VZW to start throttling unlimited users on LTE

over 4.75 GB per cycle use essentially we now have 4.75 gb caps after which we get throttled to 56k speed

i used around 75GB of data on mine about 3 months in a row when I used it to stream HD tv last winter and they never slowed me down at all.

i used around 75GB of data on mine about 3 months in a row when I used it to stream HD tv last winter and they never slowed me down at all.

There's a thread in News about this.

And per the OP you wouldn't see it yet. It goes into effect start of October

There needs to be a massive lawsuit because this is bullshit. I was told I'd get unlimited 4G, not 5GB's of 4G and unlimited 3G. False advertisement at the least.

There needs to be a massive lawsuit because this is bullshit. I was told I'd get unlimited 4G, not 5GB 4G and unlimited 3G. False advertisement at the least.

It is most hilarious in light of Verizon taking billions of USD to build out home broadband...and then telling states that their LTE cell service counts as "broadband", and keeping their money.

You do get unlimited 4G, just throttled after a certain point. Now you can argue that throttling kills "unlimited." Good luck in court.

You do get unlimited 4G, just throttled after a certain point. Now you can argue that throttling kills "unlimited." Good luck in court.

According to Verizon this isn't considered 'throttling' either.

NnrTcpp.jpg

http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/information/data_disclosure.html

Eh screw Verizon, I left them when they no longer wanted to upgrade regular family plans and get my on a plan that was 50% more expensive that features stuff I dont need, dont use and the stuff I do need like data is taken away. AT&T is getting pretty bad but apparently not as bad as Verizon.

It only affects you if your contact is up and you're month to month. I just renewed (with unlimited data) until May 2016, so not too worried about it right now.

It only affects you if your contact is up and you're month to month. I just renewed (with unlimited data) until May 2016, so not too worried about it right now.

How? Still possible?

EDIT: Was it by buying it from Best Buy?

How? Still possible?

EDIT: Was it by buying it from Best Buy?

You can do it through Best Buy (online), but I've been doing it by transferring my upgrades to another line that's not on unlimited data.

You can do it through Best Buy (online), but I've been doing it by transferring my upgrades to another line that's not on unlimited data.

Yeah I did the transfer in March of 2013 so I assume I'm good

One of my friends with TMo has never felt he's been "optimized" because he's in one of those low populated neighborhoods near the freeway. His only connection is TMo and has Netflix playing like all day. He's a work from home dad with a 3 yo. (baby mama is a nurse.)

They're being very vague about how much they're going to slow down the top 5% during network optimization. The devil's in the details!

They're being very vague about how much they're going to slow down the top 5% during network optimization. The devil's in the details!

It usually means it would optimize the tower to provide enough bandwidth for all users connected to the tower. However, the heavy user will receive lower speed. To me its just a lazy excuse to not update their backhaul

I hate verizon. I have unlimited data, but every single time I have ever been in a situation where I would actually use it their network has been so bad that it was pointless.

It usually means it would optimize the tower to provide enough bandwidth for all users connected to the tower. However, the heavy user will receive lower speed. To me its just a lazy excuse to not update their backhaul

backhaul isn't really the problem... it's the link between the cell tower and <insert number> of users...

the way Verizon is solving for that problem is adding more "links" between cell tower and users (via XLTE spectrum)... but that's a medium to long term solution that requires planning (need to buy spectrum, get users to use XLTE/AWS-enabled phones, ...)

"Deeply troubled" is code for...we'll do nothing about it and then in a few more months state how "deeply troubled" we are again.
This.

Speaking and acting are two different things.

Guess vzw was late with their lobby money this month.

wow

i guess i am not moving off verizon afterall. i actually enabled wifi on my phone for the first time yesterday at my home.

Surprising turn of events! Verizon actually reneged on their plans for "Network optimization." No throttling for unlimited data users!

Shamelessly ripped from the comments:

vhpy.gif

I've been using my Verizon UDP as my primary/only internet for over a year and in my opinion they've been throttling users after a certain point for sometime. If anything, this is just a publicity stunt by them as it put them in negative light and got the FCC on their case.

I'm absolutely positive that my internet speeds use to be a lot (a lot) faster until I started using a lot of data (everything else the same) on a monthly basis. So, they're fucking lying, IMO.

I've been using my Verizon UDP as my primary/only internet for over a year and in my opinion they've been throttling users after a certain point for sometime. If anything, this is just a publicity stunt by them as it put them in negative light and got the FCC on their case.

I'm absolutely positive that my internet speeds use to be a lot (a lot) faster until I started using a lot of data (everything else the same) on a monthly basis. So, they're fucking lying, IMO.

You may not be throttled but others may be prioritized over you.

Or maybe they have figured out a way of identifying people who are abusing the terms of service on their data plans and are throttling them?

i live in NYC and have unlimited. Im fairly certain, unless you consider 1mbit/s download speeds as being throttled that it doesnt happen with people who had unlimited.

i regularly hit 20-40gb/month. I travel a few weekends a month and the unlimited is an absolute must when it comes to pulling stuff off google drive/drop box and/or moving around information or data that i consider sensitive that i refuse to broadcast over public wifi even though i also have a vpn.

fwiw, torrenting as far as i can tell is absolutely not against TOS. although I've rooted my phone and have tether functionality, I basically never use it and would only consider it in a dire straits situation-- which basically would never happen anyway because I use android and have expandable storage in my microSD that i can shuttle between my tablet or macbook.

You may not be throttled but others may be prioritized over you.
Overall speeds went down, a lot.

Or maybe they have figured out a way of identifying people who are abusing the terms of service on their data plans and are throttling them?

Or maybe my phone comes with built-in WIFI from the manufacturer and I should be able to actually use it (not have my phone gimped out of greed). Yeah, that.

Or maybe my phone comes with built-in WIFI from the manufacturer and I should be able to actually use it (not have my phone gimped out of greed). Yeah, that.

i have no idea how you get away with tethering. That's a line I wont even cross and I imagine that most unlimited users sit between 10-40gb. Those of you guys hitting 50+ are obviously tethering.

That means you are on a congested tower, do you have an AWS capable phone or XLTE as Verizon likes to advertise) More spectrum should be up on AWS than the 700mhz band that Verizon has used since LTE was launched.

That means you are on a congested tower, do you have an AWS capable phone or XLTE as Verizon likes to advertise) More spectrum should be up on AWS than the 700mhz band that Verizon has used since LTE was launched.

I have a Note 3. Is the Note 3 an AWS capable phone?

i have no idea how you get away with tethering. That's a line I wont even cross and I imagine that most unlimited users sit between 10-40gb. Those of you guys hitting 50+ are obviously tethering.

They know, they've told me it was obvious before when on the phone with them. The most I've hit in one month was 201GB but that was just a test to see if they would slow me down after extreme usage, which after that, I personally think they did, permanently...lol. I use to get like 40-50 megs down and now it's like 10-15 down, max.

Something has changed.

I have a Note 3. Is the Note 3 an AWS capable phone?

They know, they've told me it was obvious before when on the phone with them. The most I've hit in one month was 201GB but that was just a test to see if they would slow me down after extreme usage, which after that, I personally think they did, permanently...lol. I use to get like 40-50 megs down and now it's like 10-15 down, max.

Something has changed.

If they were throttling you, I think it would be much slower than 10-15 down. When you're throttled in any other carrier, it's down to near dial-up speeds, as in < 1 Mb/s. I'd bet it's something else going on, like more network congestion, some sort of interference, or something else. Reason I say this is because I've see several other users post screenshots of them using several hundred GBs (saw one that used a TB, lol) on Verizon's UDP consistently with no issues. A few guys actually had the routers with the SIM card slots so they could use it explicitly as an ISP for their home. One of those guys posted in this forum too and the router he used.. it was like a $300+ router I think.

If they were throttling you, I think it would be much slower than 10-15 down. When you're throttled in any other carrier, it's down to near dial-up speeds, as in < 1 Mb/s. I'd bet it's something else going on, like more network congestion, some sort of interference, or something else.

Possibly. It would have to be congestion though and not some other interference. I've tested my connection speeds too many times over the years for it to be anything other than the new congestion of the tower I (must) connect to most.

Reason I say this is because I've see several other users post screenshots of them using several hundred GBs (saw one that used a TB, lol) on Verizon's UDP consistently with no issues.
Holy fuck. I thought my 201GB was the .00001% of UDP users...lol.

A few guys actually had the routers with the SIM card slots so they could use it explicitly as an ISP for their home. One of those guys posted in this forum too and the router he used.. it was like a $300+ router I think.
Seen them, almost bought one too. I just never took it that far. My phone does it good enough for the most part. Is it possible I've burnt out my phones internal NIC card some (not sure what the technical name for them is)? It that possible?

Last edited:
Nice! I wonder who scared them into doing that
The FCC

Verizon agreed to special rules and provisions to get their C block spectrum. Whoever thought announcing an initiative such as throttling this publicly must have been fired by now.

If they were throttling you, I think it would be much slower than 10-15 down. When you're throttled in any other carrier, it's down to near dial-up speeds, as in < 1 Mb/s. I'd bet it's something else going on, like more network congestion, some sort of interference, or something else. Reason I say this is because I've see several other users post screenshots of them using several hundred GBs (saw one that used a TB, lol) on Verizon's UDP consistently with no issues. A few guys actually had the routers with the SIM card slots so they could use it explicitly as an ISP for their home. One of those guys posted in this forum too and the router he used.. it was like a $300+ router I think.

where can one find one of these routers? Now I am intrigued.

If I buy 1 of those routers, remove my home internet, I would probably breakeven in 6 months.

Back