VTP Question

nerdawg4

Limp Gawd
Here's the setup:
Two Cisco 2950 switches
Trunk line between them
Switch1 is configured as a VTP server for the VTP domain
Switch2 is configured as a VTP client in the VTP domain

I'm using two different simulated lab environments and getting two different results, so here is my question.

In the real world, if I assign a port to a vlan on Switch1, when Switch2 gets its VTP update from Switch1, will Switch2 then set itself to assign that same port to the same vlan?

Someone is telling me that it will, but I always thought that VTP did not propagate information about which ports to assign to which VLANs.

Thanks for any information.

Last edited:
VTP only propagates VLAN information. Create a VLAN on the VTP Server and it gets created on the VTP Client. Nothing about port assignment...VTP doesn't care about that. It's just so you can create a VLAN on one switch and have it sent out. Else you have to create the VLAN on every switch that needs to know about it.

In the real world, you will never use VTP. It's not something people trust, for a variety of reasons.

My favorite is the company that blows away all of the VLANs by adding a new switch that has a higher VTP revision number because some one was using it in a lab to train on and learn about VTP.

My favorite is the company that blows away all of the VLANs by adding a new switch that has a higher VTP revision number because some one was using it in a lab to train on and learn about VTP.

unless the switch came preconfiged with the correct vtp domain and password for the vtp process/domain it shouldnt matter. their fault if they weren't using even simple plaintext auth for the VTP domain.

there's a reason authentication is used for all the routing and L2 switching protocols....so stupid shit as mentioned above never happens. if they somehow had their lab and live/prod networks linked thats also their fuckup....wont see a tear from me on that one.

Back