VW and Nvidia Team Up to Bring AI to the New Electric Microbus

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
VW and Nvidia announced they will be working together to bring NV-based AI systems to the new electric microbus. This AI will have Intelligent Co-Pilot features that will make driving safer. Some of the other features are natural language speech recognition, driver monitoring, and gesture input for cockpit controls. All in all it sounds like VW wants to go all out on this model. Also, they aren't going to stop there because VW and Nvidia will be partenering on future models of VW vehicles. Nvidia just keeps adding to their long list of automaking partners.

The I.D. Buzz that Volkswagen is developing is aiming to go into production in 2022, and should come with AI onboard, thanks to this partnership today. It’s not quite the iconic camper van it replaces, but it could be something better.

So sounds like all that "lane departure assist" and "intelli-break" stuff that exists with cars already, but instead call it "AI" and it's totally different.

So sounds like all that "lane departure assist" and "intelli-break" stuff that exists with cars already, but instead call it "AI" and it's totally different.

It's level 4 and level 5 autonomous driving. Both are well beyond lane departure.

It's level 4 and level 5 autonomous driving. Both are well beyond lane departure.
The AI features will be based on Nvidia Drive IX platform, and can enable features like face recognition-based door unlocking, gesture input for cockpit controls, natural language speech recognition and even monitoring a driver’s attentive and distracted state for providing safety alerts to bring them back to focus.

AI in vehicles is often thought of as a means to achieving full self-driving capabilities, but this is an example of what it might be able to do in production cars in the nearer term, long before fully Level 4 and 5 autonomy is available in the average consumer vehicle sold directly to individuals.
You read this different than I, I guess. Because I read this as there's "AI" in the car, but this is 'long before' (i.e. it's not in this car) level 4 and 5 autonomy.

You read this different than I, I guess. Because I read this as there's "AI" in the car, but this is 'long before' (i.e. it's not in this car) level 4 and 5 autonomy.

The video of the VW Minibus had the front driver and passenger seats literally rotating backwards and the intent is the vehicle driving by itself. The new Nvidia Drive Pegasus and Drive Xavier are both level 4 minimum capable with the Pegasus focusing on driverless taxis and level 5 autonomy from what I understand. I watched the CES presentation. I can't speak for what is in the article.

Back