definitely faster.

Some of these reviews almost make me want to jump on the intel drive.

I'm waiting for the Vertex 3 240GB myself. That looks like the new king of consumer SSD performance. And at $499 that's not too bad a value. Then I will pair that with Ivy Bridge and whatever the new chip to go with that chipset is. Now that will be hot! ^_^

I'm waiting for the Vertex 3 240GB myself. That looks like the new king of consumer SSD performance. And at $499 that's not too bad a value. Then I will pair that with Ivy Bridge and whatever the new chip to go with that chipset is. Now that will be hot! ^_^

Prices were raised on the V3's - new prices are $279 for the 120 & $539 for the 240. That's a lot of clams. I was going to do 2 240's, but for $1,100+ shipping for only two SSDs (assuming no price gouging, which there will be) I have to smack myself back to reality and go for the 2 120's - and take a slight hit on sequential write performance.

I still have a problem with OCZ so I won't use them. I wonder how the sandforce ill hold up in real world use.. wasn't that a problem with the last gen? C400 2x128gb is looking like the option I will go with. Now who the hell has them in stock?

I still have a problem with OCZ so I won't use them. I wonder how the sandforce ill hold up in real world use.. wasn't that a problem with the last gen?

There will be other vendors selling Sandforce drives with performance similar to the Vertex 3 -- such as G.Skill, Corsair, and Patriot. So if you like the Sandforce 2XXX controller, you have other options than shady OCZ.

The Vertex 3 still has the same flaw common to Sandforce 1XXX SSDs where the write speed, particularly sequential write for incompressible data, will drop for up to a week after heavy usage. However, while the Sandforce 1XXX drives would drop to well under 100 MB/s sequential write, the 240GB Vertex 3 drops to low 200 MB/s speeds. So while the flaw is still there, it is less severe.

The throttling can also be minimized by underprovisioning when you set up your partition(s). The more free area the SF controllers have to work with, the less the throttling comes into play. With my typical usage and underprovisioning plans, I'll never see the throttling. It takes tens of gigs of constant writes to induce the throttling. 2 back to back runs of CDM will induce throttling as CDM can write up to 80GB in some cases...

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the C300 128GB. I had the C400 on hold at Superbiz, but cancelled after the seeing the benchmarks. While the C400 wins the sequential benchmark, it seems the C300 is overall better IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, but the real world type benchmarks hold the most sway to me since in the end it's the user's perception of speed that matters. I also want stability, and the C300 appears to have that worked out. Finally, the cost is a bit lower too. If Asus ever gets my replacement P8P67 back, I'll get to building my first SSD-based computer. I hope I don't regret it...

The throttling can also be minimized by underprovisioning when you set up your partition(s). The more free area the SF controllers have to work with, the less the throttling comes into play. With my typical usage and underprovisioning plans, I'll never see the throttling. It takes tens of gigs of constant writes to induce the throttling. 2 back to back runs of CDM will induce throttling as CDM can write up to 80GB in some cases...

Any benchmarks/data to back this up? (Not attacking you, I would be interested in one of the review sites investigating this more directly) - the throttling issue on sandforce controllers may be a non issue, but to make that determination I think we need more information about the relationship of data churn to throttling (linear, threshold, how much data, how much throttling, how long to recover (if it ever does), etc.)

My superbiz C400 256GB Shipped today. I figure its worth it because the price is pretty good ($455 for 256GB). I paid $290 for the 120GB Intel 510, though it did come with a game.

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered the C300 128GB. I had the C400 on hold at Superbiz, but cancelled after the seeing the benchmarks. While the C400 wins the sequential benchmark, it seems the C300 is overall better IMO. Maybe I'm wrong, but the real world type benchmarks hold the most sway to me since in the end it's the user's perception of speed that matters. I also want stability, and the C300 appears to have that worked out. Finally, the cost is a bit lower too. If Asus ever gets my replacement P8P67 back, I'll get to building my first SSD-based computer. I hope I don't regret it...

I still have hope that later firmware will improve the C400's performance. The C300 wasn't great right out of the gates if I recall correctly. I am really looking forward to storagereview's review of the C400. I was thinking RAID 0 but now I am thinking that I just want to keep it simple and grab the 256gb. I don't do anything crazy with my system but play games and surf the net. Some video encoding but nothing big.

EDIT: 256gb C400 ordered. I will give this TRIM thing a try... eventually ill go Sandy or Ivy and have SATA III.

Last edited:
I couldn't stand it any longer and ordered another 256GB C300 for a RAID0 setup on my LSI 9240.

Should be a little screamer. :D

Hi guys, I am new here. Sorry for my bad english.

I too have dilemma about "Wait for Crucial C400 or buy a C300". In any case this will be my first SSD. I waited for C400 but first reviews don't look so good. Is there any other review except that one on SSD Review?

Maybe is better for me to go for C300 128 MB, but there is one problem and this is reason why I registered here, and I really hope that you will be able to help me. I am scared of all the stories about notorious 0006 firmware on C300 and freez-ups with it. I have found two posts on two forums that looks very interesting, here there are

I had C300 installed for a few months on my old P5Q motherboard with no issues, yet as soon as I put it on my new P8P67 Pro motherboard I have severe stutters in browsing and games.

On Crucial forum in thread C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7 solved I found something similar (second post of Zoork):

I have forgot to say, that this issue with the freeze-ups only happened when i connected the C300 to the SATA 6G-Port on Intel P67. When i connect it to 3G-Ports or use the Marvel 6G or use the ICH10R on my second X58 i dont have problems with this kind of freeze-up

Does that mean that this problem is chipset dependent?!? If that is the case then this is very important conclusion. I have Asus P5Q Pro motherboard (Sata 2, P45 + ICH10R), that is practicaly the same motherboard as mentioned P5Q, the same chipset.

So my question to you all is this: does this means, for sure, that I would have no problems with C300 and his notorious 0006 firmware? Is it safe for my to buy C300?

I asked the same question on Crucial forum but still no answers.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I am in the market for a 240-256GB SSD.
Is there any consensus on what is the best course of action right now?
I can probably wait another month or so if needed.

does this means, for sure, that I would have no problems with C300 and his notorious 0006 firmware?

Nothing can be 100% except death but your MB has the same chipset and should react the same way as the P8P67 Pro.

Like most, I've had no problem with the 0006 firmware.

Well I killed my order and I am moving over to Sandy Bridge. I will get a new SSD after I see some more reviews...

Hmm. So I've been holding off in hopes that the new drives would be super cool. I'm currently running an old plate spinner. What should I buy at this point? C300, C400, or a 510. I want the best overall drive for mild gaming and general use. I really just want he best SSD value at this time. Not the bleeding edge. Thanks.

Last edited:
C300 is the cheapest and easiest to find. C400/M4 is a good value, but its hard to find. Intel 510 is probably the worst in terms of value, but it is widely available.

Intel 510 120GB is ~$290, 250GB is ~$$615
C400 128GB is ~$240, 256GB ~$450

your MB has the same chipset and should react the same way as the P8P67 Pro.
What do you mean by that? P8P67 has P67 chipset and my P5Q Pro has P45 chipset. It is not the same. And that is the point, in quotes that I have posted they say that C300 worked OK on older motherboard with ICH10R but not so good with P8P67 Pro (SATA 6G-Port on Intel P67). I know that nothing is 100% (even death ;)) but higher chances for usage without problems is OK too.

I'm glad that you have no problems with C300. What motherboard you have?

What do you mean by that? P8P67 has P67 chipset and my P5Q Pro has P45 chipset.
Woops....screwed that up! :eek:

C300 worked OK on older motherboard with ICH10R but not so good with P8P67 Pro (SATA 6G-Port on Intel P67).
The post you linked shows a problem Intel's Rapid Storage Drivers and how to get around it.

His "fix" is actually described in an Intel RST manual which I found on Google.

The manual can be found here. It's the 3rd post down.

Seems like it worked for everyone in that thread.

I have an Asus P6T but use an SATA6 expansion card for my SSDs.

microcenter has the C300 for $249.. isnt that a real high price compared to what i am seeing here??

Crucial
RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $249

microcenter has the C300 for $249.. isnt that a real high price compared to what i am seeing here??

Crucial
RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) $249

It's a little high but keep in mind that's a local retailer. To bad Fry's doesn't carry them. They match online prices.

Crucial

I saw them for 200.00 this morning but they're sold out.

Looks like they still have them for $230.00.

hmm i didnt see that price on their website, i guess it changes a lot.

i just gave up for now and put my 120gb ocz vertex 2 back in. its one of those duds that doesnt have the proper amount of space, but im not about to bother RMA'in it to be without it for weeks. Missing 2-3gb doesnt bother me. And its WAY faster than my Raptor 300gb which i been using the last few days, and i miss the SSD speed.

Coupon code: MAD15

This gives you $15 off of the C300 on there. I'm about to pull the trigger on a bundle of the C300 with a Spinpoint F3 1TB for $251 shipped. I'll take a good 1TB storage drive for an additional $35.

Hi guys, I am new here. Sorry for my bad english.

I too have dilemma about "Wait for Crucial C400 or buy a C300". In any case this will be my first SSD. I waited for C400 but first reviews don't look so good. Is there any other review except that one on SSD Review?

Maybe is better for me to go for C300 128 MB, but there is one problem and this is reason why I registered here, and I really hope that you will be able to help me. I am scared of all the stories about notorious 0006 firmware on C300 and freez-ups with it. I have found two posts on two forums that looks very interesting, here there are

On Crucial forum in thread C300 Disk Freeze-ups in Windows 7 solved I found something similar (second post of Zoork):

Does that mean that this problem is chipset dependent?!? If that is the case then this is very important conclusion. I have Asus P5Q Pro motherboard (Sata 2, P45 + ICH10R), that is practicaly the same motherboard as mentioned P5Q, the same chipset.

So my question to you all is this: does this means, for sure, that I would have no problems with C300 and his notorious 0006 firmware? Is it safe for my to buy C300?

I asked the same question on Crucial forum but still no answers.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

I can speak from experience. I have an Asus P8P67 Pro (B3 rev) motherboard with 1305 BIOS, 16GB Corsair ram and a Crucial C300 128GB (FW 0006) on the 6GB SATA ports on the ICH10R.

Not one issue with freeze ups, stuttering, farting, belching.....;) Not one thing.

Sheesh, I'm very tempted to pick up a couple of the 128gb C300s and skip the Vertex 3s....

All good information but a lot of it boils down to the prices, which do not appear to be confirmed yet.

Back