W.O.W. or EverQuestII, which to buy and play ?

Labrador

[H]ard|Gawd
I dont want to start a flame war here, just wondering which of the two games do you think is money better spent ?
WorldOfWarcraft or EverQuestII ? If someone was only to buy one of these games, because who has the time to play two mmorpg's ?

I am new to the mmorpg, so I picked up W.O.W. this week, and so far really like it, it's pretty simple to get into, and the world is frigging huge :) Was wondering if EQII is just like W.O.W. gameplay wise ?

Just post opinions on which do you like better and or why ? Thanks

everquest 2, hands down, only problem is eq2 is alot more of a system hog.
As far as gamplay WOW is very ordinary while eq 2 really deliever's a much more solid experiance

cr3do said:
everquest 2, hands down, only problem is eq2 is alot more of a system hog.
As far as gamplay WOW is very ordinary while eq 2 really deliever's a much more solid experiance

But does the gameplay feel like W.O.W. ? I like the way you move the character and fight, etc..

Labrador - I'm new to MMORPGs as well. I played WoW Beta and loved it. I'm seriously considering picking this one up

fat_al said:
Labrador - I'm new to MMORPGs as well. I played WoW Beta and loved it. I'm seriously considering picking this one up

I'm also new to MMORPGs and got FFXI and love it.

Everquest II is just a boring grind after level 20... if you want to have fun then get WoW.

Impulse2k said:
Everquest II is just a boring grind after level 20... if you want to have fun then get WoW.

Thanks, I really dig WoW, this being my first mmorpg, it's just that EQII graphics look jaw dropping ? But gameplay is all that really matters in the end :)

Another question for WoW players, I am a6th level NightElf Priest, will I get to ride horses further into the game ? And also will I come across the other races, meaning do the world meat each other ?

If you want simplicity gameplay, more soloing, less hardware intensive, less variety in missions, less play time needed to level and less stuff to do as you get higher levels: Get WoW

If you want complex, deep gameplay, much harder soloing and group involved gameplay, MUCH more hardware intensive game and missions alagalore as well as more time invested needed to level: Get EQ2

WoW is like playing some childs version of a MMORPG and to me, its about as lame as it can get. The graphics also totally rub me the wrong way, there to kiddish. EQ2 all the way for me.

Labrador said:
Thanks, I really dig WoW, this being my first mmorpg, it's just that EQII graphics look jaw dropping ? But gameplay is all that really matters in the end :)

Another question for WoW players, I am a6th level NightElf Priest, will I get to ride horses further into the game ? And also will I come across the other races, meaning do the world meat each other ?

Horseriding comes at level 40. Technically you can buy one anytime if you have the money. You just can't train for riding until that level.

When I played beta, the most expensive horse was like 1000 Gold. :eek:

And the cheapest was like 100 Gold or something like that.. insanly expensive.

If you're new to MMORPGs and don't plan to get heavily involved in the game and come from the standpoint of a traditional gamer I'd say WoW. If you plan on playing something a little more than just a game with more development get EQ2 . You have more freedom in EQ2 and leveling and quests feel like more of an accomplishment. I myself am most likely getting EQ2 because I wan't a lot of out my MMORPG experience.

IceWind said:
If you want simplicity gameplay, more soloing, less hardware intensive, less variety in missions, less play time needed to level and less stuff to do as you get higher levels: Get WoW

If you want complex, deep gameplay, much harder soloing and group involved gameplay, MUCH more hardware intensive game and missions alagalore as well as more time invested needed to level: Get EQ2

WoW is like playing some childs version of a MMORPG and to me, its about as lame as it can get. The graphics also totally rub me the wrong way, there to kiddish. EQ2 all the way for me.

I think IceWind puts it best. I played both WoW(beta) and EQ2 and EQ2 is DEFINETLY my kind of game. I love the deeper gameplay, excellent graphics, and less kiddish kind of mmorpg that eq2 is.

Exactly why does EQ2 feel more complex than WoW? What gives it a more mature feel? This is the sort of thing I look for in an MMO, and I want to get into one, and I had a blast in the open beta. I really like Bliz's art style, but I wasn't sure how long the combat system would hold my interest. So, what does EQ2 have that would hold my interest more than WoW?

WoW all the way. they had heavy lag that lasted maybe 25 hours tops (yes 25). you can solo (although it's kind of difficult) and still get with a group to go conquering. then there's "raiding parties" of 5+ for the insanely hard parts.

No question WoW is the way to go.Sony can keep their crap.After retiring from EQ1 I vowed no more Sony products. EQ/SWG customer service is an abomination.They care little of what the customer needs as long as the money keeps rolling in.

I'll have to give my vote to world of warcraft, but then again thats expected seeing how I own every game blizzard has made for the pc so.. lol this is a dream come true (and well done too)

For having never played an mmorpg the beta was immediately addicting and extremely fun... cant do better than that? Spent about 3 weeks in beta trying out many of the different types of characters so i'll be training up a troll rogue and orc warlock pretty soon..

I've been playing Eq2 and have been enjoying it. It definetly is a much more complex engine, Its going to be 2-3 years before you can run this game on full settings without a 2nd mtg.

D1sc1pl3 0f Mal1c3 said:
Exactly why does EQ2 feel more complex than Wow? What gives it a more mature feel? This is the sort of thing I look for in an MMO, and I want to get into one, and I had a blast in the open beta. I really like Blitz’s art style, but I wasn't sure how long the combat system would hold my interest. So, what does EQ2 have that would hold my interest more than Wow?

Its somewhat hard to put into words, its kinda one of those "Play it know what im talking about kinda deals"

EQ2 just has such more VARIETY I guess you could say in what you can do in comparison to WoW. Everything from the missions, to hunting, to crafting. Each one has its own spawning of different possibilities and ways to accomplish stuff. Honestly, this game is so expansive in every shape and form there is no reasons TO get bored:

1.You could go talk to some NPC's and do some errand runs and make easy xp and money
2. Go to the catacombs and travel the under cities,
3. Go visit the nether region caves and go cave spelunking
4. Go kill some mobs out in Antonicia,
5. Go explore the further regions of Black burrows,
6. Hop on a griffin *yes, you can ride griffins, sooooo cool!* and learn the landsacpe
7. Go make a group and do quests together or just go kill everything that moves
8. Form up raid parties with your guild and go on some majorly hard quests with major xp and item rewards!
9. Craft scrolls, weapons, food, *yep, you can be a chef* and armor and sell to people in the big cites. Get bored doing something or start hating it? Go do something else, there’s tons of variety!

And that’s just ONE island! There are several in EQ2.

There is no reason to get bored in this game. The graphics if your machine can handle it absolutely blow any MMORPG to date outa the water, the sound is all but perfect and you can customize practically anything on your HUD for just that right look.

The downtime is very minimal in EQ2. With the right group, you will spend 90% + of your time killing, depending on your group layout. Soloing yes, you’re looking at much more downtime in comparison, but that’s the price you pay for being a hero alone. Some classes like Savages, Clerics or Rouges s

The graphics for one give a MUCH more realistic and "live in this virtual world" feel then Blizzards "let’s make a game look AKA 2001 style graphics cause that’s the way we do things"

I"ll tell you what man, not one single screenshot in WoW has even come close the the "fantasy" and epic feeling I feel when I play EQ2. Let me give you an example.

Last night I was in a Black Burrow, a very large and dangerous cave in Qeynos. I was with my group of 6 and we were walking down the dark corridors, my torch was casting shadows off of all my teammates across the wall as well as seeing the bumpy surface of the rock around me * very cool* I could hear the barking of Gnolls *dog like things* and the barking actually ECHOED through the cave as well as our footsteps and breathing of our characters.

I could hear the sound of rushing water echoing through the tunnel getting louder and louder. Eventually we came into this one room with this HUGE waterfall gushing water from way up top the cave. We looked down and saw the water pouring into a big lake below. Thinking it was a good shortcut, we JUMPED down into this water hole and splashed down. *think 13th warrior* The water actually makes your vision looks blurry and wavy when your underwater.

When I came up, steam and water vapor were hanging in the air creating a mist around the entire area. The water effects in the game caused the entire pool to ripple and bubble like a real waterfall would. We climbed out and relit our torches to find ourself SURROUNDED by huge cobwebs that glittered in the torches light *You excited yet?* We walked further down to find a huge cavern room filled with spiders. We could actually hear them clicking and walking around *very freaky with headphones in the dark* Thinking this was well behind our level we decided to look for something else to kill.

One of my teammates noticed an underwater cavern in the pool of water. We all jumped back in and swam under this tunnel and came up to a new area in the cave where these dog like creatures were guarding this underground beer brewery. Our torches actually caused light to bounce off the water illuminating the entire area around us. The dogs saw us and the head boss screamed out something in strange langauge that echoed through the entire cave scaring the bejesus outa me and so began the fight.

How's that for grand and epic?

Ok so it sounds like EQII, is the game for far more realistic RPG'ing like a Never Winter Nights version of a mmorpg ?

And WoW is for the newbie mmorpg'er, or someone who cant spare 100hrs a week ?

So far I like W.O.W., just dont dig the "kiddie" FisherPrice style graphics. But I am afraid that EQII wont be as fun as WoW ? I dont have the time to play a mmorpg more than 20hrs a week or so.

I am torn, I may just pick up EQ2 this weekend to try it out, and make my decision, can you solo in EQII ? If so whats a good character/clss to chose ? Also is the movement the same as WoW ?'

Thanks

Labrador said:
Ok so it sounds like EQII, is the game for far more realistic RPG'ing like a Never Winter Nights version of a mmorpg ?

And WoW is for the newbie mmorpg'er, or someone who cant spare 100hrs a week ?

So far I like W.O.W., just dont dig the "kiddie" FisherPrice style graphics. But I am afraid that EQII wont be as fun as WoW ? I dont have the time to play a mmorpg more than 20hrs a week or so.

I am torn, I may just pick up EQ2 this weekend to try it out, and make my decision, can you solo in EQII ? If so whats a good character/clss to chose ? Also is the movement the same as WoW ?'

Thanks

WoW is pretty much for the folk who can't or won't spend the time leveling, EQ2 will take more dedication in comparison.

You can solo just be prepared to level alot slower in comparison to the people grouping or doing quests. Also be forwarned your loot and items are gonna gonna be few and between as most of them come from questing or doing high level mobs with groups. Honestly, if you wanna play alone, the WoW is your better choice.

Basic movement is basically the same for both, but you can totally customize it your hearts content.

MemoryInAGarden said:
I'm also new to MMORPGs and got FFXI and love it.

I play FFXI as well, very friendly to the MMO noob, focused alot on parties, I love it. If any of you guys are on the Midgardsormr server, drop me a /tell, names Ampidire, BLM61,SMN39,WHM36, right now I'm taking WHM to 40 with a static PT and leveling smn on the side to get it to 40 so I can switch to that when the static reaches 40. SMN has been my dream job, I work very hard to be the best at it that I possibly can be.

Recent Achievements in FFXI:

You buy the vermillion cloak for 3,400,000 gil.
You buy the wind staff for 180,000 gil.
You buy the light staff for 185,000 gil.
You buy the ice staff for 86,000 gil.
You buy the earth staff for 177,000 gil.
You buy the thunder staff for 145,000 gil.
You buy the fire staff for 140,000 gil.
You buy the water staff for 180,000 gil.
You buy the pluto's staff for 570,000 gil.
You buy the austere robe for 580,000 gil.
You buy the austere hat for 50,000 gil.

Keep in mind I'm pretty rich, so all you new guys who have no Idea what I'm talking about, this is really for the guys who play, they would know what these items are.

What it comes down to is how much time you have to invest in the game. Before you say that isn't a concern, think about all of things you could be doing IRL as opposed to playing a game. In my situation, I played the first EQ for years, but really didn't have an outside life. Your mileage may vary, but to me it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't play if I only had an hour or two. When I did play in that time frame, I really didn't get anything done in game.

WoW is just the opposite. I played for two hours last night. Completed a couple of quests. Got to explore and logged out feeling like I did something worthwhile.Wow is very quest based and that makes it more fun. It's more of a story and you are living it in the game world. I am giving Blizzard my money and feel it's worthwhile.

To each thier own, but WoW is the game for me.

Destructis Human Mage on the Argent Dawn Server

In WoW you can be level 60 in 3-4 months and the tradeskills blow. MMORPGs need to have staying power which I don't think WoW has. No brainer if you ask me. Play EQ1 till Vanguard is released. Thanks!

if you don't have a life, play eq2

wow looks sorta ok.. im thinking about getting it, but i don't think i want to waste so much time playing like i did in daoc.. lol

Destructis said:
What it comes down to is how much time you have to invest in the game. Before you say that isn't a concern, think about all of things you could be doing IRL as opposed to playing a game. In my situation, I played the first EQ for years, but really didn't have an outside life. Your mileage may vary, but to me it wasn't worth it. I wouldn't play if I only had an hour or two. When I did play in that time frame, I really didn't get anything done in game.

WoW is just the opposite. I played for two hours last night. Completed a couple of quests. Got to explore and logged out feeling like I did something worthwhile.Wow is very quest based and that makes it more fun. It's more of a story and you are living it in the game world. I am giving Blizzard my money and feel it's worthwhile.

To each thier own, but WoW is the game for me.

Destructis Human Mage on the Argent Dawn Server

yep very well said :) I never played EverCrack, and Wow is my first mmorpg, and I really like it, dont have more than 20-30hrs a week to put into it. I played for three hours last night, finished a few quests and leveld up, had fun

My brother would like to play WoW, but he has never paid a monthly fee for a game, and is kind of against it. What can you say thats postive for paying for the game ? What can I tell my Bro, that paying monthly is worth it ?

It seems to me we are delving into the realms of semantics...what makes a good MMORPG? How much time would you want to spend? I played EQ 1 for years; whoever made the game was brilliant in knowing how to create addiction - because you are never satisfied; Oscar Wilde said smoking was the most addictive pleasure because it always left one wanting for more. Same thing with EQ.

That's not good enough for me anymore, I've decided this time around to stick to FPS. I love RPG's but quite frankly, I've got things I need to do in the real world. I jump in a half-life or tribes game or mod and I am just as 'good' as the other players. I would like to see a game where your skill was the primary measure and how time factored it was you gained skill as you played - something a little like the old fighting games and complex button move- how about a 'lvl 50 ice comet' spell that anyone could cast but it takes a takes a hundred key strokes?

But, it's nice to know if I was hurt and could never walk again, that I would have something to do in my copious spare time.

as for both WoW and EQ2 both great games.. IMO starwars galaxies beats them both.
but if chooseing between WoW and EQ2 then i owuld say EQ2.

I just posted this same thing a few days ago, and everyone pointed me towards WoW.

I have played it nonstop since.

I like the game a ton, you get plenty of crafting abilities, (I'm a cook, and a tailor) as well as other abilities such as first aid and enchanting.

I really like the play style, everyone seems on an even keel.

Also, when you sleep in town and log out, the game actually lets gives you an XP bonus for the time away.

They encourge you to have a life and not play 24 hours a day!

It's very refreshing.

Anyways, I vote WoW just because I am really loving it and I am pretty new to MMORPGs , after only playing Anarchy Online for a few months before hand.

IceWind said:
1.You could go talk to some NPC's and do some errand runs and make easy xp and money
2. Go to the catacombs and travel the under cities,
3. Go visit the nether region caves and go cave spelunking
4. Go kill some mobs out in Antonicia,
5. Go explore the further regions of Black burrows,
6. Hop on a griffin *yes, you can ride griffins, sooooo cool!* and learn the landsacpe
7. Go make a group and do quests together or just go kill everything that moves
8. Form up raid parties with your guild and go on some majorly hard quests with major xp and item rewards!
9. Craft scrolls, weapons, food, *yep, you can be a chef* and armor and sell to people in the big cites. Get bored doing something or start hating it? Go do something else, there’s tons of variety!

same thing with world of warcraft...
1. you can talk to npcs and do quests...
2. you can travel to the capital city of the undead which is an underground layer
3. Plenty of caves to go exploring in and do quests as well...
4. You can raid people as well as defend from raids in your quest to take over cities...
5. There is a lot of territory to explore, hostile as well as safe.. an island for the horde an island for the alliance.
6. Hop on bat riders or wind riders and travel from city to city... or buy a horse or a raptor or wolf for self transportation..
7. group up with others and do quests that are too hard to solo... (you can easily solo as well)
8. 8 seems the same as 7, but in WoW you can form raid parties and go attack opposing cities.
9. You can be a chef as well, do leatherworking, mining, alchemy etc.. plenty of professions...

really its just preference... I see eq2 as more of a hardcore mmorpg (for the hardcore player rather) and WoW for someone who doesn't plan on spending countless hours every week... i've got other things I could be doing, but its fun to do all of the above things when I have time...

As someone who has "Worked" (Think shiny green armor) and played EQ1, I just wanted to say that so far, EQ2 seems much less "time heavy". Granted, I played only up until level 23 in beta, but thus far it seemed an easier and quicker, yet more rewarding road than in EQ1. I have not played WoW, and will probably give it a try, but for all those who are basing the time committment of EQ2 on what EQ1 was like, its totally different!

Xaeos said:
As someone who has "Worked" (Think shiny green armor) and played EQ1, I just wanted to say that so far, EQ2 seems much less "time heavy". Granted, I played only up until level 23 in beta, but thus far it seemed an easier and quicker, yet more rewarding road than in EQ1. I have not played WoW, and will probably give it a try, but for all those who are basing the time committment of EQ2 on what EQ1 was like, its totally different!
I think this is probably because the game just came out. If I remember right, when EQ1 came out...people were leveling pretty fast, then after everyone got to a higher level they slowed it down quite a bit.

I have been thinking about getting WoW. I know a few people playing it and I like the fact that its not very time consuming (when compared to any of the other MMORPGs I've played). I think in the long run, EQ2 will be a better game, just because the two things Sony rules at is releasing expansions (I think there was seriously 7+ for EQ1) and patching things (for all those that played EQ1 upon release).

I played WoW and Everquest II now.

I'll be honest. When I played WoW I was hooked from the start. I admit there were a few instances when I got bored of the game, but that was just from grinding. A little exploration took care of that.

I'm playing EQII now. I'm not hooked on it. I'm sure I will be after I unlock my subclass. It's just that leveling is a lot slower in WoW. It's a lot more deep than WoW. IMO it's a lot less user-friendly and has a lot more of a curve to get used to. Still in the end, it has a HELLUVA lot more stuff to do than WoW.

WoW is cool, but a lot of it struck me the same. I think some skill animations are broken in WoW. I remember my warrior having the same skill animation for several skills. That was a big turn down for me. Getting an uber skill and seeing the same animation is wack.

Still, both are fun. Right now I'll say WoW was more fun. But, I haven't really gotten anywhere with EQII. I have a level 10 and a level 11 in EQII...and that took about 12 hours of gameplay.

Harkamus said:
I'm playing EQII now. I'm not hooked on it. I'm sure I will be after I unlock my subclass. It's just that leveling is a lot slower in EQII. It's a lot more deep than WoW. IMO it's a lot less user-friendly and has a lot more of a curve to get used to. Still in the end, it has a HELLUVA lot more stuff to do than WoW.
I wouldn't go this far until you've been there. :p
Both games have a limit on how far you can go. WoW seems like it'll approach a lot faster than EQ2, so therefore EQ2 may be more interesting longer. WoW also has the Horde vs. Alliance feature which EQ2 lacks, giving it a bit more depth.

In the end it's all about how much time you want to put into the game, how fast your computer is, visual preference, and how bored you get of doing the same thing over and over.

Eq2 sucks atleast from what all the hype about it was before release.

It was all hyped up to be alot that it hasnt.

I love EQ1, and say its better . Maybe in a year Eq2 will be good after many changes.But it did not impress me.

I cant vouch for WOW because i havent gotten it, and if i do i will wait a few weeks so all the lag issues, etc can be resolved.

Labrador said:
My brother would like to play WoW, but he has never paid a monthly fee for a game, and is kind of against it. What can you say thats postive for paying for the game ? What can I tell my Bro, that paying monthly is worth it ?

Well, lets see for $15 a month in comparison to free online FPS I get......

1. No cheating or hacking
2. Less 12 year olds acting like total fucktards
3. Fewer server crashes and more stable bandwith
4. More people dedicated to having a good time and enjoying the game
5. Less spam and smack talk
6. No campers *EQ2 prevents this completely*
7. A continually updated, revised and improved game world, with new opportunties, adventures, land to explore, quests.

Yep, for $15, thats money well worth spent. Far as im concerned, im about done playing FPS games online, as all I get is servers with shitty pings, crappy, immature teenager dorks, hacking and cheating, campers. Yeah, thats how I wanna spend my time, playing games

To each his own. *returns to private fantasy world*

WoW is the first MMORPG I have played more than a few hours. I played EQ1 and found it very lame, I to this day will never understand what anyone found fun about that game. Maybe EQ2 is better.

I think what you're getting in this thread though seems solid. If you have a LOT of time to invest(why you would want to do this is beyond me), EQ2 might be better and will reward you better for the time spent. If you're looking for a more casual, laid back MMORPG experience and to just have fun, WoW is the way to go.

Now just a mini review of WoW.

WOW!

I never thought I would ever enjoy a MMORPG, but this is FUN! It's nice to just sit and game, watch the kewl graphics and do some shit. I nice break from feeling like you gotta constantly be polishing your FPS skills. Hell, they even reward players that don't play as often by letting you learn up to 200% exp if you've been logged out several days.

Blizzard has never released a game that disappointed me. WoW is no exception.

IceWind said:
Well, lets see for $15 a month in comparison to free online FPS I get......

Hard to compare a game where your character has a lifespan of, at most, an hour to a game where your character may stay with you for years.

ameoba said:
Hard to compare a game where your character has a lifespan of, at most, an hour to a game where your character may stay with you for years.

Ok lets not compare paying monthly fee to shooter games, there is no comparison. But my brothers biggest complaint is that a game like Never Winter Nights doesnt charge a fee, and you get;

- Updates and user made modules

- Patch the game alot and have solid servers

- Allow you to play the game in parties with your friends

Back