W.H.O. will classify 'Gaming Disorder' as mental illness in 2018

Yes, it irritates me when someone says something unsubstantiated then after faced with a rebuttal their tactic is to ignore it entirely and continue as if their original assertion is still completely unchallenged.

I answered you completely. Get all bent out of shape all you want, or don't. I do not care. Addicts love to deny their inability to change habits, or admit they have a problem. You have just implied that for ten years at home, you have not gone a day without being on your computer.

Being away from home doesn't count, as clearly your reasons for being away, distract you from being on your pc at home.
But when you're home..... that's the relevant story worth discussing here....
What more do you want?

Fine, you're no where near addicted to your computer. Does that make you happy babe?

Have a great day.

I definitely have some addictive tendencies, but then, why shouldn't I? If you enjoy something OF COURSE you want to do it again. Like skydivers for example. First of all, anything I've been somewhat addicted to (if you can even call it that) has been because I found it pleasurable in some way. If I'm not hurting myself, or anyone else, and am still a functional person, then yes, maybe I'm somewhat addicted to it, but it's not what I would call a problem. A problem is what I think most people equate with addiction. Something like a crack or heroine addict. That's a problem.

1. I'm somewhat addicted to Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill Champagne (though I can't really afford to buy it often enough for it to become a problem.)
2. I'm somewhat addicted to single malt Scotches and good Rye. (and maybe an accompanying cigar) I have to get up for work every day though, so I try to keep that to maybe 2-3 times a week.
3. I'm somewhat addicted to designing and building analog synthesizers. I have to make sure I spend time with my family though, so I try not to get carried away (with varying degrees of success :D )
4. I'm somewhat addicted to playing video games. I play with my kids though, so that kind of alleviates number 3 a bit where they're concerned.
5. I'm very addicted to being naughty with my wife, so to speak. :D That also tends to alleviate number 3.

Those are five examples out of MANY that I can think of over the course of my life. Sure, I find those fairly addictive, because I find them pleasurable. Some give me a sense of pride too. I participate in them more than your average person probably, but since they don't have a negative impact on my life, even though they're addictive activities and items for me, they aren't PROBLEMS. So a group like the WHO can back the fuck off, and not try to classify things I enjoy as diseases. That's basically my only point, and distinction here. Addiction can be bad, but doesn't necessarily HAVE to be. When it hits problematic levels where self-control is lost, and negative impacts occur, then that's where I draw a line and equate addiction to problems like a lot of other people seem to.

Look at an overachiever addicted to success and climbing corporate ladders. They might be total dicks, they might eventually burn themselves out, but is getting to the top considered a disease? It's usually called something like the American dream. :D Though personally, I could pretty easily describe it as a disease I suppose. :p One's point of view comes into this discussion too.

Last edited by a moderator:
About damn time they would do this. I got sick when I was 14 years old, and now, many years later, and countless days of suffering with severe, unbearable headaches and panic attacks, I still have episodes at 36.

The exact game that did this to me, was the original Command and Conquer. I played it pretty much 24/7 stopping only for school, bathroom and food.

Oh and to make sure everyone understands, no, this is not a troll post, and yes, I am absolutely serious.

Back