Vulkan Now Available on macOS By MoltenVK Being Open-Sourced

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Phoronix is reporting that as of today, Vulkan is available on Apple's iOS and macOS platforms. While not officially supported by Apple, thanks to an arrangement with Valve, the MoltenVK library to run Vulkan on iOS/OSX is being open sourced under the Apache 2.0 license and available to all. Given Valve's involvement in getting Vukan to macOS, they have launched Vulkan support for DOTA 2 on macOS, and it is showing up to a 50% performance increase over OpenGL.

In my opinion this is great news for everyone. The more that Vulkan gets adopted the better, especially now when no one can buy a GPU reasonably. The quote below also outlines an exciting possibility of getting Vulkan running on Linux over WINE in the future. Thanks to cageymaru for the story.

The Khronos Group members working on Vulkan are also still involved in getting the API running on top of Direct3D 12 too, but today is just about the Vulkan 1.0 for Mac news. It will certainly be interesting to see what comes of this and how the adoption goes now that macOS developers can freely and easily make use of Vulkan there now too. This is hopefully good news too if game studios begin making use of Vulkan on Mac and thereby increasing support for this graphics API and Linux stands to benefit too. Wine should also be another important benefactor of this work with now being able to leverage Vulkan on macOS as part of bringing Direct3D 12 over Vulkan, etc.

Last edited:
Good, I guess. Be on the lookout for some genius at Apple finding a way to screw this up because it doesn't make them any money.

Apple won't like this. Plus I'm sure this implementation of Vulkan is not as good as pure Metal or pure Vulkan. Running Vullkan on top of Metal will certainly effect performance a bit.

Apple won't like this. Plus I'm sure this implementation of Vulkan is not as good as pure Metal or pure Vulkan. Running Vullkan on top of Metal will certainly effect performance a bit.
Likely not, how soon till an update breaks it ;)
Then again there's always the possibility the ease of cross platform support is something apple may like /s

It can't be hard to improve upon Apple's piss-poor performance in OpenGL that's for sure.

Reactions: DocNo
like this
MAC gaming has always been a joke, it would be nice to see if that could be corrected.

Back