W10 laptop black screen no cursor power button doesn't work

Morlock

Limp Gawd
I have a laptop set up at a friend's house because they have broadband and I don't. I control it via TeamViewer. I have a new problem, where:

1. The laptop shows as offline in TeamViewer. (This is my cue to text my friend and ask her to restart the laptop)
2. The screen is black (with no cursor), and the power button won't restart the laptop (friend says she held button down for 60 seconds, no joy).

This is a bit of a catch 22 with a laptop because of the battery. With a desktop you can just cut the power but with a laptop you have to wait for the battery to die or yank it out.

This just happened for the 2nd time, so next time I talk to her I'll get her to remove the battery. But I'd like to know what is causing this, and how I can fix it. I wouldn't be surprised if whatever's causing this has been fixed in a W10 update - I am unable to update because the idiots at MS made the update too large for my hd (needs like 1 or 2 gb more free space than I have on hd), and the obvious necessity of having the ability to download an OS update to AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE has escaped the cretins at Microsoft (TBH it could just as easily be their control-freakery as their stupidity).

Anyhoo, just wondering if anyone has any ideas on this. I would like a solution a bit more elegant than her having to yank out the battery. I would also like any advice I can get on how to prevent W10 needing to restart so often - twice or more a week.

Back