VRAM: Hynix vs. Elpida

c3k

2[H]4U
I'm in the market for a new video card. The R9 is the winner. ;)

In typical fashion, I've gone from thinking that 270x would be sufficient and a 280x would be the nice to have card, to thinking that the 280x would the minimum solution and a 290 would be nice. Now, I realize it'll have to be an R9 290. Because. ;)

Sure, all it'll be driving is a 1080p projector (HDMI to a Denon 3312ci amp which will split the sound to the surround/subwoofer system, and the video signal to the Epsom 8350 HD projector to my 110" screen. Gaming goodness...) I'm selling my wife on the increased cost as needed for future-proofing.

Anyway...VRAM. I've read a LOT about how hot the Elpida vram seems to run. Hynix seems to be the memory thay you want on your card.

-How do I check without removing the shroud/heatsink from the card?
-Can you tell by checking the sku?
-Do any card manufacturers only use one or the other memory type?
-Is Hynix being phased in (only old (used) cards would have hot Elpida)?

Thanks!
Ken

there is a tool somewhere called hawaiiinfo, running that can tell you which type of memory it has.

as far as hynix vs elpidia, I haven't seen any difference in gaming, just mining.

Well I had a Asus R9 290 DirectCUII with Elpida and was plagued with the black screen crash issue - http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

From what I heard, Elpida was being used as a replacement due to the shortage of Hynix, because of the Hynix plant fire. Seems there may have been problems with some of the Elpida memory being used.

RMA'd the DirectCUII for a Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X (with Hynix) and not a single issue yet. Amazing card! - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202103&cm_re=290_vapor_x-_-14-202-103-_-Product

Excellent! Just the kind of information I was looking for.

But, um, any way of telling what type of memory is in it BEFORE purchasing it?

Well I had a Asus R9 290 DirectCUII with Elpida and was plagued with the black screen crash issue - http://www.overclock.net/t/1441349/290-290x-black-screen-poll

From what I heard, Elpida was being used as a replacement due to the shortage of Hynix, because of the Hynix plant fire. Seems there may have been problems with some of the Elpida memory being used.

RMA'd the DirectCUII for a Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X (with Hynix) and not a single issue yet. Amazing card! - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202103&cm_re=290_vapor_x-_-14-202-103-_-Product

Really to small of a sample size to be conclusive. For example my 290x uses Elpida ram and I have had no problems with the memory.

Excellent! Just the kind of information I was looking for.

But, um, any way of telling what type of memory is in it BEFORE purchasing it?

There was a guy who was pretty sure he found a method by looking at the UPC number; however, it was pretty quickly debunked.

I think if Hynix memory is a big deal for you, buy a used card off of ebay that has confirmed Hynix memory and a transferable warranty (Asus, MSI, and XFX). Sure the card will have been mined on, but at least it have at least 1yr + warranty.

Here was a 290x with hynix memory that went for 350 http://www.ebay.com/itm/XFX-AMD-R9-...739?pt=PCC_Video_TV_Cards&hash=item4622ab139b

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Nah, I'm not bent on Hynix. But, this is for a HTPC, so I'd like to keep the vram temps as low as possible. That's the only reason I've looked into this. They seem to drive fans/graphics issues if not cooled enough.

If vram temps aren't dependent on Hynix/Elpida, I don't care. But, I think they may... :)

Ken

I had the same asus card, I RMA'd it 4 times, and sold it when I got one that worked. It had elpida memory and so many many issues. Ugh, the 780ti I have now has hynix ram.

The Elpida memory on my GTX 770 runs fine at 8000 MHz so I cant complain.
Most issues I have heard about seems limited to mining.

I have a similar setup with the Epson 8350. I was running the 7970 GHz so basically a 280x. I would say that for pretty much anything that I threw at it ran great. I recently upgraded that machine to a 290 and really can't tell a difference, well a little as I can crank up goodies like aa and effects. I will suggest getting the color settings right on the projector as the default amd and Epson for theater make the yellows a little washed out.

Sorry as far as the hynix vs elpida, according to the guy who made the custom scrypt mining bios there is just crap algorithms written in the stock bios' for the elpida stuff. So if you go with the custom modified bios on a 290x for example you would go from 800khash/sec to close to 1000khash. I don't really think that games really need or utilize the same opencl paths or stress the memory bus in a way that any of this really matters as far as fps or playability. Also the custom bios stuff disables parts of the card (mainly rops) to save power so cripples actual gaming performance so I would not run those on your cards.

I have a similar setup with the Epson 8350. I was running the 7970 GHz so basically a 280x. I would say that for pretty much anything that I threw at it ran great. I recently upgraded that machine to a 290 and really can't tell a difference, well a little as I can crank up goodies like aa and effects. I will suggest getting the color settings right on the projector as the default amd and Epson for theater make the yellows a little washed out.

Ar the risk derailing my own thread, what gpu/projector settings are you running?

Thanks for the data point: this is exactly what I was hoping for.

Ken

Weird, one of my 770 GTX SC has Hynix Vram, the other 770 SC has the newer Elpida type memory. I don't see a difference. Both are very stable at 7600mhz clock(+400 overclock)

As someone who is an occasional reader I do not believe I have ever seen a thread necro on this forum. I am sure there have been but this is my first!

At least for the 290 the reason people preferred the hynix is because it would oc to 1500 and the elpida wouldn't get even close to that. I don't recall seeing any meaningful difference in temps. All of the cards ran hot as hell regardless brand of ram used.

If you wanna keep temps down the simple solution is not buy a 290 lol. For a media center I would probably be looking at something powerful and low wattage like a 960.

Edit: damn didn't even notice the necro nice catch ragnarz.

At least it was necro'd to share a vital bit of info with the forum. Some dude has a 770 with hynix AND a 770 with elpida. I'm not sure what this means for mankind yet but I am going to lock myself in a room for a few weeks and ponder the ramifications of this development. Thank you Sean you have given us much food for thought ;-)

This is the first report I've heard of Elipda being used for 7Gbps GDDR5 chips on a shipping product. So that was interesting for me.

Small sample size but maybe it could be 7Gbps Elpida is better than their 6Gbps offerings.

Back