VW Enine PC for Make A Wish Foundation

linuxfueled

Weaksauce
The case is a machined out VW 1700cc Type 4 engine block. The motherboard is a swing rack all hand made with blue lexan back. I have included some photos with older hardware in place to show how it will generally be configured. Older VW engines had a case made of aluminum and were a split block design. I welded a hinge on the back so the two halves swing open and close.

Vacuum molding is next on the list....

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Did you bead blast the block? It looks great.

Very cool idea and an upstanding gesture for a worthy charity. :cool:
Once this mod gets moving, I hope readers pass on the auction info, especially to all the VW shops, dealerships, custom car shops, etc. where this mod would fit perfectly.

The concept is functional art. While it would be easy to just add on all the true parts and make it look like a typical VW engine, the idea is a blend of art and engineering. The case was cleaned and painted. The inside was machined on a Bridgeport to make more room. The piston sleeves will be made from plastic and vacuum formed.

As a former Make A Wish recipient (I was 15 and am now 36) I can't thank you enough for the gesture. I'll be sure to make a bid as I can't repay the foundation enough for what they have done for myself and thousands of children who were blessed by their work.

I can't help but wipe a tear from my eyes when I think of all of the random people who donate money and or time to help fight childhood cancer and other terminal illness's.

I think I speak for us (Terminally ill children) when I say that Make a Wish is the last thing any of us is thinking about while laying in a hospital bed. When a doctor tells you that you may not survive another year or two you aren't really worried about Disney World or Magic Johnson or what anyone can do for you.

I count myself as one of the lucky ones and sadly I haven't done enough to repay the debt that I feel that I owe to Make a Wish for bringing that little bit of happiness into an otherwise hopeless situation. I lost a lot of good friends that I met in the hospital and hopefully Make a Wish made their last few months on this earth happier.

Thank you linuxfueled for going out of your way to do something that many outside our modding or geek community would find pointless or a waste of time. I hope that the funds raised make a difference in at least one sick child's life.

Bolts for case in place to see what I am looking at for molding see through piston sleeves and molded pistons.

Front crank covers made from blue tinted lexan.

This case was damaged internally. Most likely from my brother drag racing it at New England Dragway in NH. It sat next to the dumpster at work for a week just staring at me, begging to be reborn as something new:)

Last edited:
interesting using VW parts in a pc build, if it was a 2.0 liter block from a 914 you could have put the Porsche label on it to bring in the big bucks... :D

You're my hero!

Also, Didn't know the VW Type 2 at one point had a boxer 4, let alone made it's own boxer engine. Although small, it must have sounded awesome being a boxer engine!

Good job on the build. Looks great, unique concept and it's for a great cause!

You're my hero!

Also, Didn't know the VW Type 2 at one point had a boxer 4, let alone made it's own boxer engine. Although small, it must have sounded awesome being a boxer engine!

Good job on the build. Looks great, unique concept and it's for a great cause!

All air cooled VWs had a flat 4 motor. The original Type II (Vans, Bus) were just like the VW Bugs with an upright fan shroud. Somewhere along the line as more space was needed in the interior, they switched to the Type IV motor (squareback, notchback, fastback) which has a fan that sits behind the motor. The next progression was wasserboxer (water cooled flat 4s) motors in the Vanagon. Those lasted until the Eurovan with it's front mounted inline 4 from the Golf/Jetta.

As a VW nut, I think that case is awesome. :D

All air cooled VWs had a flat 4 motor. The original Type II (Vans, Bus) were just like the VW Bugs with an upright fan shroud. Somewhere along the line as more space was needed in the interior, they switched to the Type IV motor (squareback, notchback, fastback) which has a fan that sits behind the motor. The next progression was wasserboxer (water cooled flat 4s) motors in the Vanagon. Those lasted until the Eurovan with it's front mounted inline 4 from the Golf/Jetta.

As a car nut, I appreciate the education! thanks

Next week if I get all the parts ordered, I will start the heating box for the lexan. I will be taking a type 4 head from the motor and vacuum forming a replica that will house the power supply and other items.

If you were going to water cool the case (silly for an air cooled VW,I know), it'd be neat to see the oil pump casing with a lexan window used as the fluid pump :D

a little VW engine correction...

the (squareback, notchback, fastback) came with a ' type 3 engine ' based on the type 1 bug / bus engine block, your correct with the cooling on the type 3 engine starts at the end of the crank... making it the 1st VW air cooled suit case boxer engine... the type 4 based engines came in 1972 for the VW bus & VW 411 & VW 412's ( 411/412's were replacements to the type 3 lineup ) and used in the Porsche 914.... Which was sold in Germany as a VW due to lack of body style & HP ... ( yes, I'm a major VW nut )

Piston cylinder, and oven forming parts are in route. Might have actually found a used 1700 type 4 head I can use for casting or vacuum forming.

Just came in. I need to make 4 of these cast in clear acrylic.

The nichrome wire and porcelain parts came in for the heater to shape lexan.

Forget the acrylic casting, I bought 3 more piston cylinders. The look is better and its cheaper than the materials to make them in acrylic.

Last edited:
Getting the heads ready for sandblasting and forming custom made Lexan valve covers.

Last edited:
Piston sleeve reservoir underway. These will hold the water. Custom blue end caps made from lexan.

wow... impressive undertaking.

very ironic that you are using an air-cooled motor to water cool a computer lol.

Back