w00t! YES!! AMD GOOD NESS!!!

AaronP

[H]F Junkie
This dude is giving me 5 grand to build him the ULTIMATE pc :D. I'm thinking about doing Dual Opterons with SLI and etc. Any suggestions for Mobos and etc?

No motherboards are out for that yet, unfortunately...
Check the forums at www.2cpu.com.
Those guys are always getting some inside info.

go quad opty with a 6800UE or X850(highest there is, not shure yet :p)

with 24 GB of ram (most quad opty boards support this ;).

mm....quad.

or........................FX-55 with DFI SLI GOODNESS! (when it gets here :rolleyes:)!

or. dual opty with 6800UE or x850....again....highest one

Leon2ky said:
This dude is giving me 5 grand to build him the ULTIMATE pc :D. I'm thinking about doing Dual Opterons with SLI and etc. Any suggestions for Mobos and etc?
Wait until the DFI 939 SLI board comes out. They look to be awesome.

What's he gonna use it for?

gaming i hope....if he wants him to build him a top of the line rig with SLI then id hope its gaming

Its probably a good idea to find out what he thinks as 'ultimate'. My defitinition of an ultimate 5 grandcomputer involves an 8mb onboard video card so you might wanna look exactly what he wants :p

But for gaming i'd stay away from dual-cpu, its just overkill. Get an FX system with SLI 6800gts for gaming. A nice expensive SATA controller running Raid 0+1 would be a nice addition aswell :).

Wait for Prescott 2ms.......Asus motherboard using the replacement to the 925xe....pack it wtih features........that would be awsome......

R 520 video card.....

He's a multi-tasker, gaming, 3D Rendering, alot of things really. And I think we've got the system specs picked out. I'm going to optimize them when I build it (it'll be built in April, maybe March) but when the time comes I'll be optimizing the list I've already picked out.

whatever you use, make sure the quality of the components is high across the range of different parts. i.e. supermicro case with zippy psu's would be good.

unhappy_mage said:
Wait until the DFI 939 SLI board comes out. They look to be awesome.

While cool, it's still a single processor board.

Does anyone have information regarding plans for a dual 939 board?

The dual boards are for opterons (socket 940), probably no overclocking options to be found but who knows since they aren't exactly easy to find yet.

Abit dual opteron board with SLI.

http://www.abit.com.tw/page/en/serv...E=Workstation Boards&pPRODINFO=Specifications

Here's another but I don't know anything about its specs aside from what the original poster has mentioned-

Tyan Thunder SLI-based MB w/ 2 independant NForce4 chipsets.

* (Info here: http://www.amdzone.com/pics/amd/tec.../tyannf4sli.jpg )

That dual FX to which you are referring will be sort of available with AMD's dual-core processors.That Abit one is nice, but the only way you can get 8gb of RAM is going to be with DDR333 or less....they don't make 2gb DIMMs of DDR400. Not yet, at least.
Is that IWILL out yet?

You should wait for the Iwill DK8EW, because the DK8ES doesn't support SLI properly. It only dos 16/2, not 8/8 lanes as the official SLI requires. The DK8ES will not come with the SLI bridge, the DK8EW will. (the W in the end stands for Workstation, S stands for server)

The DK8EW is slated for a release in late feb-may, looks like Iwill has there hands full producing enough to handle the demand.

man when i bought my board it was the only one with a decent gaming chipset now i gotta upgrade to something with an nforce and numa possibly :mad:

Leon2ky said:
This dude is giving me 5 grand to build him the ULTIMATE pc :D.

In re-reading this, I just realized something. We're both originally from Snellville.

That's farging strange.

Order said:
I'm starting to wonder if 5 grand will be enough...

lol you dont think 5G is enough? Unless your building the pc from Swordfish id say with 5G I could make a SMP system that would make me pleasantly happy :)

Its not available yet but check this goodness.... http://www.iwill.net/sppage/2004_10/2004_10.htm

>> Supports Dual AMD Opteron™
>> nVIDIA® nFORCE 4 PRO+ 8131
>> Supports Dual Channel DDR400
>> 8 x DDR DIMMS Registered DIMMs
>> 2 x PCI-Express X16
>> 1 x PCI-X 64bit/133MHz
>> 2 x PCI-X 64bit/66MHz
>> 2 x Broadcom® BCM5721 PCIe GbE
>> 4 x SATA Connectors
>> EATX form factor Compliant

No, you're right.
I'm slightly insane when it comes to building machines, heh.

Aegri Somnia said:
Why aren't we seeing SLI boards with dual AMD 64 FX with non-registered RAM? Doesn't make any sense to me....

Maybe because the a64-fx's aren't smp capable?

Only opterons are?

Laforge said:
Maybe because the a64-fx's aren't smp capable?

Only opterons are?

AMD plans on releasing a FX dual core cpu at the end of the year. It will more than likely be the only "desktop" dual core cpu released by AMD that will be targeted at the desktop and not the server/workstation crowd

fx55 or 57 if its out when your buying a cpu
dual 6800 ultras
phase change cooling
1GB pc4000 ram
asus A8N SLI (i thinkt thats what its called) or the DFI SLI board if its out when your buyign parts
some type of 600 or 550 watt power supply
2X 74GB raptor hard drives
ThermalRock Circle Case by Thermaltake (full tower i think)

thats the PERFECT type of gaming rig and it shoudl fit under 5 grand
also yes thats what i dream of

DemonDiablo said:
AMD plans on releasing a FX dual core cpu at the end of the year. It will more than likely be the only "desktop" dual core cpu released by AMD that will be targeted at the desktop and not the server/workstation crowd

1) I know about dual-core in the future, I was not referring to products in the FUTURE. I was referring to current products, in response to

Aegri Somnia said:
Why aren't we seeing SLI boards with dual AMD 64 FX with non-registered RAM? Doesn't make any sense to me....

He's asking for a Dual Socket 939 board with dual PCI-e x 16

To which I said "because the opterons are the only smp capables" -- I should have said "because the opterons are the only dual SOCKET capables!"

Even when the dual-core afx-59 or whatever it is comes out, it *still* won't be dual SOCKET.

2) Just because something has two cores, or two "virtual" processors, doesn't mean it's working in "SMP", not necessarily.. now, it doesn't mean it ISN'T working in SMP, either.. I don't know what it will mean.

Is a hyperthreading p4 "SMP"? No, not really. It might be load balancing, but the "two" processors don't work together one one task making it faster. It is yet to be seen how amd will truly implement their solution (or intel for that matter)

and will dual core p4's show 4 total cpu's? [1 actual core = 2 HT virtuals, 2 actual cores = 4 HT virtuals] Will that mean you'll call a single 775 pin package a 4 way processor?

While aggressive, I agree with Laforge, I want two sockets, with two 64 FX CPUs.

However.... I thought your statement about only Opterons supporting SMP doesn't *sound* correct to me. While I can't find any AMD information to support or deny, it seems this will be more of a chipset and operating system delegation issue, not CPU type.

Am I wrong?

Aegri Somnia said:
While aggressive, I agree with Laforge, I want two sockets, with two 64 FX CPUs.

However.... I thought your statement about only Opterons supporting SMP doesn't *sound* correct to me. While I can't find any AMD information to support or deny, it seems this will be more of a chipset and operating system delegation issue, not CPU type.

Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.

AMD has intentionally designed their processors to not be capable of SMP functionality [of course, some smart guy out there will figure out a hack one of these days]

This is the *reason* why you don't see any dual s754 or s939 boards, because it's IMPOSSIBLE, and ONLY dual 940 boards are capable of it.. in fact, even with a dual 940 board, you can't even use an opteron 1xx series processor in dual socket operation.. You *MUST* purchase either 2xx series or 8xx series processors if you wish to put two processors in.

The marketing department at AMD, i am positive, doesn't want to come right out and say "fx processors don't support smp" but..

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_861_9633~74562,00.html

if you read there, you'll notice the LACK of any mention of it..

but if you look at this
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_861_8806~82424,00.html

You'll see they mention "Dual processor" [smp]

Laforge said:
and will dual core p4's show 4 total cpu's?

According to what I have read, yes, it will. We all know this is more marketing ploy than technical achievement, but it might reopen the questions about Windows XP Pro only supporting two logical or virtual processors.

Laforge said:
This is the *reason* why you don't see any dual s754 or s939 boards, because it's IMPOSSIBLE, and ONLY dual 940 boards are capable of it.. in fact, even with a dual 940 board, you can't even use an opteron 1xx series processor in dual socket operation.. You *MUST* purchase either 2xx series or 8xx series processors if you wish to put two processors in.

That's a very interesting approach, but I can't think of any reason why they would intentionally limit the implementation of the chip. Then again, I can't think of any architecture reasons why it would be limited either, so it looks like I'm going to have to research a little more.

Aegri Somnia said:
That's a very interesting approach, but I can't think of any reason why they would intentionally limit the implementation of the chip. Then again, I can't think of any architecture reasons why it would be limited either, so it looks like I'm going to have to research a little more.

Marketing.

It's so people who want 2 way and 4 way processing have to buy SERVER chips..

The a64 and a64-fx are meant for single cpu, "gaming" and "standard" operation

The opterons have registered memory, numa, and 1,2, 4, and 8 way operation supported for people who are willing to spend more money on their processors.

SInce the fx, and the opteron have almost the same cache setups [nearly identical] and run at the same speeds, one could easily guess that an opteron and an FX are very similair chips...

[which they are.. in fact, other than 3 or 4 minor differences, i know they are.] One of the limiting factors is that missing 940th pin [which i believe has something to do with enabling or not enabling the processor to processor HT link]

Now, there are some FX- processors out there (fx-51 and i *think* some 53s) that have 940 pins.. but, i believe even they are not SMP capable.

Laforge said:
The opterons have registered memory, numa, and 1,2, 4, and 8 way operation supported for people who are willing to spend more money on their processors.

Yep, and I don't mind spending more.

What I do mind is the slower (not by much, but it does make a difference) access times on registered memory.

I would like fastest across the board, and an non-SMP FX support holds me back.

On a side note, I still might be interested in an asynch dual FX setup.... since TCP/IP, disk IO, etc will be handled by the OS on some background threads.... any way.... I'm rambling and am starving.... must.... eat.

Thanks for the info. I also sent an email to a friend at AMD to find out more.

You could also wait until "the second half of 2005" when AMD releases their dual-core processors for the desktop.

I think the dual core chip would give his SMP-aware apps some oomph, while still giving his games good performance (by eliminating SMP memory allocation problems and northbridge conflits).

I'd also avoid going with an on-board RAID controller and buy a real RAID controller. Something frim LSI or, better yet, Adaptec. Something either SCSI U-320 or an 8-port SATA card with 128 MB of read/write cache.

Then hang a ton of big, high-speed drives off of it and watch all your friends drool over his two terabytes of storage under his desk.

Back