VZW "Unlimited" Data is Coming Back

Sigh, right after I switch to Tmo. Not that I've had a bad experience with Tmo, it's actually been good. I actually get slightly better coverage around town, but the random holes do get annoying. Oh well, I'm still saving a decent bit of money since Tmo started including taxes and whatnot in their base price.

Edit: I wonder if this is in response to that network study that said Tmo had caught VZW on network speed/quality. I also wonder if it will make Tmo do anything else since every other carrier now offers unlimited data again. They tend to add to or change their offerings quickly when the competition matches them.

I have Sprint with 2 Sero P 500 lines. I'm tempted to switch. I had Verizon at my old job and the service was better than Sprints. I just gotta find out how much 2 lines would cost since I would need phones. Also would both lines be throttled after 22gb?

I have Sprint with 2 Sero P 500 lines. I'm tempted to switch. I had Verizon at my old job and the service was better than Sprints. I just gotta find out how much 2 lines would cost since I would need phones. Also would both lines be throttled after 22gb?
Yes. After 22GB, you're dropped to 3G on "congested" cell towers

Starts at $100 then $20/line after that, so $120 $140 for two lines.

The throttling only happens if the tower/network is congested at the time, so I doubt you'd see much difference past that point. AT&T says the same thing on their unlimited plan (for DirecTV customers only), but I've seen people on that plan post saying they've went past 50+ GBs on that plan with no noticable throttling. I would expect Verizon to perform the same, esp since they never throttled users on their legacy unlimited data plan (at least on LTE).

I got 3 lines on T-Mobile on their 6GB SC plan with 20GBs of data stash on each line for $100/month. Not sure it's worth it for me to switch for sightly better coverage where I'm at unless I can put my other lines on a cheaper data plan to save money on the account. It is tempting though. I sold off my legacy Verizon UDP lines last year when I switched to T-Mobile, so glad I did that then since they're probably about worthless now.

One thing I hate about Verizon though is their lack of selection/compatibility for phones. Not a prob with my current 6P since it works on any carrier. But I'd have to sell my wife's Moto Z Play and mom's GS7 for a Verizon variant. Plus I like the option of buying other popular GSM only phones like the OnePlus, ZTE, and Huawei phones.

Edit: Correction - It would be $140 for 2 lines. It seems multi-line accounts start at $100 and that doesn't include the first line, so they basically start at $140 and +$20/line after that. Droid Life just did a nice follow-up post laying everything out.

That's still not too bad IMO. I remember by bill was around $135 for 2x lines on UDP too, but that was with two phones on contract as well, so it was a lot cheaper to get new phones back then on contract even after paying $200-$300 up front for it.

Last edited:
You can actually flash the GS7 if you feel comfortable doing it. All tthe S7s in the US are interchangable, once you swap the firmware.

You can actually flash the GS7 if you feel comfortable doing it. All tthe S7s in the US are interchangable, once you swap the firmware.

Oh yeah? That is News to me. I thought the hardware was actually slightly different in the bands they support still. Googling it, I can only see this thread where someone attempted it and seemingly failed. Have you done this or seen where someone has?

If it worked though, I guess it would work just like a stock Verizon phone then and able to receive OTA updates from Verizon, right? Would be awesome, but sounds too easy, hah.

You can flash to the 930U version (US unlocked) and it will be universal, or flash directly to the Verizon version. I'd probably go unlocked, personally.

That being said, if you can get the T-Mobile phone sim unlocked you can flash it now and test it to see if it will work on Verizon, before you make the jump.

Anyone know how the trade in works? If I trade in a G5 it says you can get an iPhone 7 32gb. Do they allow you to pay a little more for a 128gb version, or are you stuck with the 32gb version? My wife wants to try an iPhone, but I know a 32gb version wouldn't be enough.

I might try to run to a store tomorrow and talk to them. I take it that it'll cost me $140 (with autopay) for 2 lines unlimited. I'm sure after taxes and fees it'll jump to about $160. That's about $40 more than what we pay now.

I'm kinda justifying the price difference because each line has 10gb hotspot. We have two daughters who like to use their tablet when we are driving and they could now have wifi to watch stuff on Youtube, instead of watching the same stuff over and over. I was planning on adding a data plan to our account in the near future, so really, it's less than $40 a month at that point. I've been a Sprint customer for about 10 years now, but that might change very soon.

This is going to hurt Sprint and Tmobile bad.

This is going to hurt Sprint and Tmobile bad.

I'm very interested to see Tmobile's response. VZW's plan is actually priced pretty aggressively, and it includes a few perks you don't get with Tmobile's plan (HD video and full speed tethering). I expect Tmobile to at least drop their restrictions on video quality and hotspot.

I'm very interested to see Tmobile's response. VZW's plan is actually priced pretty aggressively, and it includes a few perks you don't get with Tmobile's plan (HD video and full speed tethering). I expect Tmobile to at least drop their restrictions on video quality and hotspot.
They already did today.

I switched my family plan.

Old:

$82/month w/ corporate discount for 15 gb bucket
7 lines @ $15/month
2 tablets at @ $10/month
1 Phone Extender - $22/month
$229 pretax

New:
$100/month w/ auto pay discount for unlimited
7 lines @ $20/month
2 tablets @ $20/month

$302/month pre-text

I think I'm going to drop a tablet to offset some of the cost. Not a bad deal otherwise for all you can eat data

They already did today.

I switched my family plan.

Old:

$82/month w/ corporate discount for 15 gb bucket
7 lines @ $15/month
2 tablets at @ $10/month
$229 pretax

New:
$100/month w/ auto pay discount for unlimited
7 lines @ $20/month
2 tablets @ $20/month

$302/month pre-text

I think I'm going to drop a tablet to offset some of the cost. Not a bad deal otherwise for all you can eat data

Huh, so they did. That was quick...exact changes that I expected, too.

I thought about switching, but am not ready to give up my T-Mo Jump benefit. I'm on wifi 95% of the time, anyway.

i switch over to the T-Mo One plan. Each line that uses less than 2GB gets $10 in credit. I have 4 lines, and none goes above 4. So not counting the Jump OnDemand iPhones, my bill is $120 a month (taxes and fee included). I'm paying an additional ~$60 for the iPhones without including taxes and fees though.

You guys can have unlimited, I'm on wifi too much to care. 3 lines on T-Mobile with 10GB each, plus 2 tablet lines with 6gb each. $100+tax every month.

Back