VR Sim Chair build for Vive/Rift

Well, I've gotten a few questions from folks on how I built this, so I thought I'd post a few more pics and share some info. Here's the completed Sim Chair:

VvT8TH6.jpg

Not counting the HOTAS, wheel and pedals, it cost just under $500 to build.

Got the leather seat from a local pick-n-pull junk yard out of a Volvo v70 ($19)
Cannibalized a GT Omega Stand I ordered for the wheel mount ($149)
Used 2 square metal Ikea table legs I cut down to build the throttle/joystick stands ($20)
Used parts from an Ikea chair frame for the arm rests ($50)
Installed a Dayton Audio SA100 100W Sub Amp from Parts Express ($85)
2 AuraSound AST-2B-4 Pro Bass Shaker Transducers from Parts Express ($80)
4x4s, 2x4s, plywood, stain, caster wheels and assorted hardware from Home Depot (~$85)
Cut up a cheap black door mat, also from Home Depot, for the flooring ($6)

Also re-purposed an old 12V supply I had in a closet to power the chair adjustment motors
Took a couple of weekends to put it all together and stain it.

A few more pics of the "in-process" build and the completed chair:

3t3xuLW.jpg

jpU6fpD.jpg

ZsimX3K.jpg

mtNAWiU.jpg

ytj4gFJ.jpg

nCbrm4e.jpg

e8Rxnmg.jpg

I think it came together nicely! Getting in and out of it is a bit of a pain, but not too difficult. Everything is extremely solid - all the controls feel great, with no sway or wobble at all. The chair also adjusts forward quite a bit, so my kids can easily reach the pedals (oldest is 10), so they are going to learn to drive in VR well before getting learner's permits in about 5 years.

Luckily this sucker is in my basement man cave, so it didn't need wife approval before entering the house. :)

Last edited:
you swing the steering wheel up and away to get it, or "jump in it"?

That is very cool, wow. I love how you can actually use the car seat controls to adjust things. I've seen where people will repurpose actual car seats for projects like this but it never occurred to me that you can power and use the car seat controls.

I didn't notice the castors before, that's handy. Now you just need to motorize it so you can drive the whole thing around.

That is very cool, wow. I love how you can actually use the car seat controls to adjust things. I've seen where people will repurpose actual car seats for projects like this but it never occurred to me that you can power and use the car seat controls.

Yup, really allows for lots of adjustment to include lumbar - trick is to score a seat out of a higher end wreck. :-p

It looks fixed. He jumps over the seat like BATMAN.

Pretty much this. I am BATMAN!

I did consider using some sort of hinge setup, but it would have over-complicated things and I wanted to keep the mount clean and as solid and wobble free as possible.

Last edited:
This is literally incredible. Congrats on how it turned out.

You inspired me to pick up a G29 for my Oculus and Project Cars. I'm rubbish with manual labor, so I didn't go quite as far as you, but it mounts to my computer desk just fine and my DX Racer chair is well suited for it.

I can only play for about thirty minutes at a time, not sure if it's eye strain or pressure from the headset or just the intensity of playing it, but that's just enough to do a qualifying, sprint, and main race in the career mode. It's a blast and the most fun I've had with my Oculus, and I legit never even thought of trying it until I saw your post, so thank you.

Last edited:
I hate you by the way. Nice sim setup, and a Corvette in the garage. I mean come-on, you only need 1 right? You can ship whatever one you want less to me. :D

You inspired me to pick up a G29 for my Oculus and Project Cars. I'm rubbish with manual labor, so I didn't go quite as far as you, but it mounts to my computer desk just fine and my DX Racer chair is well suited for it.
It's a blast and the most fun I've had with my Oculus, and I legit never even thought of trying it until I saw your post, so thank you.

You're welcome! VR and sims are indeed a perfect match - the immersion is freak'n fantastic with a wheel and a HMD, really feels like you are in the car. But, like you, I'm also taking it in short bursts of a half hour or so a session. The first few times I'd break out in a cold sweat, but it's getting better. I've found that if you start to feel off, just quit - pushing through will only make it worse. My VR legs seem to be growing and damn is it fun though!

I hate you by the way. Nice sim setup, and a Corvette in the garage. I mean come-on, you only need 1 right? You can ship whatever one you want less to me. :D

Heh, I hear ya, but I just hit 50 this year so I've paid my dues... Things eventually settle down in life and you start to appreciate the joys of a disposable income... Hang in there! Sorry, but keeping both I'm afraid. Have to keep that stereotype of us old geezers driving corvettes alive! :D

Super please let us know which VR games your playing and what your favorite experiences are.

This is very well put together. I admire the care you out into this project. I havnt simraced in a few months but loved iracing with 3 monitors. I'm considering of buying a rift but it would literally be for 1 thing and that would be iracing. Very tempting. Your post inspired me! First I redo floors in my home, then a rift! Maybe haha.

Super please let us know which VR games your playing and what your favorite experiences are.

Using the chair mostly for sim games of course. Just have a Vive. Still don't have my Rift (Day one order, roughly 27 minutes in)... Don't ask, going in circles for a month now with Oculus support - was supposed to receive it early May...

Anyway, favorite current racing sims: Asseto Corsa and Project Cars. Both have what I would term "beta" level VR support, but still are really good and being actively developed further...

Other sim: Elite Dangerous. (My current favorite sim as far as VR sims go and by far the most polished and immersive. A bit of a learning curve though, so don't expect to just jump in and start shooting things.

As to other VR experiences that are good, there are lots of them, but as to sims, the above three are what I'd recommend without reservation.

Last edited:
This is very well put together. I admire the care you out into this project. I havnt simraced in a few months but loved iracing with 3 monitors. I'm considering of buying a rift but it would literally be for 1 thing and that would be iracing. Very tempting. Your post inspired me! First I redo floors in my home, then a rift! Maybe haha.

Thanks, appreciate all the positive feedback I've received! Hopefully my little chair build has inspired some of you - it was a lot of fun to build and has been very rewarding to use.

I've heard good things about iracing's VR support as well, but haven't tried it yet... Their subscription gaming model sort of turns me off since I'm more of a casual gamer, but if you are really into racing, it probably is a must have!

Back