vSphere v6.0 Beta 2 Now Open

SGalbincea

Weaksauce
Not sure if you all saw this, but vSphere v6 is in open beta now, all you have to do is sign up here:

https://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/vsphere-beta

Been running in my lab on my laptop for a few days now and there are some really nice improvements. Since it is under NDA I cannot discuss them, but if you are a VMware shop or interested in VMware it is definitely worth your time to check out the new upcoming features.

Thank you, sir! The page takes a moment to load for me after I log in.

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea it was publicly available. I'm going to grab it now and start running it!

Edit: Interesting, no vCSA for 6.0 yet.

Last edited:
From what I'm reading the vCSA is part of the vCenter ISO. Haven't been able to get it to install yet on VMware Fusion July Tech Preview.

I only got so far as to downloading everything... hoping to carve out time this week to start playing around with it.
I'm kind of also curious when the new VCP6 exam/cert will drop... :)

Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea it was publicly available. I'm going to grab it now and start running it!

Edit: Interesting, no vCSA for 6.0 yet.

vCSA is on the main ISO now, took me a second to find it as well. ;)

So it looks like this release will not actually be called vSphere 6 but vSphere 2015. See https://twitter.com/BenBfathi/status/484082073007702016

This also means that it most likely won't be ready for VMworld this year, and that VMware may not be doing annual releases anymore (which arguably were quite a pain in spending time to upgrade).

So it looks like this release will not actually be called vSphere 6 but vSphere 2015. See https://twitter.com/BenBfathi/status/484082073007702016

This also means that it most likely won't be ready for VMworld this year, and that VMware may not be doing annual releases anymore (which arguably were quite a pain in spending time to upgrade).

vsphere 2015 is probably the code name related to year of release, while version and branding is 6.

Thanks for sharing!

I use vsphere at work and now I have some 'legitimate' reading to do hahahaha

Interesting, open beta with NDA.

The purpose of the NDA is to keep the online bitching down and to "control the message". I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know whether there's stuff to bitch about, but in general that's really the only reason for an NDA on an open beta, you don't want people to post negative content.

The purpose of the NDA is to keep the online bitching down and to "control the message". I haven't looked at it yet so I don't know whether there's stuff to bitch about, but in general that's really the only reason for an NDA on an open beta, you don't want people to post negative content.

The idea is to stop things from getting written that'll get fixed in the final release and muddying the waters. It's odd to do it on an open beta but you're right, it's about controlling the message.

Dammit. There are a few things they changed that make me mad...Too bad I can't talk about it here.

Yeah I ran it and installed when open beta 2 installed.

Some things are just WTF.

Upgraded a vSphere 5.5 lab. It works for a few days then vCenter hosed itself, logs weren't being generated and services wouldn't start, couldn't figure it out, so I wiped the entier vCenter Vm and created a new fresh install.

Haven't had a lot of time to play with it.

Hoping to play with it in a few weeks, short staffed at work at the moment, so don't have the time to do it yet on my test lab :(

Back