VZW users: who else is jumping ship when iphone comes to us?

mobusta1

2[H]4U
I'll be one of em. I've used android for about 6 months now and while it has been pretty decent I'm ready to see what all the hype is about.

And not to turn this into an android vs ios debate but google is severly lacking in the app dept, especially the games. The only games I play are angry birds or papi jump. Everything else is pretty boring. I'm also pretty sick of the lag that my phone has (htc incredible).

Anyways, who else will joing the apple bandwagon when it comes to verizon?

I really can't wait for it to be released and I wish there wasn't so much secrecy and that we at least knew a release date so I could know how long I have to wait for.

I hope we get the white iphone :D

I'm on Verizon and feel totally opposite. I'm dreading the iPhone launch on VZW :(. Because I'm afraid half of AT&Ts smart phone users are going to jump ship to VZW and totally kill the network while all the loyal AT&T users will enjoy a nice speed boost from loss of congestion, lol. I may be exaggerating a little, but I'm actually expecting this to some degree.

Besides that, I'm actually really happy with Android. I'm sure I would be really happy with an iPhone too, but I'd rather not look gay while I'm using my phone too :D. Low blow/shallow, I know, but it's honestly how I feel about the phone. I have a Droid and though it's not nearly as pretty and smooth as IOS, it's definitely functional. More so in some areas that I deem more important, such as widgets, file management and notification/media customization. Games are cool, but they're not that high priority for me and even if they were, I'd still take Android over IOS due to the fact that I can use a physical keyboard for input (made better with a Game Gripper) on emulators and some other native games. Games are going to exponentially get better in the next year or so too with the Tegra based phones launching early next year, the Playstation phone running Android and they're even making optimizations for devs right now for 2.3 to improve performance for existing and future games.

I don't think the app argument really holds true anymore either. There's over 100k apps in the market now and it's rising faster than the Apple store too. I'll bet it catches up in sheer numbers in the next 2 years too, not that that should mean anything significant anyways because quantity certainly doesn't mean quality. I'm sure right now, at least 90% of the time if you want to find an app in iTunes, you'll be able to find a comparable app in the Android market (excluding games of course).

So having said that, I'll definitely be going with Android for the foreseeable future. Both platforms definitely have their own strengths, but for me Android wins. I know you don't want this to turn into a OS debate, but that's inevitable with your topic and I tried to bite my tongue as much as I could about the iPhone/IOS :).

I'll be one of em. I've used android for about 6 months now and while it has been pretty decent I'm ready to see what all the hype is about.

And not to turn this into an android vs ios debate but google is severly lacking in the app dept, especially the games. The only games I play are angry birds or papi jump. Everything else is pretty boring. I'm also pretty sick of the lag that my phone has (htc incredible).

Anyways, who else will joing the apple bandwagon when it comes to verizon?

I really can't wait for it to be released and I wish there wasn't so much secrecy and that we at least knew a release date so I could know how long I have to wait for.

I hope we get the white iphone :D

I had an iPhone and you couldn't pay me to go back to one over something Android based. The closed environment is too much of a killer to me.

I'm not even sure Verizon is actually getting the iPhone. AT&T still has their contract with Apple and nobody knows when it ends other then "2011". However, like T4rd I'm am slightly worried about what may happen if iPhone actually hits. I would like to know how many Android phones are actually on Verizon's network right now because a percentage of those would probably switch to iPhone. I personally believe Verizon's network could have handled iPhone where AT&T cannot but we can never be sure until iPhone actually goes to Verizon.

Now explain to me what games Android doesn't have. It has every emulator under the sun. You can find things like Dungeon Hunter and a shit ton of other great Gameloft games. Pocket Legends, Zenonia, and Madden was just announced for it and those are only a few. Plus with Android 2.3 just hitting with brand new API's for gaming just wait and see what devs can do.

As for your Dinc lagging. I think there's something wrong with it. Have you rooted or anything? My wife's Dinc doesn't lag one bit. Hell my old Droid doesn't lag one bit.

I'll see how much the plan costs, then if its reasonable, i'll get it.

I'm on Verizon and feel totally opposite. I'm dreading the iPhone launch on VZW :(. Because I'm afraid half of AT&Ts smart phone users are going to jump ship to VZW and totally kill the network while all the loyal AT&T users will enjoy a nice speed boost from loss of congestion, lol. I may be exaggerating a little, but I'm actually expecting this to some degree.

While Verizon network will take a hit I dont it be that drastic everyone is making it to be. Verizon network is more robust and well built than AT&T's network. Verizon can take increase network traffic and still handle it well. Not saying it wont take a hit, but I doubt its going to be anything servere. Plus, if the iPhone hits Verizon which at this point Im sure it will, it be a 4G device. This is Apple we are talking about, they are going to want to take advantage of the 4G network which AT&T isn't even close to rolling out. I dont see the iPhone affecting Verizon's 3G and 4G network at all. Verizon's 4G LTE network is looking to be one hell of a network as well.

I'll be keeping my Droid. iPhone is all bullshit Apple hype. So what if it's got more games? I didn't buy a PHONE for gaming.

I don't get my phone for games, I get a computer for that. ;) Seriously, your basing which phone you buy because of games? How about the the massive amount of Droid phones that are available across all providers that have open source software at their hands? It's only a matter of time before the apps surpass the iOS.

I don't get my phone for games, I get a computer for that. ;) Seriously, your basing which phone you buy because of games? How about the the massive amount of Droid phones that are available across all providers that have open source software at their hands? It's only a matter of time before the apps surpass the iOS.

Agreed. Honestly, how many different apps do you need that all do the same thing more or less? Quality, not quanity!

Agree as well, I would buy a video game system...I truly think android by far us better than the iphone OS.

Ill be coming back instantly. Android has plenty of unresolved problems and support is crap unless you have the most popular phones and support gets dropped fast too. When I got android I find myself using the phone less and less to the point now I am really just calling and texting. I dont even bother to use the browser or email because its a pain in the ass a lot of the times.

lmao.. So if VNZ's network is better, which network are you referring to.. The CDMA network that VZN is in process of replacing or the LTE network that has basically no current coverage. If I were a VZN subscriber I can guarantee you I wouldn't be renewing any contracts until it all played out so that I got the best of devices after LTE has coverage. I would hate to get a phone to literally find out that I have to upgrade again just to take advantage of my carriers network.

I might jump ship, I have to keep brightness on low in order for my droid to last a day. Although, I'm not too sure if I could live without Google maps/navigation. That is the number one reason why I'm hesitant to switch

The way I see it, IOS wins in regards to 3rd party apps. and Android has numerous 1st party apps that make my life easier (google maps,voice, talk, latitude etc)

Android isn't as open as it used to be, thanks to Verizon you have to pay to USB tether if your phone is not rooted

Android isn't as open as it used to be, thanks to Verizon you have to pay to USB tether if your phone is not rooted

Sure you can. PdaNet in the market allows USB/BT tethering without root on any network.

Sure you can. PdaNet in the market allows USB/BT tethering without root on any network.

I'm referring to the USB tethering option within Android. When I first got my Droid this option was free

Like Vermillion said, I went from an iPhone to Android and haven't regretted it since. Ok true there aren't as many apps as there with Apple since not as many people want to get into Android Dev. for apps as Apple fans do, the well made apps on the market make up for it in my opinion. Plus, I like customizing the phone and not being strapped down like I felt with the iPhone

Well, having used both, I can tell you that where Apple shines is the battery life.

Android is great, I really enjoy it, but the battery life across the board is substandard when comparing to Apple. That's really what it came down to for me.

Like Vermillion said, I went from an iPhone to Android and haven't regretted it since. Ok true there aren't as many apps as there with Apple since not as many people want to get into Android Dev. for apps as Apple fans do, the well made apps on the market make up for it in my opinion. Plus, I like customizing the phone and not being strapped down like I felt with the iPhone

Funny thing is outside of a few games every app I used on my iPhone had an Android counterpart.

As for customizing I'm with you there. I'm in the middle of making my own ADW theme right now in fact because the base icons are boring. ;)

Well, having used both, I can tell you that where Apple shines is the battery life.

Android is great, I really enjoy it, but the battery life across the board is substandard when comparing to Apple. That's really what it came down to for me.

And my Droid's battery life beats the shit out of my old iPhone 3G and matches iPhone 4 based on what I see in tests over at Anandtech. Why? Because I rooted and set things right with the phone. It isn't Android that's the issue with battery life. It's that the phone manufacturers don't do enough to maximize battery life so please blame the correct people.

When my wife flooded her Blackberry we replaced it with a Droid Incredible (great phone BTW). She was getting maybe 8 hours on a charge completely stock with moderate usage. All I did was root the phone and install SetCPU to allow downclocking and ramping of the CPU based on usage. Now she gets 16 hours easy with heavy usage.

Companies like HTC and Motorola could easily create code that does the same thing SetCPU does and cook it into their ROM's. The problem is they don't because that costs money and they don't give a shit in the long run. They're making money hand over fist thanks to Android and Android's adoption rate isn't going to slow down anytime soon.

I'll be taking a pass.

If the iPhone were made by any other manufacturer, I would have to wonder if it would get so many passes in the tech media for constantly being one generation behind in terms of technology. A passable camera, mediocre battery life, a browser that can't hack it with the newer ones out there today, etc...

Meanwhile, without being stuck to having one model being released per year, the hardware Android is running on is constantly improving, and provides a large variety of devices to choose from depending on an individuals needs.

Not to mention having Steve Jobs in your pocket telling you what you can, and can't do, with your phone - which is, in my opinion, far worse than all of the tech deficiencies. A carrier may disable a built in tethering feature, but, they can't squash the field of apps which allow you to do it without issue, and to date, Google hasn't either. Once side-loading apps is taken into consideration as well (providing an avenue for App Dev's who potentially can't get something on the market to proliferate their software), there is no truly significant way any entity can prevent users from using their hardware the way they want.

Android isn't perfect, but, I'd take a high-end Android device over an iPhone any day of the week.

I'll be taking a pass.

If the iPhone were made by any other manufacturer, I would have to wonder if it would get so many passes in the tech media for constantly being one generation behind in terms of technology. A passable camera, mediocre battery life, a browser that can't hack it with the newer ones out there today, etc...

Meanwhile, without being stuck to having one model being released per year, the hardware Android is running on is constantly improving, and provides a large variety of devices to choose from depending on an individuals needs.

Not to mention having Steve Jobs in your pocket telling you what you can, and can't do, with your phone - which is, in my opinion, far worse than all of the tech deficiencies. A carrier may disable a built in tethering feature, but, they can't squash the field of apps which allow you to do it without issue, and to date, Google hasn't either. Once side-loading apps is taken into consideration as well (providing an avenue for App Dev's who potentially can't get something on the market to proliferate their software), there is no truly significant way any entity can prevent users from using their hardware the way they want.

Android isn't perfect, but, I'd take a high-end Android device over an iPhone any day of the week.

But see, I'd love to know which android handset you are using, because not one smartphone I've ever owned, and I've owned a ton, comes close to the battery life on the iPhone 4.

I've used no less than 5 different android handsets since it's inception, and every single one doesn't even come close.

The battery life on the 4 is anything but mediocre.

But see, I'd love to know which android handset you are using, because not one smartphone I've ever owned, and I've owned a ton, comes close to the battery life on the iPhone 4.

I've used no less than 5 different android handsets since it's inception, and every single one doesn't even come close.

The battery life on the 4 is anything but mediocre.

Its got to be.. Battery life naturally shortens as time goes on, & otherwise you would be forces to buy a new iphone every year..

For the record though, its all about tweaking.. I easily got a day in a half from my g1 before it was yelling at me to go on the charger & I get 2 days on my MT3G..

as long as I can still get an unlimited data plan, I'll be jumping ship from AT&T over to Verizons network.

AT&T used to be a great carrier around here, but slowly over the past few months, the service has been progressively degrading to the point that, at times, I can't even get enough bandwidth to stream XM to my phone (even when I have full or close to full bars).

I'm not sure if they're going through some sort of technical issues locally, but I'm really starting to get sick of it. AT&T needs to get on the ball and start fixing their network, otherwise they're going to lose a lot of customers to Verizon.

I'll be taking a pass.

Not sure where you get your information but the iphone 4 has amazing battery life and one of the best cameras and video capabilities. I haven't had any issues with the browser either. You're seriously just pulling this out of your ass. Not to mention side loading and free tethering as long been on jailbroken iphones. iPhone has it's flaws, but you're pretty terrible at spotting them if those are your examples. Next time stick to AT&T only and lack of UI customization.

Given your post here I assume you have equal criticism for the absolutely terrible battery life of most recent android phones, right?

Last edited:
You couldn't pay me to go back to an iPhone. There are more quality games on my Vibrant than I have time to play, I have no need for shitTunes anymore, I don't need to waste hours on end converting videos, my phone actually gets reception and doesn't drop calls, etc, etc, etc. I could go on for days as to why this phone is better.

The battery life argument is retarded. No matter how much I use my phone I make it through the day just fine but on those occasions where I'm on the net, watching videos, and playing games constantly (traveling) I carry an extra battery or two and swap them if need be. Batteries are tiny and I can have one in my pocket and not even know it's there.

The last trip I took when I owned an iPhone went something like this....spend the day before converting videos to import, take forever loading the videos through iTunes, watch a few of them on the plane, run out of batteries half way and shut it off so I can still use the phone for business, fight over wall sockets at the airport with all of the other iPhone users to get a recharge so I can watch a video on the way back, sit on the airplane reading skymall because I didn't have enough battery life to do anything with the phone.

My trip the following week was the first with my Android phone and the experience was eye opening to say the least. Plug the phone in 15 minutes before I leave, drag the MKV HD videos from my HTPC directly on the phone (no conversion or iTunes necessary), unplug and leave. Wow, how simple is that! Watch videos and play games on the flight on a nice big and proper aspect ratio screen, go through the business day on my phone and pop in my spare battery when the phone dies, continue with my day, watch a video and play games on the flight back, and still have enough battery left to call and get a ride home. No lengthy video converting, no fighting for outlets at the airport with everyone, no running out of batteries because I can't swap in a new one, just a purely enjoyable and worry free experience.

Why on Earth would I own an iPhone when I can have one that actually works better without all of the limitations?

My DInc was rock solid, lightning fast...right up until the 2.2 update. After I was updated, the phone exhibited severe lag. While it is annoying, all of my research states that a Factory Reset solves this problem. With the way android is setup, you sync your contacts to gmail, pictures and data keep on the SD card and use AppBrain to synchronize your apps to an online account. That way, once you do a factory wipe and the phone is nearly "empty", simply install appbrain again, tell it to sync and watch your apps be loaded right back onto the phone. Your contacts will be downloaded automatically as well. Essentially there is no reason why you shouldn't do a wipe to clear up your issues as the android platform makes it nearly labor-free.

The only PITA will be to reconfigure the settings on the apps and the phone, but lets face it, it's not THAT bad!

As a side note, in regards to free tethering, the same can be accomplished on Android as long as the device is rooted :D

As a side note, in regards to free tethering, the same can be accomplished on Android as long as the device is rooted :D

Doesn't have to be rooted (at least with tmo)... Check your marketplace.

Besides that, I'm actually really happy with Android. I'm sure I would be really happy with an iPhone too, but I'd rather not look gay while I'm using my phone too :D. Low blow/shallow, I know, but it's honestly how I feel about the phone. I have a Droid and though it's not nearly as pretty and smooth as IOS, it's definitely functional. More so in some areas that I deem more important, such as widgets, file management and notification/media customization. Games are cool, but they're not that high priority for me and even if they were, I'd still take Android over IOS due to the fact that I can use a physical keyboard for input (made better with a Game Gripper) on emulators and some other native games. Games are going to exponentially get better in the next year or so too with the Tegra based phones launching early next year, the Playstation phone running Android and they're even making optimizations for devs right now for 2.3 to improve performance for existing and future games.

I don't think the app argument really holds true anymore either. There's over 100k apps in the market now and it's rising faster than the Apple store too. I'll bet it catches up in sheer numbers in the next 2 years too, not that that should mean anything significant anyways because quantity certainly doesn't mean quality. I'm sure right now, at least 90% of the time if you want to find an app in iTunes, you'll be able to find a comparable app in the Android market (excluding games of course).

So having said that, I'll definitely be going with Android for the foreseeable future. Both platforms definitely have their own strengths, but for me Android wins. I know you don't want this to turn into a OS debate, but that's inevitable with your topic and I tried to bite my tongue as much as I could about the iPhone/IOS :).

That's pretty much where I'm at. The only reason I can justify being happy for the iPhone coming to Verizon is the potential increase in Verizon's stock price. Other than that, the iPhone can stay away on AT&T's shitty network. I as well expect the iPhone to cause a flock of users leaving ATT for Verizon and blowing up the network.

Honestly?

I'm ditching my smartphone in Jan and going back down to a "feature phone".

Ehh, I went iPhone for 3 months, canceled due to crap coverage, bought a Droid.

I'll cast a vote for 'slightly worried about iPhone user mass migration hurting Verizon's network', however my issue with AT&T was a general lack of coverage more than speed. Plus Verizon has been so damn faster everywhere I'm hard pressed to believe that such a shift could reaaaaaally cause a huge issue.

As for what I'll do? I've been temped to go back to the iPhone. Really I want the iPhone's smoothness and just-works feel coupled with the Droid's handling of messaging. If the iPhone had Androids pull-down notification area I'd probably go back.

Then again, I'm wondering if just getting a newer android device with more memory might fix things, Droid 1 is a bit old now :-P

I'm referring to the USB tethering option within Android. When I first got my Droid this option was free

Huh?????

PDANet is USB Tethering, and is free in the marketplace. It can also do BT tethering (but I havenot' done that so I can't confirm.

Phone doesn't need to be rooted. Works great on my Droid.

% wise of Verizon truly getting their own iPhone early next year ? Some say 100% for sure will be announced mid January and on sale end of that month. Others say these are the same rumors going on for 3yrs now and that ATT has a contract with Apple to be the exclusive carrier for at least another a year or so, and no way can Verizon offer it yet.

Which one is reality ?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

% wise of Verizon truly getting their own iPhone early next year ? Some say 100% for sure will be announced mid January and on sale end of that month. Others say these are the same rumors going on for 3yrs now and that ATT has a contract with Apple to be the exclusive carrier for at least another a year or so, and no way can Verizon offer it yet.

Which one is reality ?

The AT&T exclusive contract goes into 2011. Nobody has an exact date of expiration though. It could be January 1, 2011 for all we know.

The AT&T exclusive contract goes into 2011. Nobody has an exact date of expiration though. It could be January 1, 2011 for all we know.

Good point. I did read something on engadget or similar tech site this week, of an ATT big shot saying something along the lines of "Exclusivity does not last forever" and sure eluded to saying he knows they won't always be the sole iPhone carrier.

But not sure if he is just saying that in broad general terms, or specifically saying it now knowing Verizon can get come Jan 1st the new year ?

Let's say Verizon is getting the iPhone pretty soon. What will they be selling ?

Just a reported exact iPhone 4 to work on their band ?

Or a iPhone 4.5, meaning a slightly improved and updated 4, with a few new features ?

Or a entirely new iPhone 5 ? But if a entire new 5th one then I would say Verizon not selling them until Summer

Last post for now. Reason it doesn't seem legitimate that Verizon is getting iPhone soon, where are the leaks and spy pics on tech sites, showing a Verizon engineer with one ? Phones always get leaked a couple of months before they go on sale. There has been zero photos or solid rumors of someone testing one ? So to me that sounds like a Verizon iPhone is much further away if at all coming next year even.

Let's say Verizon is getting the iPhone pretty soon. What will they be selling ?

Just a reported exact iPhone 4 to work on their band ?

Or a iPhone 4.5, meaning a slightly improved and updated 4, with a few new features ?

Or a entirely new iPhone 5 ? But if a entire new 5th one then I would say Verizon not selling them until Summer

If iPhone actually comes to Verizon my bet is it happens with next years iPhone refresh. So most likely iPhone 5. If Apple was really smart though they'd release one before Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) hits as Honeycomb is going to be a pretty big game changer.

Last post for now. Reason it doesn't seem legitimate that Verizon is getting iPhone soon, where are the leaks and spy pics on tech sites, showing a Verizon engineer with one ? Phones always get leaked a couple of months before they go on sale. There has been zero photos or solid rumors of someone testing one ? So to me that sounds like a Verizon iPhone is much further away if at all coming next year even.

After the whole debacle with iPhone 4 being lost and purchase by Gizmodo, any potential Verizon iPhone is probably under lock and key like no other phone before it.

Last edited:
Back