W98 Windows Networking Problem

SILENCER00

Gawd
Im having problems seeing other computers on the network. I have windows file and print sharing services installed on each computer, but when I open up the network neighborhood all I see is "entire network", and then I click on that it gives me an error "Unable to browse the network. The network is inaccessable." and some more junk. What sort of network components do I need to add to get this working, or what settings am I missing that need to be enabled/disabled etc.

(all the computer are windows 98 se boxes connected together via an 8 port linksys router. They can all access the internet - so the wiring is correct, but some software settings are not permitting the computers to see each other)
Thanks!

-sil

i haven't worked on 98 for a long time, but do you have netbeui installed? for some reason i'm thinking that on 98 it plays a role in computer to computer sharing.

Read the FAQ....

First make sure NetBUEI and TCP/IP is enables on your network cards and then make sure file and print sharing is on (may have to restart), then go into explorer and right click on the hard drive or folder you want to share and hit "Sharing" and then select your options for passwords/full access. You must have something shared on the computer for it to be seen in network neighborhood.

If that doesn't work, read the FAQ about netwroking two computers and look under Win98. Thats where I just came from.

I remember when I was at a LAN and I was using Win98 and most of the other people were using XP; I had the same problem. I think it's a problem with the way that 98 and XP see each other on a network, and the only way I fixed it was installing XP. There were like 20 people trying to figure it out, but they couldn't.

NetBEUI, while not a terrible idea on a small LAN, especially with name resolution problems, is not necessary. Sounds like your having browser wars. Disable the master browser function on all but one machine, then boot that rig up first, then the others in any order you want. Done from the file and printer sharing properties from the network applet in the control panel. File and printer sharing has to be installed of course and something has to be shared as mentioned. Also, make sure your using the microsoft client for networks as your login.

Back