Wacom in Surface Pro vs. the Thinkpad x230t

Discussion in 'Mobile Computing' started by Deinos, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Deinos

Deinos Gawd

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has used both the surface pro and x230t for any length of time to say which is the better experience, pros and cons of both, etc. I'd like a surface pro, but just don't know if it is enough computer for me. I really like the idea of super accurate pen activity. It seems that the x230t would be a good compromise, but not if the pen input is poor. I've heard mixed reviews on the pen input for the x230t, which is part of the reason for this thread.

Bonus question: Is the x230t 5 point multitouch or 10?

Thanks in advance.

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

The x230t only supports 2 touch points, that's why it doesn't ship officially with Windows 8 as the minimum number of touch points for 8 certification is 5.

3. Agenesis

Agenesis [H]ard|Gawd

A friend of mine owns a X220t and the digitizer is very inaccurate near the edges of the screen. While the 220 isn't exactly a 230, from a quick google it appears that some people are having the same issue with the 230.

I have found the Surface Pro to just as accurate around the edges as to the center of the screen, and no, this isn't the post purchase rationalization kicking in. The Surface Pro is just really accurate.

Be warned though, it's been more than a month since the release of the Surface Pro and there are still no wintab drivers that enable pressure sensitivity on programs that rely on the wintab api such as Photoshop. So if you're doing something that involves one of those programs you'll probably be better off getting the Thinkpad because you can get drivers directly from Wacom.

4. Alphonze

Alphonze Limp Gawd

I love using the pen with the Surface Pro, but in my experience when you get near the corners it begins to warp if you're holding the pen at an angle. I'd heard that recalibrating your pen in the settings remedies this from one source, but when I tried to do so I found that my pen was then slightly off from the point to where it was drawing, enough to bother me, and I tried many times, so I just set it back to default. I would definitely say that it is "enough" computer. I use it for work and I'm able to do most everything with it that I do with my desktop.

5. heatlesssun

heatlesssun [H]ard as it Gets

Inaccuracy around the edges is a common problem with Wacom digitizers in numerous Windows tablet designs. Sometimes calibration can help with the issue but it can take a little coaxing to get right.

6. Deinos

Deinos Gawd

Damn, that's too bad about the multitouch. Had seen many conflicting reports in forums, with most tending to lean towards it supporting 5 point multi. Considering trolling the Lenovo Outlet to see if I can snag a deal on the x230t. Anyone have any experience with the outlet (good or bad)? Also, what would be a decent price, in your opinion, on a refurb, vanilla, multitouch unit with the i5 3320?

7. Adidas4275

Adidas4275 [H]ardness Supreme

i have a i7 x230t with SSD and 16gb of ram and it run W8 very well! I really love it.

specifically for your question the digitizer on the x230t is accurate except around the edges due to the magnetic field as the screen puts off its own field that messes with it and most wacom digitizers.

I have only used the surface pro in store and it seems good.... but no pressure sensitivities as noted before.

the samsung series 7 slate with the "s pen" is one of the best i have seen