W7 Upgrade Only...Ways to get past?

King Icewind

Supreme [H]ardness
I received an email about W7 Pro 64bit for $50, and I got all excited (still using RC), until I found out that it was Upgrade only. I do not have Vista, or any other OS for my computer except the RC. I remember reading somewhere that there are ways past the "Upgrade." I'm not sure about this however, so some verification/tutorials on this would be great!

Hopefully I'm not breaking any rules by posting this. Sorry if I am...:eek:

Thanks in advance!

Just so you know, Microsoft doesn't approve of the workaround and it's probably not quite legal.

I wouldn't discuss it here, but 10 to 20 seconds with Google will have your answer.

Ah well, the RC will only last me so long! :D

I don't think there is any way to check whether or not my version was an upgrade anyways...?

The RCs weren't upgrades at all. Like I said, if you want to use the Upgrade to do a clean install, you'll find many links on Google explaining how to do that. I just wouldn't discuss it here.

You can also check www.sevenforums.com.

I have a legit copy of vista and got an upgrade copy of Windows 7.

Just for kicks i tried installing from scratch with the update disk after a format. Went in no problem and activated right away. (Perhaps MS knew from my hardware spec, or what ever they check that i already have a Windows vista copy assosiated with my computer)

quick question: what do you actually get with the upgrade copy? just a disc?

i have a retail copy of vista ultimate, and was wondering how it actually worked since its $100 cheaper and according to what i've read (and misterskills) you can do a clean install

You get a disc and a key, just like the full version. The only difference is, the upgrade technically needs a qualifying OS installed and activated before you proceed. You can do a clean install with the upgrade, provided you don't epext any support with it and you don't mind violating the EULA.

Back