W10 blank screen on security prompt

dgz

Supreme [H]ardness
EDIT: ISSUE WAS RESOLVED WITH A CLEAN INSTALL OVER THE PREVIOUS PERFECTLY CLEAN W10 PRO INSTALL. SHIT HAPPENS

Original first post
I am having a horrible morning. Since most of my VR games do not work on Linux, I've decided to buy a sata ssd and install Windows 10 on it.

So I got an OEM license and decided to give it a try. Installation went seemingly OK until a security prompt appeared and my screen (TV, since that's my HTPC) went dark. The system is on, windows is on, but screen is blank and the TV says no signal. Restart. Everything worked fine until a security prompt appeared and TV reported no signal. AGAIN.

A few restarts later I've noticed some kind of Logitech bar above the system tray. OK, got into safe mode, stopped the thing from starting and restarted again. That helped, I even managed to get the latest updates. w00t.

So, before installing Steam I decided to remove all the crap the MS installed for me. Just a few clicks in and it was time for yet another security prompt and another turned off display with no way of enabling it again.

Never seen such crap before. System is working fine under Ubuntu 18.04

My hardware: 3700x, itx AsRock mobo, 1070FE

I am so fucking pissed right now.

Last edited:
Hook your computer up to a proper monitor first. After that, make you sure you have the latest Nvidia drivers installed. Before installing the drivers, run all updates. Blowing off Steam is fine but, things occur, always, just move on, chill out and figure it out.

Everything turned fine after reinstalling the OS I had just installed. Wasn't just blowing off steam. Google has nothing on that exact issue.

I know your pain. I'm currently trying to install Office 365 on a brand new Windows 10 Home equipped laptop for a client, when I say brand new it's literally just out of the box.

The Office 365 installer gets to 51% and just sits there like a Pig in poo doing nothing at all - WTF?! I've uninstalled Office using the Microsoft tool, removed AV and it's still doing it! All I want to do is install Office and move onto the next step.

I know your pain. I'm currently trying to install Office 365 on a brand new Windows 10 Home equipped laptop for a client, when I say brand new it's literally just out of the box.

The Office 365 installer gets to 51% and just sits there like a Pig in poo doing nothing at all - WTF?! I've uninstalled Office using the Microsoft tool, removed AV and it's still doing it! All I want to do is install Office and move onto the next step.

So install Windows from scratch with the Microsoft Media Creation tool created usb drive. Then installed the drivers and install Office 365, that is all. Chances are, it is something the OEM installed that is causing an issue and doing a clean install would clear that up.

So install Windows from scratch with the Microsoft Media Creation tool created usb drive. Then installed the drivers and install Office 365, that is all. Chances are, it is something the OEM installed that is causing an issue and doing a clean install would clear that up.

This is a brand new machine, this 'is' Windows installed from scratch, it's not an OEM issue as it's widely reported on non OEM machines.

In the end, after three hours of uninstalling and attempting to reinstall using the Microsoft tool and trying various Googled 'fixes' I downloaded the actual ISO and after a couple of failed attempts stalling at 97% I somehow got that to work.

This is a brand new machine, this 'is' Windows installed from scratch, it's not an OEM issue as it's widely reported on non OEM machines.

In the end, after three hours of uninstalling and attempting to reinstall using the Microsoft tool and trying various Googled 'fixes' I downloaded the actual ISO and after a couple of failed attempts stalling at 97% I somehow got that to work.

So, it is a machine you built then? It is not a Dell, HP or equivalent? Or are you saying you already wiped and redid from scratch?

I am having a horrible morning. Since most of my VR games do not work on Linux, I've decided to buy a sata ssd and install Windows 10 on it.

So I got an OEM license and decided to give it a try. Installation went seemingly OK until a security prompt appeared and my screen (TV, since that's my HTPC) went dark. The system is on, windows is on, but screen is blank and the TV says no signal. Restart. Everything worked fine until a security prompt appeared and TV reported no signal. AGAIN.

A few restarts later I've noticed some kind of Logitech bar above the system tray. OK, got into safe mode, stopped the thing from starting and restarted again. That helped, I even managed to get the latest updates. w00t.

So, before installing Steam I decided to remove all the crap the MS installed for me. Just a few clicks in and it was time for yet another security prompt and another turned off display with no way of enabling it again.

Never seen such crap before. System is working fine under Ubuntu 18.04

My hardware: 3700x, itx AsRock mobo, 1070FE

I am so fucking pissed right now.

Seems to me windows thinks you have two monitors hooked up and your HTPC is the secondary output. I would investigate there. Seems whenever windows wants you to allow administrative access, which it does by producing a popup and prevents you from doing anything until you accept, it pops it up on the screen that isn't there.

You could press enter on the keyboard and see what happens... (I am not sure if you did this and I missed it?)

So, it is a machine you built then? It is not a Dell, HP or equivalent? Or are you saying you already wiped and redid from scratch?

I'm saying the issue has nothing to do with the fact this is a boxed OEM install. I shouldn't have to wipe a brand new install of Windows just to install Office 365 whether that install be supplied by the OEM manufacturer or not! I've never had to do that before and I've set up many, many OEM devices.

Anyway, after three hours of mucking around it's finally sorted.

I'm saying the issue has nothing to do with the fact this is a boxed OEM install. I shouldn't have to wipe a brand new install of Windows just to install Office 365 whether that install be supplied by the OEM manufacturer or not! I've never had to do that before and I've set up many, many OEM devices.

Anyway, after three hours of mucking around it's finally sorted.

*Shrug* Your choice but that probably would have saved you a couple hours of time. Oh well, at least it works now.

bad install file/media?

Well I was downloading the install directly from the client's Microsoft account so that couldn't have been the case. What I thought would take ~15 mins blew out to vastly longer than that, but at least it's done now using the ISO.

A PITA issue, seems quite widespread according to the Google searches I was performing to resolve the problem.

Seems to me windows thinks you have two monitors hooked up and your HTPC is the secondary output. I would investigate there. Seems whenever windows wants you to allow administrative access, which it does by producing a popup and prevents you from doing anything until you accept, it pops it up on the screen that isn't there.

Possible but I didn't want to hook my monitor just to see what happens. It was clear to me that the system was running. Sound and everything.

You could press enter on the keyboard and see what happens... (I am not sure if you did this and I missed it?)

Of course I did pres enter. I even tried restarting the video driver shortcut: Win+Ctrl+Shift+B. No luck there as well.

As I've already said, the issue was fixed by reinstalling the OS. I'll edit first post. Can't change the title, though

Possible but I didn't want to hook my monitor just to see what happens. It was clear to me that the system was running. Sound and everything.

Of course I did pres enter. I even tried restarting the video driver shortcut: Win+Ctrl+Shift+B. No luck there as well.

As I've already said, the issue was fixed by reinstalling the OS. I'll edit first post. Can't change the title, though

Oof, that will teach me to not read the entire thread. As soon as ManofGod and Mazz started their back and forth, I stopped reading.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Oof, that will teach me to not read the entire thread. As soon as ManofGod and Mazz started their back and forth, I stopped reading.

No, it's my fault. I should've put that disclaimer in OP as soon as I "fixed" it. I was really pissed with MS at the time. It looks like no one else has stumbled on this exact issue and lived long enough to share it on the internet. Hope I am not in danger

Back