W7 x64: After Virus Infection, SATA DVDRW Does Not Work

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by ZzBloopzZ, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ZzBloopzZ

ZzBloopzZ [H]ard|Gawd

Long story short, dad got a virus on his computer which is on W7 x64. I fully cleaned out everything using Symantec AV, MSE, SuperAntispyware, Malware Bytes and HiJackThis. Everything is smooth and fast now.

However, ever since the virus attack the SATA optical drive is not detected by Windows anymore. It's not even in device manager, just shows up as unknown device. It works fine if you boot up from CD or dual boot in with the other OS which is Windows Vista, so physically the drive is fine. I have tried updating the chipset drivers, uninstalled/reinstalled the SATA controller and optical drive. Also tried installing SP1.

Is there anything else I can try to get it to work without having to reformat? It will be a REAL PITA to reformat.

Thanks!

Edit: The error code I get for the optical drive in device manager is "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)"

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. awesomo

awesomo Gawd

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Delete upperfilters and lowerfilters

Restart the computer and cross your fingers.

3. ZzBloopzZ

ZzBloopzZ [H]ard|Gawd

Will give it a shot awesomo. Thanks!

4. ZzBloopzZ

ZzBloopzZ [H]ard|Gawd

THANK YOU THANK YOU. You are F#%#@ Awesomo!

Totally fixed the problem. It's been like that since xmas time haha! :c)

5. awesomo

awesomo Gawd

You're welcome. One of the weirder fixes I've come across, It took me over an hour to hunt down a while ago on a clients Windows Vista laptop. I know upper and lower filters entries have been there at leased since XP, but in XP they never caused the driver not to work...