Vulnerability Allows Hackers To Hijack Your Wireless Mouse and Keyboard

Saw this coming about 10 years ago.
No wireless here :)

Always wash your hands well after you mousejack...just sayin'.

I especially like the fact that they tell you to go to mousejack.com to see what devices are affected... and Firefox doesn't go there because the website is incorrectly configured to be secure.

None here either. But for a different reason, I hate replacing batteries when I'm in the middle of something.

Ditto. I hate dealing with batteries. The only computers that have Wireless anything are my HTPC's. They have the affected Logitech K400r's, but those appear patchable.

They are on Linux boxes running Kodi. I wonder if I can patch them from Linux, or if I need to plug them into a windows box.

And people think I'm crazy when I say I don't like wireless stuff just for the sake of it being wireless. Wireless anything is always going to be an attack vector. The consumer home automation market is where it gets really scary. Everything is wireless, even security cameras. That's just dumb. stuff like that should all be hard wired you need to run UPS power to it anyway, so POE makes sense.

Though if I had a full blown PC as a HTPC I probably would go wireless for the keyboard/mouse. My TV remote works for the raspberry Pi though so I just use that. It's voodoo magic to me that it works given there is no communication going on between the Pi and the TV and no infrared sensor going to the pi, but hey, it works! Aliens!

Reactions: Nenu
like this
I just tried applying the supposed fix to my htpc which has a k830, it doesn't appear to do anything though. Logitech's response and the link to the 'fix' are here: Logitech Response to Unifying Receiver Research Fi... - Logitech Forums

You have to install the Unifying software first: Unifying Software - Logitech Support. Once this is installed, you download the firmware in your link and run it. It doesn't appear to do anything but if you follow the instructions from your link, when you run the Unifying software and click Advanced there the Update Firmware button is now enabled and should update the firmware to version 012.005.00028. I have the k830 keyboard that I use as an HTPC remote and the MX Master mouse that I connect using the unifying receiver. Just updated both of those dongles successfully.

I have been using, and always will use a wired keyboard and mouse on my desktop PC. In the past, not really for security but because I find wired devices to be more convenient due to lack of needed battery, and I always believed wired keyboards and mice were faster.

Prefer wired for home but wireless for travel. I am 0% worried about this because 1) when I am not sitting at my comp it is locked (making kb/mouse inject do nothing) and 2) when I am sitting here if it starts behaving funky it gets yanked.

I rate this "security threat" as roughly the equivalent of a toddler running up and touching my keyboard or stealing my mouse.

Side note - Unless you get jacked in a hotel/apartment, bad guy is probably in your house which means you need better friends ;)

While I use wired keyboards for my desktops I'll never go back to wired mice. And I do use wireless keyboards for HTPC use and there's really no way to do that wired. Like most everything else in tech, there's a security/convenience tradeoff. Few are going to give up WiFi and as other wireless technologies become available, power, display connectivity, etc. they no doubt will face security issues. But getting rid of wires just tends offer tons convenience.

Back