W10 Spring Creators Update- April 10th

polonyc2

Fully [H]
The public release of the Windows 10 Spring Creators Update appears to be imminent, with Windows Central reporting an initial rollout date of April 10...sources say that Microsoft has signed off on the final Windows Insider Preview build of Redstone 4 as Build 17133...this means that Build 17133 will, barring any issues, be what Microsoft releases to manufacturers (RTM) for loading onto new products

the Spring Creators Update is expected to bring with it a host of major changes to the operating system, including the Timeline feature that was originally slated for last year’s Fall Creators Update as well as the Fluent Design look applied to the entire interface...here's a list of all the expected changes...

https://www.howtogeek.com/340688/whats-coming-in-windows-10s-redstone-4-update-available-march-2018/

lots of interesting features/improvements this time around...I'm most interested in Fluent Design, DPI improvements and Edge updates

Reactions: djoye
like this
I'm curious how the HDR calibration is going to work. As of right now HDR works absolutely fine in games and apps like Netflix or PowerDVD. It just looks completely broken on the desktop. Hopefully making adjustments to the desktop implementation doesn't break how it looks/works in those programs.

Oh yay, it's that time of the year again to have to:

1. Download the new ISO.
2. Burn install DVD of said ISO. [for those crabby machines that won't boot off the USB flash drive]
3. Re-create my USB flash drives with said ISO. [one for non-UEFI and one for UEFI]
4. Cross my fingers and toes when updating my boxes.

:arghh:

what does "Microsoft is expanding HDR video support to more devices" mean?...either the display is HDR capable or it isn't right?...

what does "Microsoft is expanding HDR video support to more devices" mean?...either the display is HDR capable or it isn't right?...

My guess is that it probably means "correctly" support. On lots of TV's and monitors the desktop version of HDR is flat-out busted. Totally washed out colors, messed up contrast, low brightness, etc.
Individual apps and games that display full-screen work fine, but anything using the desktop implementation (like the Netflix UWP app) looks horrible until actual HDR content is displayed.
Someone on the Nvidia forums mentioned that it has to do with the HDR color scheme MS chose to use and it only displays correctly with a very specific kind of monitor.
Just a guess, though.

My guess is that it probably means "correctly" support. On lots of TV's and monitors the desktop version of HDR is flat-out busted. Totally washed out colors, messed up contrast, low brightness, etc.
Individual apps and games that display full-screen work fine, but anything using the desktop implementation (like the Netflix UWP app) looks horrible until actual HDR content is displayed.
Someone on the Nvidia forums mentioned that it has to do with the HDR color scheme MS chose to use and it only displays correctly with a very specific kind of monitor.
Just a guess, though.

HDR on Windows seems like a hassle...I have a separate LG OLED TV display with HDR/Dolby Vision support and it couldn't be easier to watch HDR content...TV automatically enables it when it detects an HDR signal...

HDR on Windows seems like a hassle...I have a separate LG OLED TV display with HDR/Dolby Vision support and it couldn't be easier to watch HDR content...TV automatically enables it when it detects an HDR signal...

Before Windows decided to officially support it that's exactly how it used to work. Now you have to have your windows display settings (Full/Limited RGB/Color Depth/etc.) set to their defaults or else it won't work. It won't give you an explanation why either. Your screen will flash like HDR is kicking in, and then it'll shut off immediately. It used to simply toggle them to the correct values automatically when an HDR signal was active. Nvidia straight up said MS is to blame. If you use pre-Creators Update drivers it'll work no matter what your settings are.
With Netflix, you have to go even further and enable the borked desktop implementation on top of it. Old Nvidia drivers won't work for Netflix since they don't support UWP and HDR.
It isn't THAT much trouble, but it's something MS essentially broke that used to work fine. It also took me months to figure all of these stupid nuances out. I'm hoping this will mostly take it back to how it used to be.

Not a bad update. I’m glad they are finally getting rid of homegroup.
Did Homegroup do something to you? While I only tried using it sporadically, it did work, kinda. I won't personally miss it at all, but it never got in the way or anything. The YOU REALLY WANT TO SET UP YOUR PHONE WE GOT APPS FOR PHONES CLICK TO SET UP THE PHONE APP RIGHT HERE PHONE APP stuff bugs me, Homegroup never bugged me.

I backed up my system and updated it to the Spring update using the second method here: https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-the-windows-10-spring-creators-update-right-1824715285

The HDR functionality is just a brightness slider that only affects the desktop. The actual color scheme is still way off and there's no way to change any of that. It's still a toggle in an odd place within the settings menu.
The settings menu looks a hair different and the Start menu does, too. It now has a pointless scroll bar on the right for some odd reason. The new Task View function seems like it could be helpful on occasion. I didn't notice much else other than the Homegroup removal. Windows still wants to kill off your thumbnail cache after 48 hours, so I still have to RegEdit that "feature" away.

I'll wait the typical 4 weeks after release before reformatting using the new iso...meaning after the May Windows Update cycle I'll update...although the current Fall Creator's Update might have been the smoothest update yet

I swear at first glance I thought the topic title was: "W10 Spying Creators Update"

It's been 2 days and I've had no issues thus far. The first Creators Update was a dumpster fire on my system. The last one didn't really affect much. This one is similar.
The biggest change I see in this update is to the Settings menu. It's way more fleshed out and polished. Who knows, maybe they're finally getting closer to merging it with the classic control panel.

Not a bad update. I’m glad they are finally getting rid of homegroup.

Just hope this means there'll be an easier, one-stop-shop in network configuration.

Because, right now, having to dick around with the homegroup settings (not necessarily setting up a Homegroup), is just a belt sander to the balls.

But if they expect people to forego file shares and application sharing across a non-server network? They can get fucked.

Installed 1803 on my sig rig and Surface Book 2 15" from the Slow Ring last. My user profile on the SB2 got hosed, thought I had that fixed but the problem came back. Probably will just do a fresh install when the official image drops. So far the sig rig has been fine.

Screen Clips Coming to Windows 10

As part of its continued shell modernization efforts, Microsoft is working on a new way to take clips of the screen in Windows 10...In Redstone 5 (build 17639), creating a screen clip starts with clicking a Quick Action in Action Center...the screen then dims, and a static view of all displays is shown with an overlay of buttons at the top of the primary display...it appears this new clipping experience will replace the old Win32 and GDI-based Snipping Tool and take over the Win + Shift + S shortcut...

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/155917/screen-clips-coming-windows-10

Screen Clips Coming to Windows 10

As part of its continued shell modernization efforts, Microsoft is working on a new way to take clips of the screen in Windows 10...In Redstone 5 (build 17639), creating a screen clip starts with clicking a Quick Action in Action Center...the screen then dims, and a static view of all displays is shown with an overlay of buttons at the top of the primary display...it appears this new clipping experience will replace the old Win32 and GDI-based Snipping Tool and take over the Win + Shift + S shortcut...

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/155917/screen-clips-coming-windows-10

And let me guess, every screen capture is uploaded and metatagged to the Microsoft Cloud for security and safekeeping.

Big fat no thanks. Snipping tool or PrtScrn work fine.

And let me guess, every screen capture is uploaded and metatagged to the Microsoft Cloud for security and safekeeping.

Big fat no thanks. Snipping tool or PrtScrn work fine.

This isn't the Cloud clipboard stuff.

I'm curious how the HDR calibration is going to work. As of right now HDR works absolutely fine in games and apps like Netflix or PowerDVD. It just looks completely broken on the desktop. Hopefully making adjustments to the desktop implementation doesn't break how it looks/works in those programs.

Beeing a bit interested in HDR yesterday I came accross this and I'm less interested now

Beeing a bit interested in HDR yesterday I came accross this and I'm less interested now

I never had the first problem. The second problem happens to me. It's definitely not 100 percent ready but on some games I really enjoy it. Basically - it can be buggy, whether it's windows or the drivers I have no idea.

I found it works better if you don't alt tab or steam overlay enabled in steam games. I never get the hdr color profile in windows unless I force it.

Doesn't change what I said. The entire Windows 10 OS is now a cloud clipboard.

Sounds more to me like an attempt to add simple screen capturing to touch devices, not surprising considering Windows 10. Just give me a desktop OS gawddamnit!

Oh yay, it's that time of the year again to have to:

1. Download the new ISO.
2. Burn install DVD of said ISO. [for those crabby machines that won't boot off the USB flash drive]
3. Re-create my USB flash drives with said ISO. [one for non-UEFI and one for UEFI]
4. Cross my fingers and toes when updating my boxes.

:arghh:

Why do you have to go through all that?

I can't help but thinking of the old proverb when watching all you guys reformatting and reloading win10: You can't polish a turd.

Then mythbusters busted that. You can actually polish a turd - but its just a shiny turd.

For me Windows 10 has been pretty problem free. The last time I used it (about a week ago) I was able to launch and play a game with it.

Keep Windows for only the tasks you must use it and your life becomes so much easier.

I'm on a television that just happens to already have it. In practice, I don't think it's that big of a feature. Whenever most people talk about the massive differences HDR can have, they're talking about slow-motion demo reel style videos that most TV's come with. Funny secret - most of those aren't actually running in HDR mode. They're definitely 4K, but at least the Samsung and Sony ones are just normal 4K videos with the saturation cranked and no film grain. In practice, the main differences come from isolated light sources. Torches, flashlights, sun lens flares, bonfires, etc. They're brighter in contrast with the rest of the picture. With most content, it's a whole lot of calibrating for minimal gains.

I'm on a television that just happens to already have it. In practice, I don't think it's that big of a feature. Whenever most people talk about the massive differences HDR can have, they're talking about slow-motion demo reel style videos that most TV's come with. Funny secret - most of those aren't actually running in HDR mode. They're definitely 4K, but at least the Samsung and Sony ones are just normal 4K videos with the saturation cranked and no film grain. In practice, the main differences come from isolated light sources. Torches, flashlights, sun lens flares, bonfires, etc. They're brighter in contrast with the rest of the picture. With most content, it's a whole lot of calibrating for minimal gains.

I believe proper calibration with a Spyder or similar would be more beneficial to PQ than HDR, I tend to agree that HDR isn't what it's all cracked up to be and usually introduces more issues than it resolves in the case of Windows 10 and the CU.

I believe proper calibration with a Spyder or similar would be more beneficial to PQ than HDR, I tend to agree that HDR isn't what it's all cracked up to be and usually introduces more issues than it resolves in the case of Windows 10 and the CU.

I think it's mostly a gimmick. Maybe it's some kind of magical game changer on those $10K sets, but I'm not sold on its value for normally priced televisions. A lot of people aren't using a unique calibration for HDR content, too. Again, maybe that isn't needed for high end sets, but on normal Samsung and Sony models it's absolutely needed. Those are the two I have experience with on a regular basis and they're awfully similar. They either look washed out or way oversaturated depending on what your normal settings are.

Yeah I've owned an HDR capable display for 2 years now and I've pretty much given up getting PC games to work on HDR properly.

Today is the real release of this update isn't it? Should be interesting to see if it causes headaches for anyone.

Anyone know if you can change the look and feel of the settings menu? I tried all sort of things, but the weird grey-ish blue on white for the menus seems to always be there.

Today is the real release of this update isn't it? Should be interesting to see if it causes headaches for anyone.

Anyone know if you can change the look and feel of the settings menu? I tried all sort of things, but the weird grey-ish blue on white for the menus seems to always be there.
They stalled on the release. They did a Cumulative Update for it today, for folks on Insider accounts.

As for Settings etc., the background is limited to light/dark modes, but the icons are tied to the accent color.

Interesting that they delayed it. The only issue I've had that I assume is related to the patch is related to HDR games. Every now and then I'll see a weird rainbow effect like part of the screen isn't displaying HDR correctly. It's rare and I don't 100% know if it's related to this patch or the latest Nvidia drivers that came out a week ago.

They stalled on the release. They did a Cumulative Update for it today, for folks on Insider accounts...

yup, according to several reports (including a tweet from Paul Thurrott), the Windows 10 version 1803 release has been temporarily delayed...

https://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-holds-releasing-windows-10-version-1803-public

Microsoft holds on releasing Windows 10 Version 1803 to the public
Microsoft has found a blocking bug that has temporarily postponed the planned release of Windows 10 Version 1803 to the public. Here's what we know.

A couple of weeks ago, I revealed that Microsoft had internally pegged April 10 as the release date of the next major version of Windows 10, known only as 'Version 1803' at this time. Just like with the Fall Creators Update, I had been told by contacts that Microsoft was planning to begin rolling out this new release on April's Patch Tuesday, but that's now come and gone and there's no sign of the update. So what has happened?

According to my sources, over the weekend Microsoft found a blocking bug that, while apparently rather rare, is impactful enough to hold the release until the issue is fixed. Microsoft has internal criteria that a build needs to pass before it goes out to the public, and that criteria is extra thorough when it comes to the production 'ring,' as you might expect. Thanks to feedback from Insiders in the Fast, Slow, and Release Preview rings, this bug was caught before rollout began.

And that's pretty much it. Microsoft has decided to hold the release of Version 1803 until the company can verify the bug has been resolved, which means it'll likely be another couple of weeks before Version 1803 is given the green light for rollout. Luckily, there's no real rush for Microsoft to get this release out the door, so it can (and definitely should) take its time with this. I believe build 17133 is still the RTM, for those wondering.

On the subject of taking its time, Microsoft is also yet to announce a name for Version 1803. We're not too sure why this is the case, but you can be sure we'll keep you posted on the matter. Microsoft will likely announce more details regarding its release in the next few days, so make sure you stay tuned to Windows Central for that and more on Windows 10 Version 1803.

"...Microsoft has decided to hold the release of Version 1803 until the company can verify the bug has been resolved, which means it'll likely be another couple of weeks before Version 1803 is given the green light for rollout."

I'm surprised it's going to take that long to fix...I thought a few extra days...so it looks like it won't be released until the monthly patch Tuesday in May...

Back