W00T!!! Got my MS email today....

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
...about my copy of Vista ultimate for participating in the testing AND actually submitting some bugs. My copy of XP Pro I got the same way from way back then has served me well and will continue to for a long time I am sure....

"The Windows Product and Consumer Support teams would like to thank you for participating in the Windows Vista Consumer Assisted Support (Friends and Family) beta program. We're pleased to announce that we will be sending you one licensed 32-bit retail copy of Windows Vista Ultimate as a thank you for your participation in our program. This complimentary copy of Windows Vista may be installed on a 32-bit or 64-bit capable computer (x86/x64). At this time, we plan to send these out to participants in the February timeframe. We must wait until the product is available for purchase at retail establishments before shipping your copy so please continue to use and enjoy your existing version of Windows Vista until that time."

February, awesome, I can wait..... ;)

Awesome gift you got there :)

Too bad I'm not in the beta testers program but next time, I will submit very early and help find some bugs.

MelonSplitter said:
Finally someone got something back from M$oft

MS ain't all bad, some people just blow it out of proportion. The reason why MS is so big, is because nobody else has bothered to make an OS that can suit both the average joe AND the serious power user. The lawyers that sue and the people that hire the lawyers are using Microsoft's own software to do the paperwork and documents, how's that for irony? :p

XP was pretty damn good out of the box, especially compared to WinBlows 9x, and it is still a very solid OS. If you have a crashing XP box, it isn't the OS's fault that's for sure.

what's with the 32 bit, did you ask for that? If not that's pretty weak

thats just sad, I already have a retail version of Vista Business. (props to working on campus)

skeeder said:
thats just sad, I already have a retail version of Vista Business. (props to working on campus)
Hows printer support in th rtm? Any better than the beta?

TheRapture said:
MS ain't all bad, some people just blow it out of proportion. The reason why MS is so big, is because nobody else has bothered to make an OS that can suit both the average joe AND the serious power user. The lawyers that sue and the people that hire the lawyers are using Microsoft's own software to do the paperwork and documents, how's that for irony? :p

XP was pretty damn good out of the box, especially compared to WinBlows 9x, and it is still a very solid OS. If you have a crashing XP box, it isn't the OS's fault that's for sure.

Just on this point, I found it funny that several years ago when Microsoft was "on trial" for using monopolistic practices, at one point Scott McNealy of Sun was testifying before a House subcommittee looking into the matter.

When he made a statement about Microsoft being a monopoly, here's what happened:

One Senator asked Mr. McNealy to clarify what he believed a monopoly was and how it related to Microsoft at that particular time.

McNealy stood up, turned around and looked back at all the reporters and press people in the testimony room. He asked, "How many of you have Windows on your computer?"

Nearly every hand in the room went up, obviously.

He turned, sat back down, and said "Senator, that is my definition of a monopoly."

I almost fell outta my chair laughing at the sheer lunacy of his question and how he used it to slam Microsoft one more time. My personal belief: if one company can supply a product that does everything I need or want to do with my computer, what's the problem?

Funny stuff that I just remembered so I thought I'd share... :)

</off_topic>

tpfaff said:
what's with the 32 bit, did you ask for that? If not that's pretty weak

I would rather have 32 bit, since 64 bit driver and software support actually still sucks for a gamer and daily power user.

Right now in Vista, Lightscribe does not work and I use that all the time....most of my video editing/ripping software has one issue or another....games have not proven to be faster since they are not native 64 bit apps....

When it is ready, then I'll worry about 64 bit.... :p

Were you in the actual beta testing program or in the consumer release?

I submitted MANY bugs in the consumer release program, but I wasn't in the beta program through Microsoft Connect.

I was in the official beta testing for Win2k and XP, for Vista I was just in the "Windows Vista Consumer Assisted Support (Friends and Family) beta program" but I was nominated for it from an inside source at MS, so maybe that helped....?

If you were in the program officially and submitted bugs, I think you will still get an email, they are very slow in coming....cross your fingers.

Back