Wait - do x570 motherboards require a Ryzen 3xxx CPU to run the PCI-E 4.0 NVME?

Archaea

[H]F Junkie
I bought some gear today, a 2700x, and a 1TB PCI-E 4.0 NVME, and was close to pulling the trigger on an Asus Tuf x570 board, but I happened across a video review where it was noted you'll only get 3.0 PCI-E speeds on the Tuf board NVME slots if you run a first or second gen Ryzen.

Is that the same for all Ryzen x570 boards.

If so, I hadn't considered the CPU controlled PCI-E 4.0 rather than the motherboard. I was planning to buy a 3xxx Ryzen chip down the road when they dropped in price and don't really want to buy one now.

Derp...derp.

derp derp is right apparently

I think I'm just going to cancel my plans to lateral right now from my 6850K and simply hold out till Ryzen 4xxx.

If I'm going to have the same speed drive I have now, and the same basic CPU performance in the 2700x for the year I have to wait, I might as well just wait with what I have.

The controller is on the cpu, not MB. The MB needs to have pcie switches/repeaters/etc to support pcie4, which x570 all do. You can get that gen4 drive. It just won't run at gen4 speeds till you get a Ryzen 3k chip.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
derp derp is right apparently

I think I'm just going to cancel my plans to lateral right now from my 6850K and simply hold out till Ryzen 4xxx.

If I'm going to have the same speed drive I have now, and the same basic CPU performance in the 2700x for the year I have to wait, I might as well just wait with what I have.

I don't think you'll notice anything vs even a sata 3 SSD lol. Except if you play crystalmark or some niche high bandwidth use case.
Just get a 3600x it's faster almost everywhere except where you can fully use 8 cores on a 2700x. 3600x will have higher resale also as it's current gen if you move to a 3900/3950x in near future.

Back