Wacom Intuos 5 Question

ComputerGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
I know someone on here had a Wacom Intuos 5. I am looking at buying a Wacom Intuos 5 and was wondering is it possible to turn touch off, 1. with a hotkey? 2. with a keyboard shortcut? Thanks!

I have the Wacom Intuos 5 with the wireless module.. typically I always leave it on or there is a hotspot on the tablet that you touch to power it down...

I just looked at the control panel/settings and did not mention being able to turn it off with a hotkey or keyboard shortcut.

So there is no way to disable touch other than through that program, hmm. I am trying to do something similar to a Laptop setup with the wacom Intuos 5 in front of a keyboard, and I want to selectively disable touch. Any Ideas?

How does it work when you unplug and reconnect? Does it need to reinstall drivers? Does it do the sound when a device is connected in windows?

I was thinking I might just be able to use a a transistor to cut the +5v usb power.

Why cant you just turn it off with the built in button... I think it's the top soft button when you hold it down it powers down the tablet...

He doesn't want to power down the entire tablet... I think he just wants to turn off the touch feature

disconnect the USB from the tablet.. and if you have wireless unplug the dongle :)

LOL I will give away part of the project I am working on, I am trying to build a really rugged upgrade-able field use laptop, for Video and Photo work and Editing. So what I wanted to do was use the Wacom 5 basically as an advanced version of the touchpad pointing device that is standard on pretty much all laptops. In addition to the touch I would be able to use the pen as well. However with the Keyboard in front of the Wacom things would be a Mess unless I could turn off the touch.

Darktiger, when you turn it off with the built in button, when you turn it back on how long does it take before you can use touch? Does it make the sound when a device is connected in windows?

What about when you unplug and reconnect? Does it need to reinstall drivers? Does it make the sound when a device is connected in windows this way as well?

Okay now that I am in front of my computer I can answer the questions better...

There is a soft button on the tablet that disables the touch feature.... it does not turn the device off. When you turn touch back on, it takes about 3 seconds for the tablet to became "active".

It does not make a beep or any kind of sound... but you have a display that comes up on your monitor that says touch is on/off, etc....

Last edited:
Thank you that is perfect just what I wanted to know.

Just a couple more questions bear with me here.

So the soft button only disables touch, so the pen still works, right?

I am assuming in the last sentence, you meant "It doesn't make a beep" right?

Finally do you see any other problems with my idea? Any comments that would relate?

Thanks!

Yes I just tried it... when touch is off, the pen still works...

That is correct it does NOT beep.

I do not really see any problems on what your trying to do... Let me know if you have any other questions or need to see pics or anything...

Thanks darktiger you have been amazingly helpful.

Final Question, does anyone have any photos of these disassembled and taken apart? I would like to get a look at the insides so i can see what I need to work with when it is apart.

Thanks!

I have not seen a teardown from the popular teardown sites.... I am not taking apart mine :)

I have not seen a teardown from the popular teardown sites.... I am not taking apart mine :)

Yeah me either, no I wouldn't want you to take yours apart, unless you have a hair brained scheme like me:p it would void the warranty anyway.

I believe there is an Intuos5 without the touch capability. Saves $50 or so off the price. I was recently in a similar situation but decided to go with a Huion H610 instead ($55 shipped). So far it's been pretty decent. There are some areas where it is better and some where it's slightly beaten by my Intuos3.

Yeah thanks but because I am looking to use it as a laptop type input device I would need the touch.

And if anyone find photos of one of these apart let me know!

No prob. I use mine on my notebook as well but don't care for the multitouch capability since Windows handles it pretty poorly anyway.

Back